A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

CarPlay settings on iphone

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPlay settings on iphone

Dumb question but why are there 2 profiles listed under my CarPlay if I only have 1 car? Isn’t one for the car wireless and one for the MMI which is separate from CarPlay? I have a 2018 with a carlinkit. Can I delete one of them?

Last edited by Parsec; 05-15-2021 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the Car Linkit is the 0218 number you're seeing and the other is for your MMI. I guess If you never use the car without CarPlay then you could delete the MMI but I figured its all connected so I'm just leaving it as is for now.

Separate question since we happen to have the same car with carlinkit....when you put the car in reverse and the backup camera displays, will CarPlay occasionally not return and no longer want to reopen? I've only been able to resolve this by unplugging and replugging in my carlinkit.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

One profile (MMI) is the one used before you installed the Carlinkit. It’s what connected your phone to the car before the install. The other is the Carlinkit profile. At least that’s the way it is on my car. I have left both installed. If I disconnect Carlinkit for whatever reason, the phone will connect using the MMI profile.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks. So is it the 0218 profile I want to edit to remove unwanted apps from the car screen? I’ve only had it for a few days so I’m still trying to get it all set up. One thing I find annoying is having to scroll left through all the current app’s function buttons on the screen before I can get to a different app. Or vice versa, scroll left through all the app tiles before I can change skip the current song that I dislike. There must be a way to do it quicker, I just haven’t figured it out yet.

For the backup question - Ive gotten the same problem about half the time so far, but I thought it was because I was doing things in the wrong order. Like I was going in reverse before the whole system was paired. I will have to play around some more with it and see if I can reproduce the problem consistently.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, edit the 0218 profile to change the apps on your CarPlay screen. I do agree the MMI wheel is annoying sometimes for CarPlay however you can just push the volume control **** to the left or right If you want to quickly skip a song. Not the best I know and which there was a physical shortcut button to CarPlay. oh well.

Finally, I have noticed that If before I put the car into reverse I hit the menu button to exit out of CarPlay, then after I put the car back in drive again I can then reselect CarPlay without it crashing. Doing it this way is annoying but at all east allows me to avoid plugging/replugging carlinkit dongle. Would be interested to see If anyone else has found a way to solve backup camera from periodically causing CarPlay to crash and refuse to reopen.