A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Considering an A4 and Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an A4 and Have Questions

I'm a longtime Honda Accord owner, and have also enjoyed a VW Passat, and have long admired the Audi A4 Sedan. I'm a minister, 58 years old, and feel like now is the time to get a car I will really love -- not when I am old and retired. I took a few testrides and am very impressed with its smoothness, power, and overall refinement. Am leaning toward a 3 year lease to limit my exposure to unexpected repair bills down the road. Lease payments are also more affordable for me than I thought they'd be. Here are a few questions I have before making my choice:

Are there any common issues or problems I should be aware of?

Any suggestions on features to make sure to get?

Consumer Reports loves the A4 and gives it very high marks, but says the headlights are not good. Any comments on that from real-world owners? I'm likely going to get the Premium trim level.

I live in NJ. Other than the usual online ratings, any suggestions on a good dealer to work with?

THANKS.
Rev
Old 04-10-2021, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

The Premium has HID headlights, the Premium Plus and Prestige have LED’s. The headlights on the Premium Plus are not great but if you enable the auto high beams like on the Prestige it makes a huge difference. That can be done with a relatively inexpensive device and information from this forum.

I have never driven the Premium so I am not familiar with those headlights.
The following users liked this post:
ReverendRides (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
The Premium has HID headlights, the Premium Plus and Prestige have LED’s. The headlights on the Premium Plus are not great but if you enable the auto high beams like on the Prestige it makes a huge difference. That can be done with a relatively inexpensive device and information from this forum.

I have never driven the Premium so I am not familiar with those headlights.
All premiums have LED headlights and high beam assist standard now.
The following users liked this post:
ReverendRides (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys for your helpful comments!

SYM, any dealers to recommend in NJ -- both for sales and service? I've been to Bridgewater and Flemington so far.

Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any prediction on when 2022's will come out? Considering that as well in case of any refinements as seem to come most years these days.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ReverendRides
Any prediction on when 2022's will come out? Considering that as well in case of any refinements as seem to come most years these days.
Ordering should begin this month so my guess would be around September, but that's just a guess.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
All premiums have LED headlights and high beam assist standard now.
Good point. I forgot that this would be the B9.5. The Consumers Report comments as I remember them thought the Prestige was good because of the auto high beams but the other models were not that good. But since that review was for the B9’s and the B 9.5’s have new headlights it guess the best thing is to judge for yourself. I think that the B9 LED headlights with high beam assist are quite good.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought my new-to-me A4 Premium Plus last week and I think the LED lights are pretty darn good, especially on high beam. They throw light wider and further than my 2020 Silverado did with LEDs. I didn't know I could enable auto high beams on mine. That's pretty neat. Time to search the forum...
Old 04-11-2021, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BluegrassMotorsport
I just bought my new-to-me A4 Premium Plus last week and I think the LED lights are pretty darn good, especially on high beam. They throw light wider and further than my 2020 Silverado did with LEDs. I didn't know I could enable auto high beams on mine. That's pretty neat. Time to search the forum...
There is quite a bit of coding can be done to the car such as enabling auto high beam, Lane keep assist etc. Look into this forum and you will be able to find all the details.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ReverendRides
Thanks guys for your helpful comments!

SYM, any dealers to recommend in NJ -- both for sales and service? I've been to Bridgewater and Flemington so far.

Thanks again.
I bought my 2017 Allroad from SYM's old haunt - Cherry Hill Audi, and was very satisfied.

Quick Reply: Considering an A4 and Have Questions