A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Windshield Wipers Problems in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gkgeiger
What's the length of the blade? Are there winter blades available? I've had good success with them on other vehicles.
As stated before, Audi uses a proprietary blade<-->arm attachment so there aren't any 3rd party winter (or any) blade options.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO I find the wipers on my B8 to be far superior to any other wiper I've had on any car I've driven....really. I put the front defrost on (as another poster mentioned) while I'm clearing the snow off the car and never have any issue with icy blades at all. Could it also have something to do with the type of windshield washer fluid you are using? The factory fluid is very strong to the point that it smells up the interior when I blast it on my windshield....but it seems to work great.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Avant4Adam
As stated before, Audi uses a proprietary blade<-->arm attachment so there aren't any 3rd party winter (or any) blade options.
I guess I missed that part. Still don't see it.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pink
I purchased a 2010 Audi A4 in April and have now gone through two snow days. Both times the wipers caked up with ice instantly and I literally could not see. I needed to pull over and bang the ice off of the wipers; however, this only lasted for about 5 minutes before the ice was caked on again. No other driver seemed to have similar problems. By the way, I have lived in Minnesota for the past 11 years and have never had this issue with another car.

At this point, I believe there is something wrong with the wipers or the design of the wiper/car/mechanism.

Has anyone else had this problem and what is the solution? This is definitely a safety hazard and I cannot drive my car in the snow in this condition.
Hard to tell exactly what is causing your problem from your description. Let me try a few questions:

1) When you say the blades ice 'instantly' does this mean the blades and/or the windshield?
2) What is the situation before you drive the car- is the car outside and cold?
3) Is the car in the garage and then driven into the snow storm?
4) Do you warm up the car before you travel into the snow storm? Is the windshield warm before you drive in the snowstorm?

The reason I ask these questions, is I have found it can be tricky how to keep any car's windshield clear in a snowstorm. What I try to do is keep the winshield cool or cold, this will keep the snow on the outside from melting and sticking to the windshield. If the snow that is falling is cold and dry, this method works pretty well.

If the snow is heavy and wet, then I use the 'hot' or warm air on the front windshield method. Once ice begins to form on the windshield, I have found you pretty much need to keep the wiper blades moving and the windshield warm enough to melt the snow.

Hope this is helpful and good luck.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Avant4Adam
I don't see this either. I've bought some RainX and Goodyear wipers over the last few weeks and they have adapters that would fit my 2007 Q7 and 2009 A4.

It's not a standard connector (as per the old days) but there are aftermarket options.

John.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If there are aftermarket ones then those are very recent options. This wasn't the case last winter or even this summer as I've been looking periodically as well.

The issue with the existing blades is the channel on top fills with water and freezes and makes the blade rigid so it can't conform to the windshield rendering them useless.

Having grown up in snow country, any wiper blade is susescptible to icing up from wet snow/washer fluid/freezing rain. That's why you can get winter blades with the full rubber boot on them.

There's no way your window defroster is going to keep the top side of the blade arm above freezing when you're driving.

I'm gpoing to stop by a local Autozone and see what they have. If they blades have the same channel on top they will do the same thing.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by matthewsjl
I don't see this either. I've bought some RainX and Goodyear wipers over the last few weeks and they have adapters that would fit my 2007 Q7 and 2009 A4.

It's not a standard connector (as per the old days) but there are aftermarket options.

John.
Could you do me a huge favor? I live in Chicago and these blades are killing me..

I've got a 2009 P+ A4.. so probably identical to yours. What blades/adapter did you get? Could you throw me some part numbeer/stores please?

We've gotten slapped with so much snow and ice in the last 2 weeks and the single digit weather is killing my blades.. luckily i park in a covered spot at home.. but at work i end up putting the blades in service mode and cranking the defroster... not very time efficient.

Thank you so much.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any chance someone has arms and winter blades that can be xchanged?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in edmonton alberta and our winters are borderline retarded!

Im having the same issue. has anyone offically tried after market wipers and can report back with an update?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sumo.wong
I live in edmonton alberta and our winters are borderline retarded!

Im having the same issue. has anyone offically tried after market wipers and can report back with an update?

Thanks
as I posted previously, these euro-spec Bosch fit my 2009 and someone has also found that they fit the 2010's:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-33970072...2009&carId=001

They are working *much* better in cold temps and driving in snow than the sucky wiper blades Audi provides.