A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How do you download maps and update them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=DirkM;24979315]Login on to https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi, then click on Audi connect services and one of the options there is the Map update.

Just tried today, and finally found the map update page. It says:
Audi owners of certain 2017 models and all 2018 or newer model vehicles should attempt to update their maps OTA (Over the Air) within the vehicle. Those owners without in-vehicle OTA capabilities should contact the Audi Customer Experience Center at 1-800-822-2834 (800-822-AUDI).

Not sure what happens if you call them, Maybe they email it?

Old 05-13-2021, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Waggin;25587926]
Originally Posted by DirkM
Login on to https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi, then click on Audi connect services and one of the options there is the Map update.

Just tried today, and finally found the map update page. It says:
Audi owners of certain 2017 models and all 2018 or newer model vehicles should attempt to update their maps OTA (Over the Air) within the vehicle. Those owners without in-vehicle OTA capabilities should contact the Audi Customer Experience Center at 1-800-822-2834 (800-822-AUDI).

Not sure what happens if you call them, Maybe they email it?
AoA used to mail a physical SD card, but mid-pandemic last summer when I called in they had suspended that policy as many were working from home.

I agree it's probably worth a call at this point as things may be changing and if you really want the updated map version.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updating maps from 64Gb SD card

I've downloaded a MMI update and maps for my 2015 SQ5. Update (using a 32Gb card) was fine. The maps. however, exceeded 29Gb (which is actually more than the space available on a 32Gb card) and I was advised to use instead a 64Gb card formatted to FAT32. I've done that and downloaded the maps to it (all in the root folder, not in subfolders). The instructions were just to put it in the SD1 slot and, after 30-60 seconds, I should get a message asking if I want to update the maps. But nothing happens, ever! Do I need to get into some menu first? I tried the settings, then update, but that just tells me my MMI is up to date and gives me no option to update maps. Any ideas?
Old 08-27-2021, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iggj
I've downloaded a MMI update and maps for my 2015 SQ5. Update (using a 32Gb card) was fine. The maps. however, exceeded 29Gb (which is actually more than the space available on a 32Gb card) and I was advised to use instead a 64Gb card formatted to FAT32. I've done that and downloaded the maps to it (all in the root folder, not in subfolders). The instructions were just to put it in the SD1 slot and, after 30-60 seconds, I should get a message asking if I want to update the maps. But nothing happens, ever! Do I need to get into some menu first? I tried the settings, then update, but that just tells me my MMI is up to date and gives me no option to update maps. Any ideas?
I suspect that because you have a MY15, you are beyond the 3 year anniversary of manufacture. My understanding is that after that 3 year mark, the car will no longer accept map updates.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soonermagic
I suspect that because you have a MY15, you are beyond the 3 year anniversary of manufacture. My understanding is that after that 3 year mark, the car will no longer accept map updates.
I think you are referring to the period (which varies between countries, actually) during which you get free updates. After that time you have to buy them - you can actually continue updating maps for ever, in theory. I have purchased the updates (a complete package including a firmware update and the latest European maps). The firmware update was required before the maps could be updated - and that part worked OK. The maps update should then have applied OK but didn't because it couldn't download to a 32Gb SD card. The solution suggested by the suppliers (UpdateMyAudi) was to use a 64Gb card and reformat it as FAT32 (so that the car MMI can recognize it) - but it doesn't seem to work. After that, technical support from the suppliers vanished into thin air - they do not respond. I really need a response from someone who actually has been through this process (successfully) - I know there are thousands of people out there who have - and can tell me how they did it!
Old 08-28-2021, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you are referring to the period (which varies between countries, actually) during which you get free updates. After that time you have to buy them - you can actually continue updating maps for ever, in theory. I have purchased the updates (a complete package including a firmware update and the latest European maps). The firmware update was required before the maps could be updated - and that part worked OK. The maps update should then have applied OK but didn't because it couldn't download to a 32Gb SD card. The solution suggested by the suppliers (UpdateMyAudi) was to use a 64Gb card and reformat it as FAT32 (so that the car MMI can recognize it) - but it doesn't seem to work. After that, technical support from the suppliers vanished into thin air - they do not respond. I really need a response from someone who actually has been through this process (successfully) - I know there are thousands of people out there who have - and can tell me how they did it!
Use AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.3 to partition the card. I have a 64GB that I was able to format to FAT32 using the program. I do not remember if there is a charge or not for it. I know you can get a trial, but I am not sure how much it will let you do.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Never mind, figured it out lol.

Last edited by JW10; 08-28-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 501 Posts

By default, every Audi B9 car in the world will only accept 5 map updates, one done every 6 months. Upgrading the firmware does not change that time limit. Whether you get this map update via OTA, myAudi portal or even asking a friend doesn't make any difference.
You can actually go to the Red Engineering Menu of your car and check the last two digits of the map update FEC code. This will tell you what your car can accept.
The problem is that once you are past this limit the message your receive when you offer up an update isn't clear enough. It doesn't tell you that your time's up, it simply says no update found. Which could actually be caused by a countless other reasons.
Only 2 real options to then keep updating maps.
1. Go to a dealer and buy a map update FEC code. You can buy a single one or a number of years worth.
2. Walk over to the dark side and that’s the only time you will hack your MMI which can then accept unlimited map updates. Please do not ask how to do this.