A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Winter wheel purchase recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter wheel purchase recommendations

Hi All,

Been a bit since I have posted, I come to you with a new question. I order my 2013 A4 - S-Line about a month back, at the time the sales rep told me I could order a set of 17 inch alloy wheels from the dealer for around $1700 CDN. I have done some looking around and that price seems to be around the standard, however I am new at this; having owned an jeep prior to my new audi, i never needed to worry about changing wheels before. If anyone has a suggestion as to where I can look for better pricing, or if i should just go with the dealers price. I could do 1700 and I will need them come winter as I wont be using my 19 inch wheels in the snow that's for sure, but it would be nice if i could get a bit of a deal.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

Getting a 17" oem set is great advice. You get to run 225/50-17 (my choice) or 245/45-17 winters. The trouble with your dealer is the price. Plenty of folks with base cars up their wheels to 18/19, you should get a set in close to new condition for around 6-800 no problem. Perhaps a bit harder in Canada as everyone needs winter set-ups.

Worst case go with someone like tirerack, just watch out to get the bore/offsets to match so you don't need additional hardware. I'm in Northeast US and bought 17" audi wheels from a southern dealer because in late 2009 there were no 17" tirerack wheels that fit the b8 without a centering ring or other additional hardware.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, I was able to find a set of excellent, used 17" Audi wheels for less than $400. Correct center bore and tires were around $150 each.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also need winter wheels for a 2O12 S-line A4. I worry about used wheels being bent from potholes. My 2009 A4 wheels took a beating. Anyone have experience with OE Wheels LLC?

Last edited by Barrels41; 05-18-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I've used my OEM 19's with Blizzaks through 2 Chicago winters and no issues.

I picked up some OEM used 18's for our Q5 for $400 and mounted some Blizzaks on those also with no issues.

I agree on trying to find some used OEM wheels. You might even be lucky enough to find some wheels with low mileage winter tires already mounted.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have a set of 17" Winter Wheels and Tires you may like

I have a near new set of ASA 17" GT1 wheels with Audi center caps. The tires are Bridgestone Blizzaks and have very little miles on them. Let me know if you are interested. They do have TPM installed if you need them.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by equ
Getting a 17" oem set is great advice. You get to run 225/50-17 (my choice) or 245/45-17 winters. The trouble with your dealer is the price. Plenty of folks with base cars up their wheels to 18/19, you should get a set in close to new condition for around 6-800 no problem. Perhaps a bit harder in Canada as everyone needs winter set-ups.

Worst case go with someone like tirerack, just watch out to get the bore/offsets to match so you don't need additional hardware. I'm in Northeast US and bought 17" audi wheels from a southern dealer because in late 2009 there were no 17" tirerack wheels that fit the b8 without a centering ring or other additional hardware.
Thank you very much for the link to that site. I have to confirm with my dealer if the price he tossed me includes tires as well. If it does I'll maybe go through him, otherwise found a few nice sets on tirerack that will run me 900 with shipping, tax and duty so beats the heck out of the dealer.

I like the Blizzack tires, mean looking tread, I assume good on ice and snow? my area tends to be filled with ice as the salt trucks don't always make it out here. I'll probably be poking the forums again closer to winter for tire suggestions, for now just want to at least grab the wheels. However on a semi-related topic, does anyone know what the standard brand tires on the s-lines are? Would it be a good idea to look into a new set or just stick with stock until they need a change? I assume they will be sufficient, probably sound dumb asking this; just curious.

Thank's all, sorry about the late reply.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OriginalSHARPY
I order my 2013 A4 - S-Line about a month back, at the time the sales rep told me I could order a set of 17 inch alloy wheels from the dealer for around $1700 CDN.
One thing you may want to keep in mind is that the wheel/tire packages offered by Canadian Audi dealers do not come with real OEM Audi wheels. Instead, you get chinese replicas (if you don't believe me, drop by your dealer in Fall, when they put those wheels up for display and take a closer look - the "made in china" stamp is clearly visible). I have no firsthand knowledge of the quality of these particular wheels, but most chinese replicas have a pretty bad reputation. The winter tires you get with those rims are nothing special either.

For about the same money, you can get a set of better wheels and tires from Tirerack. A set of German-made Rial wheels with Dunlop Wintersport 3D tires cost me a tad over $2,000 from what I recall (mine are 18's...17's would have been a bit cheaper).
Old 05-22-2012, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OriginalSHARPY
Would it be a good idea to look into a new set or just stick with stock until they need a change? I assume they will be sufficient, probably sound dumb asking this; just curious.
They could be Pirelli, Dunlop or Bridgestone. I wouldn't worry about replacing them until they wear out. Audi is not Chrysler/Jeep. They generally don't put sh*t tires on their cars.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
They could be Pirelli, Dunlop or Bridgestone. I wouldn't worry about replacing them until they wear out. Audi is not Chrysler/Jeep. They generally don't put sh*t tires on their cars.
Hmm, well i have quite a bit to consider, I have a feeling I may go with a set off tirerack depending on the answers i get from my dealer. I'm glad i gave myself enough time to ask around, seems like it will be a bit of work, which I don't mind doing though, car will be worth it!

Thanks for all the replies, if anyone else has any other suggestion's,experiences,or idea's i'd appreciate them.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel purchase recommendations