A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2021 Premium Plus without Navigation???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2021 Premium Plus without Navigation???

Has anyone purchased an a4 premium plus without Navigation?
if so, is the resolution the same when using Apple Carplay?
I am planning on purchasing one without Navigation since I always use the Carplay. But, I am afraid that the MMI’s resolution will be terrible. The size is the same however.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

The MMI display and head unit on the 2020+ A4 is always the same so there should be no difference when using CarPlay. There are differences concerning Audi Connect and WiFi hotspot though which may make it desirable to get Navigation even though you may ever use it.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkM
The MMI display and head unit on the 2020+ A4 is always the same so there should be no difference when using CarPlay. There are differences concerning Audi Connect and WiFi hotspot though which may make it desirable to get Navigation even though you may ever use it.
Thanks for the info. Audi connect and wifi is a paid service anyways that I wouldn’t get.
as long as the resolution is the same, there would be no need to get Navigation option. I haven’t used a car’s nav in 2+ years.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,894 Likes on 1,609 Posts

B9.0 used MIB2, where US models had either MMI Radio plus with a 7.0" 800x480 screen without touch, or MMI Navigation plus with a 8.3" 1024x480 screen with touch.
B9.5 (MY20+) uses MIB3, where all US models have a 10.1" 1540x720 screen with touch.
Seems to be what I find.
The following 3 users liked this post by SMac770:
1killera4 (04-20-2022), bniner (01-21-2021), Elliedad (01-21-2021)
Old 04-19-2022, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Premium Plus Without Navigation

Originally Posted by Elliedad
Has anyone purchased an a4 premium plus without Navigation?
If so, is the resolution the same when using Apple Carplay?
I plan to purchase one without Navigation since I always use the Carplay. But, I am afraid that the MMI’s resolution will be terrible. The size is the same, however.
More to the point, you should be concerned about connectivity to the Internet as only the navigation package (either separately optioned or as part of the Prestige Package) allows the car to function as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Without such capability, and surrounded by two tons of steel, you will quickly find that your cell phone will struggle to stay connected, whereas, with the navigation and hot spot combo provided by Audi, connectivity is enhanced with a signal booster and rooftop antenna. It's surprising that Audi is offering cars without this functionality as virtually every less expensive import includes it -- even SilverCars A-4 fleet in base A4 trim come with navigation, all of them. RMB
Old 04-19-2022, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Bell
More to the point, you should be concerned about connectivity to the Internet as only the navigation package (either separately optioned or as part of the Prestige Package) allows the car to function as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Without such capability, and surrounded by two tons of steel, you will quickly find that your cell phone will struggle to stay connected, whereas, with the navigation and hot spot combo provided by Audi, connectivity is enhanced with a signal booster and rooftop antenna. It's surprising that Audi is offering cars without this functionality as virtually every less expensive import includes it -- even SilverCars A-4 fleet in base A4 trim come with navigation, all of them. RMB
I don't have Nav, have used Carplay with NO reception issues.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad you have no connectivity issues, but you didn't mention where you operate your car. For sure, in a major city, military base, or similar environment with plenty of cell phone towers, this will be less of an issue. I live in LA where believe it or not AT&T will deliver you pretty miserable connectivity. On a recent trip from LA to Palm Springs, about 90 miles or so, on a well-traveled interstate, I intentionally turned off the Wi-Fi features of my A6 which resulted in the car losing connection with WAZE 8 times, and rendering VOIP phone calls impossible. Returning home, I tried this again for a single day and was met with a similar unwelcome situation. Having a Wi-Fi hotspot in a car is a real plus, and it is for that reason that most cars at this price point are almost universally so equipped, or at least offered. That a 2022 model year S4 in Premium Plus trim at $63,000 out the door does not supply this functionality seriously affects the utility of the car, reduces its value, and is inexplicable on technical or fiscal grounds. As they say, your mileage may vary.
The following users liked this post:
1killera4 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have Nav either, use Android Auto on all my trips, and have no problem at all running Waze or Google Maps. Many trips through rural PA and upstate NY. Only GPS issue I have had is in Manhattan with the tall skyscrapers blocking the GPS signals.
In limited rural areas cellphone reception can drop out , but I never found that to be a major issue for me. Never affects the GPS.
The following users liked this post:
Aviator6 (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

connectivity is enhanced with a signal booster and rooftop antenna.
Are you possibly thinking of Audi Phone Box?
Old 04-26-2022, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll chime in here...I have a '22 A4 Premium Plus w/o Nav. I use Android Auto/Google Maps and it looks and work very well. My main complaint is that I wish you could reprogram the upper left "Nav" button on the MMI to direct you to the Android Auto/Google Maps vs going to a screen reminding me that I don't have Audi's Nav subscription (which at $85/month is insane). Aside from that, it works well with Android Auto (with a few quirks along the way that are ALL Audi MMI issues).

One more thing...like most '22 models, my sticker had the "Audi Phone Box Delete" credit. I don't really miss it.

Quick Reply: 2021 Premium Plus without Navigation???