A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Maintenance costs

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Audi's maintenance schedule clearly states that S-Tronic transmission fluid should be changed every 40k miles. This has been the standard service interval for VW Group DSG transmissions for over a decade now and service isn't cheap due to the cost of the DSG fluid itself. Air filter is every 60k on the A4 2.0T, not 40k.

I must be lucky, my local dealer does $69.95 oil change specials, its actually cheaper to do oil changes there then most indies! Other routine services like spark plug replacement weren't expensive either. Seeing $500+ quotes for these "packages" is SMH material. Audi Care itself was a questionable value, even when it was cheaper in years past. Looking at both my 2009 and 2013 A4's records, I was still able to come in at a lower total service cost over Audi Care's "package" price and that was with changing the oil every 5k (double the amount of oil changes given with Audi Care) and all services done at the dealership!
Old 08-13-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbias
I changed my DSG fluid myself. It is not that hard.
I don't know why you're arguing with me, I'm just relaying information. I didn't say I'm not doing it because it's too hard, I have not done it because Audi and my owner's maintenance manual say otherwise as far as I can tell. And like I said, if I took it in to let them do the service, they told me they weren't going to do it.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What market is the car from? The B9 A4 2.0T sold in the US/Canada comes with the 7-speed S-Tronic/DSG. Different markets may have other drivetrain combinations. Even overseas the service interval for the S-Tronic/DSG is 40k miles. Traditional automatics like the ZF 8HP 8-speed found in the B9 S4 and B8 A4 has no published service intervals from Audi.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

$1,300 definitely seemed high after looking at the service manual. I'm guessing the VW dealership I got it from, and get free oil changes from, would be less
Old 08-13-2019, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
What market is the car from? The B9 A4 2.0T sold in the US/Canada comes with the 7-speed S-Tronic/DSG. Different markets may have other drivetrain combinations. Even overseas the service interval for the S-Tronic/DSG is 40k miles. Traditional automatics like the ZF 8HP 8-speed found in the B9 S4 and B8 A4 has no published service intervals from Audi.
U.S. I'm in northeast Ohio and the car was bought from Florida.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Go by the website. Although the printed manual should have the 40k DSG fluid change interval documented in it.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

See page 3 about half way down. 40k miles, tranny fluid change on A4, 2.0T
Attached Files
Old 08-13-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's not that I don't believe you guys, but there's just conflicting information out there. Maybe 2017 was different then they decided these really can't be lifetime fluids and they changed it in 2018. Again this was also confirmed by Audi service. I didn't make this up, they told me. I'm interested to try them again and see what they say.

I'll probably be changing it myself if it's doable, because it's not worth risking it. I feel bad we took over this poor guy's thread.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DexteRS
It's not that I don't believe you guys, but there's just conflicting information out there. Maybe 2017 was different then they decided these really can't be lifetime fluids and they changed it in 2018. Again this was also confirmed by Audi service. I didn't make this up, they told me. I'm interested to try them again and see what they say.

I'll probably be changing it myself if it's doable, because it's not worth risking it. I feel bad we took over this poor guy's thread.
I'm not arguing with you, just letting you know it's not hard to change.
2017 was worded incorrectly as it says to change DSG fluid and filter and our 7 speed DSG has the filters built into the mechatronics unit and are not serviceable. The filters may very well last a lifetime as the 7 speed transmission has separate fluid for the clutches separate gear oil for the gears.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Didn't realize there was Audi Care and Audi Care Select. I'll probably end up going that route.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Maintenance costs