A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Will AMI play Navigon turnbyturn thru speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will AMI play Navigon turnbyturn thru speakers?

Just traded in my 2005 A6 for a 2012 A4 (so far so good!) and this one doesn't have nav. I plan on buying the Navigon Iphone app which should be perfect for my needs but the speakers on the Iphone don't provide much volume. If I plugged it in to the AMI would the turn by turn go through the car speakers? Would love to just purchase an app instead of a standalone nav unit. Thoughts?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have no experience with Navigon but I do use the Waze app and it actually goes wirelessly right through Bluetooth (not ami) as if it was a phone call, and then put whatever was playing (radio/mp3 etc) right back on. The app itself is pretty good if you turn off a lot of the non-necessary crap it comes with - just to get the map less crowded. Oh and it's free, which is always nice. If you end up going with waze, let me know and I could try to help you out with some useful settings.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, I ended up getting the Navigon app. It is downloaded to the my old iphone so it doesn't use any data (Navigon stores onto the harddrive). It plays perfectly thru the cars speakers and I just ordered a AMI cable extender and found a spot to fish it through the back of the glovebox so I can always have the Nav unit handy.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GoCubsGo
Thanks for the reply, I ended up getting the Navigon app. It is downloaded to the my old iphone so it doesn't use any data (Navigon stores onto the harddrive). It plays perfectly thru the cars speakers and I just ordered a AMI cable extender and found a spot to fish it through the back of the glovebox so I can always have the Nav unit handy.
Would you mind sharing where you found an ami extension cable? And how you plan to route it? That has been something I'm interested in doing, but ive been sceptical about some cables ive found online.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

CableJive Dock Extender. There was a writeup on Audizine that I found but it involved taking out the AMI unit in the glove box and pull up the console. I just pulled out the little rubber tray the ipod sits in and there is a hole in the back of that little box already. I fished a wire through there until it came out a hole in the bottom of the glove box (above the passenger's feet. I left the wire dangling so that I can use it to pull through the new cable. I'll either tuck it under the side of the console trim like the other people did or just run it under the carpet mat for now and under the seat up to the side of the armrest. The cable is 6ft long so it should be plenty long. I want to run it into the box under the armrest and then I can always just keep my little nav/ipod combo unit (old Iphone) in there and pull it out when I want to see the screen.