A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Another heating issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 04:23 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I just had this discussion with my service advisor when I picked up my Allroad after they repaired my heating issue..

He explained that when the system is set to "Auto" the center vents are NOT functional, he couldn't really explain why but that is the way it's designed.. He also said that when in Auto, you may occasionally feel more air being directed towards either the upper vents or floor vents.. He said this is all based on what the interior sensors are reading, and where they feel more warm or cold air is needed..
Old 01-24-2019, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
I just had this discussion with my service advisor when I picked up my Allroad after they repaired my heating issue..

He explained that when the system is set to "Auto" the center vents are NOT functional, he couldn't really explain why but that is the way it's designed.. He also said that when in Auto, you may occasionally feel more air being directed towards either the upper vents or floor vents.. He said this is all based on what the interior sensors are reading, and where they feel more warm or cold air is needed..
Glad it all worked out and glad they had a good explanation that everything is working the way the Audi engineers designed it to work. Sometimes we have to do a little digging to find out even how the simple things work.

On my wife's 2006 Outback, there are 4 simple ***** - one from OFF to HIGH, one for TEMPERATURE, one for which VENT/VENTS you want to blow the air and one for AC ON or off. No fancy sensors self directing the airflow, just a simple, intuitive system that works well and quickly.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Glad it all worked out and glad they had a good explanation that everything is working the way the Audi engineers designed it to work. Sometimes we have to do a little digging to find out even how the simple things work.

On my wife's 2006 Outback, there are 4 simple ***** - one from OFF to HIGH, one for TEMPERATURE, one for which VENT/VENTS you want to blow the air and one for AC ON or off. No fancy sensors self directing the airflow, just a simple, intuitive system that works well and quickly.
I agree, and I too sometimes miss how well the "simple things" worked in the past...
Old 02-27-2019, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I did not want to hijack another current heating issue thread, but was wondering about an issue I'm having. The adjustable center vents (not the one that always remains "neutral") is not working - does not blow air - hot or cold, no matter what setting I use. I'm thinking this one warrants a trip to the dealer. BTW, otherwise the car heats up quickly no matter the weather.
Any chance this is why I can't get any heat to the back seat passengers no matter what temp they set their zone to? I can't get any air to come out of the vents in the back...
Old 02-27-2019, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As we've been enjoying some unseasonal warm weather in the UK, 21c, I can tell you that when the CC is cooling the interior the centre vents do come on, mine is always set to auto as well.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Warm air rises, cold air falls.. With that in mind -- auto climate systems do this -- When heating, it blows mostly (if not solely) from the floor vents.. When cooling, from the center and side vents.

For the rear seats, heat comes from the vents under the front seats.. For cooling, they come out of the vents in the console.

Also, depending on outside temperature, it may be blended somewhat between top and bottom.

Last edited by RickNY; 02-28-2019 at 02:11 AM.