A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Code P268100 Engine Coolant Bypass Valve Control circuit open

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 1 week later

Well all seems good with the cooling system now.

Key points.
1. Listen for the sound.
2. Keep an eye on the coolant level. My level had dropped about an inch as this problem was beginning. Didnt think much about it and just topped it off
3. A pressure test of the coolant system revealed the leaking thermostat housing and leaking water pump. Insist on a pressure test, it will save them from doing a dozen test drives. Any of these leaks will appear directly below spark plug 3 on the drivers side of the block and its tucked up under the throttle body.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dbias

Key points.
1. Listen for the sound.
2. Keep an eye on the coolant level. My level had dropped about an inch as this problem was beginning. Didnt think much about it and just topped it off
3. A pressure test of the coolant system revealed the leaking thermostat housing and leaking water pump. Insist on a pressure test, it will save them from doing a dozen test drives. Any of these leaks will appear directly below spark plug 3 on the drivers side of the block and its tucked up under the throttle body.
Thanks for the update, just top-up my coolant level but no sound or code here. 34k miles
Old 09-08-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbias

Key points.
1. Listen for the sound.
Is yours good now, still fixed? I've had antifreeze smells for the last two years. Little loss, about a1.5 cups a year. A year ago the changed water pump and thermostat. Still smells and losses some as said above.

Last edited by Spinmaster7; 09-08-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-08-2019, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spinmaster7
Is yours good now, still fixed? I've had antifreeze smells for the last two years. Little loss, about a1.5 cups a year. A year ago the changed water pump and thermostat. Still smells and losses some as said above.

Yeah so far so good. It's been 8 or 9 months and everything seems ok.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine sometimes makes a gurgling sound on shut off. That's not it, correct?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine never made a gurgling sound. Mine made a morse code sound from the circulation pumps shutting off and on rapidly from where the coolant had drained down the wiring harness and was interrupting the power to the coolant recirculation pumps
Old 05-02-2023, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you @dbias this is really helpfull, I just got this code and I'm changing all the cooling system including regurlator, hoses and pump, better safe than sorry.