A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How do YOU close your trunks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I just use the inside handle. I am not a heavy slammer of the trunk or the doors. An auto down drunk should have been an option/standards on this car just like massaging seats, adjustable sport seat side bolsters, and a power tilt/telescoping function instead of manual. It would elevate the car.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Not trunk related but it is scratched paint related but does anyone else use these? https://cupeezforcars.com/about

They are magnetic vinyl door handle guards, You heat them with a hairdrier and they they form to the door.

I've been using them on all my cars for a few years. I see so many cars scratched all to hell under the handle.

Especially with the women having coated nails it will tear the paint up!
Old 04-08-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gooberman
Not trunk related but it is scratched paint related but does anyone else use these? https://cupeezforcars.com/about

They are magnetic vinyl door handle guards, You heat them with a hairdrier and they they form to the door.

I've been using them on all my cars for a few years. I see so many cars scratched all to hell under the handle.

Especially with the women having coated nails it will tear the paint up!
No use to me as I am the only driver and don't have long nails. Do they make a clear one? That would seem the most reasonable if one went this route.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyguy31
Ding Ding. This response wins!
+3 -- as someone who works in the automotive industry, specifically in top of the line off road vehicles, I can assure you that no matter how "thin" or "weak" you may perceive the clearcoat to be, hand oil is nothing but a drop in the bucket concerning wear and tear on it.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got an 2019 S4. Similar to my old A6, I generally will put up flags before I close the trunk and have police around. Then I have somebody announce to the surrounding area the trunk is about to be closed. After a final all clear a ten second count down starts and I report in to central command back home. Using the finest of silk I grasp the inside handle and ever so gently with direction from spotter I begin closing the trunk. The attached NASA force gauge tells me if I am right at the correct force to have trunk close in one motion (after years of physical practice in Japan to get the near martial arts movement just right.) Once closed we have a 4 hour post project meeting to discuss lessons learned. If anything goes wrong its generally chaos (think of a video when you see cats getting scared and they all scamper) and we postpone until next week.

Or I just close the trunk the most quickest, ungracefullest way possible, usually without enough force so I push down on the trunk (gasp!) to finish it the rest of the way. Wipe road grime off fingers on pants. I then will generally notice bird **** on the car I need to clean off once I get home or in the morning when I remember it again, and make note of the bugs on the front that will get cleaned the next time I wash the car.

This is not fine china, this is a car, and moreover, it's an Audi, part of the price is the paint quality and protection and... the car.

Now..the interior...that's a different story and usually waste 5 hours cleaning and detailing to an insane level an already immaculate interior every 3 to 6 months.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
No use to me as I am the only driver and don't have long nails. Do they make a clear one? That would seem the most reasonable if one went this route.
These seem promising, but I don't have any knowledge beyond the website:
https://www.lamin-x.com/automobile-p...up-guards.html
Old 04-09-2019, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 884 Likes on 723 Posts

I have a trunk closer on staff who closes it for me. He wears a tuxedo and white gloves. He follows me in a chase car at all times in case I decide to stop and need to open or close the trunk.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
I just use the inside handle. I am not a heavy slammer of the trunk or the doors. An auto down drunk should have been an option/standards on this car just like massaging seats, adjustable sport seat side bolsters, and a power tilt/telescoping function instead of manual. It would elevate the car.
Or just trade it for an A5 Sportback--push button closer, done.