A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Clutch Slippage After TCU Tune (Integrated Engineering)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmaras
Did the issue only happen at 70-80% throttle? Or that was the low end of the input that caused it and it was also happening at 100% for you?
I haven’t been monitoring with throttle position so the 70-80% is a rough estimate, but it originally it seemed to be happening around 3500rpm in the lower end. After recalibrating what I did, it seems to be happening in higher gears around 4500rpm. I will measure with throttle position later today when I get a chance and I will post the results here.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nighthawk5263
I haven’t been monitoring with throttle position so the 70-80% is a rough estimate, but it originally it seemed to be happening around 3500rpm in the lower end. After recalibrating what I did, it seems to be happening in higher gears around 4500rpm. I will measure with throttle position later today when I get a chance and I will post the results here.
Are you running their previous stage 2 software with their new TCU tune? They massively recalibrated the stage 1 file to work properly with the TCU tune, but I'm not certain they have done this with the stage 2 file yet.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmaras
Are you running their previous stage 2 software with their new TCU tune? They massively recalibrated the stage 1 file to work properly with the TCU tune, but I'm not certain they have done this with the stage 2 file yet.
Do you have any details about the "massive recalibration"? As a 6-speed owner with the IE tune, I'm wondering if its worthwhile for me to check for an update on the tune.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sjorge3442
Do you have any details about the "massive recalibration"? As a 6-speed owner with the IE tune, I'm wondering if its worthwhile for me to check for an update on the tune.
Before it was finally released, IE had commented that it was redeveloped from the ground up. In my experience in running it, this is true. The powerband is much different, the torque comes on more gradually and carries power to red line much better. The previous tune felt very torque heavy and then kind of fell flat around 5k rpm. I think on a 6MT car the updated ECU file would be a huge benefit. It should reduce clutch wear and overall feel more linear.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you reached out to IE? Curious to hear what they have to say.

I have the V2 Stage 1 ECU and the new TCU and I've had no slippage, which I did have without the TCU. I wonder if it's because the current Stage 2 is still V1 and it's not pairing well with the TCU? Then again many people run IE Stage 2 ECU with Uni Stage 2 TCU.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

... I’m not sure when the transmission fluid was changed last, as I have not owned the car for that long, but I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to change it...
You have 74k miles on the car, better change that dual clutch fluid before you damage the clutches. I bet it looks black like mine did.
My trans fluid was changed by the Audi dealer at 40k and 80K miles. At 93k Miles the fluid was dark as seen below, and the car was never flashed with a tune.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking about changing my fluid intervals because of that - it certainly wouldn't hurt anything. About ~10k miles ago (around 60k), I changed it and it was very dark/black like the picture. It had me a bit concerned, so about 1k miles later, I changed it again, and it still came out dark, but more of a gold hue (as it went in). I think I'll reduce the interval to 15k or 20k, given that it's actually a very straight forward process once done a few times, and it's about $80 for all the fluid. I felt that it made the transmission a lot smoother as well, especially in sport mode. Nowhere near as many clunks and jerks when entering roundabouts, for example.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

... completed the following 2 procedures using OBDEleven:

Clutch Engagement Point Adaptation (Calibrate)
Clutch Valve Calibration (Calibrate)

Thanks for the information.
I just performed the calibrations with VCDS.
WOW the transmission shifts even better now! Part throttle downshifts quickly set you back in the seat, the torque is quickly applied to the wheels.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTruck
Thanks for the information.
I just performed the calibrations with VCDS.
WOW the transmission shifts even better now! Part throttle downshifts quickly set you back in the seat, the torque is quickly applied to the wheels.
Whats the process for doing those?
Old 02-09-2024, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the exact same problem, started about 10 miles After the tune. Have to get logs to ie. Have you tried flashing back to stock?

Quick Reply: Clutch Slippage After TCU Tune (Integrated Engineering)