A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just bought a 2018 A4 - what now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2018 A4 - what now?

I just bought preowned 2018 A4 Premium with quattro. I bought it from a dealer and they showed me all the service records - everything checks out, but it's got just over 50k miles so there is no warranty. Should I have an independent mechanic take a look at it during the 3-day return window? Now that it's been out for 4 years, what are the main issues that have been popping up? Mine has no reported in-service date, but it was first titled in August 2017.

Even though this is a very basic model, I'm pretty happy with all the new features it has compared to the last Audi I owned which was a 2012 Q5. What are some must-have accessories people have gotten after their purchase? I know for sure I'll need a center console organizer of some sort, but where do you guys keep your tissue box (lol - i have bad allergies, don't judge). Favorite OBD scanners - does everyone still use VCDS? Any ECU tunes to help w/the turbo lag and improve gas mileage?

My biggest concern is how to transport 3 bikes. For those who've gotten a Curt hitch, how much ground clearance do I lose? Etrailer's website only shows this installed on Golfs so I am trying to find about about fitment on our cars. A portable trunk mounted rack is another option, but I think 3 bikes is a little extreme for this type of bike rack. I do not want to go overhead because I don't have a lot of upper body strength and am scared of smashing the sunroof, but will consider working out to get stronger if that is the most popular option

Last edited by Parsec; 04-25-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Another quick question - mine has a 'S' door sill plate and an S-line badge on the front passenger fender. There is no reference to S-Line package on the original window sticker, so was this standard badging on all 2018 A4's or was there an S-Line package and what would it include?
Old 04-25-2021, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here’s a pic - it has the monsoon grey metallic paint. I really like this color because I see a hint of green, but I don’t see this mentioned anywhere on the internet. Am I just partially colorblind so it looks green to me? Ive been known to see colors differently from others I know.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 288 Likes on 233 Posts

2018 B9 A4 in the US came with the S-Line exterior (S line bumpers, S line side sill blades. S line fender badges, S line stainless steel door sills) as standard. Will try and PM you the order guide.
Can't attach file to a PM - try this link instead - looks like it has all US 2018 models

https://www.quattroworld.com/wp-cont...04.14.2017.pdf

Last edited by A4Audi4Fun; 04-25-2021 at 08:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Parsec (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Waterpump is likely to start leaking soon, if it hasn't already been replaced. Something to watch out for since it's a $1300 (more or less) expense.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
I just bought preowned 2018 A4 Premium with quattro. I bought it from a dealer and they showed me all the service records - everything checks out, but it's got just over 50k miles so there is no warranty. Should I have an independent mechanic take a look at it during the 3-day return window? Now that it's been out for 4 years, what are the main issues that have been popping up? Mine has no reported in-service date, but it was first titled in August 2017.

Even though this is a very basic model, I'm pretty happy with all the new features it has compared to the last Audi I owned which was a 2012 Q5. What are some must-have accessories people have gotten after their purchase? I know for sure I'll need a center console organizer of some sort, but where do you guys keep your tissue box (lol - i have bad allergies, don't judge). Favorite OBD scanners - does everyone still use VCDS? Any ECU tunes to help w/the turbo lag and improve gas mileage?

My biggest concern is how to transport 3 bikes. For those who've gotten a Curt hitch, how much ground clearance do I lose? Etrailer's website only shows this installed on Golfs so I am trying to find about about fitment on our cars. A portable trunk mounted rack is another option, but I think 3 bikes is a little extreme for this type of bike rack. I do not want to go overhead because I don't have a lot of upper body strength and am scared of smashing the sunroof, but will consider working out to get stronger if that is the most popular option
I have a Curt hitch installed on my 2019 Premium Plus with standard suspension. I measured the clearance at about 8.5" from the ground for both the hitch itself and the two bolts that are protruding from the bottom of the car. (You can see one of the bolts on the pic below.) Note also that during the installation a small section of the bottom bumper needs to be cut which you can't see unless you are peering underneath the car like I was to take the photo.

Very happy with being able to carry my bikes with a hitch rack.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I can't figure out how to edit my post, but Etrailers has a bunch of photos with the Curt hitch on A4/A5s. (I remember looking at the site when I was shopping for mine.)
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=201946147

Old 04-25-2021, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec;[url=tel:25580783
25580783[/url]]I just bought preowned 2018 A4 Premium with quattro. I bought it from a dealer and they showed me all the service records - everything checks out, but it's got just over 50k miles so there is no warranty. Should I have an independent mechanic take a look at it during the 3-day return window? Now that it's been out for 4 years, what are the main issues that have been popping up? Mine has no reported in-service date, but it was first titled in August 2017.

Maybe remove the manual, and put a slim tissue box instead? Lol. In case you don't know, the owners manual have its own storage (bottom left of steering wheel).
Old 04-25-2021, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Clixt
Maybe remove the manual, and put a slim tissue box instead? Lol. In case you don't know, the owners manual have its own storage (bottom left of steering wheel).
Heck, That's been my concealed carry compartment lol.

I never got a manual, but then again I bought second-hand from Carmax.

They are regretting that, I did not extend the warranty and they have spent 20+ hours of labor and $2-4k of parts fixing:
The brakes
The MMI Controller buttons [Sticky Buttons]
Coolant Leak
Coolant Leak
Coolant Leak
Coolant Leak
Coolant Leak
Coolant Leak
Coolant Leak
Coolant Leak

Oh did I mention they are replacing everything in my cooling system except the reservoir and radiator this week so they might finally fix the coolant leak?

In all seriousness [I'm not joking about my Carmax experience, I could have bought a brand new Jetta maxed out for the price I got the used B9 A4], does anybody have any idea if there is a box, tray, or locking mechanism that is aftermarket for the left "manual" storage area next to the steering wheel?

I have quite a few essential things in there and I noticed the previous owner somehow got two credit cards stuck in between the fabric and "box" part of the compartment. I'd like to prevent a similar thing.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JCWhy
I can't figure out how to edit my post, but Etrailers has a bunch of photos with the Curt hitch on A4/A5s. (I remember looking at the site when I was shopping for mine.)
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=201946147
Ooh thank you! For some reason I only came back with 1 match the first time I tried searching and it was the model that also fit the Golf.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2018 A4 - what now?