A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Mushy brakes - 2011 A4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mushy brakes - 2011 A4 Avant

My least favorite part of my A4 has always been the breaks (especially compared to an S - though at least the A4's brakes don't squeal). I've always found them to be mushy. They do stop but it doesn't feel very confidence inspiring--I just don't feel the calipers make contact with the rotors the way I have with other Audis.
I have to replace the rotors and pad and am wondering if there is anything out that there can address this issue (at about the same price).
Thanks,
John
Old 06-05-2014, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JCMontana
My least favorite part of my A4 has always been the breaks (especially compared to an S - though at least the A4's brakes don't squeal). I've always found them to be mushy. They do stop but it doesn't feel very confidence inspiring--I just don't feel the calipers make contact with the rotors the way I have with other Audis.
I have to replace the rotors and pad and am wondering if there is anything out that there can address this issue (at about the same price).
Thanks,
John
Of course, buy metallic track pads and cope with the dust. The previous two gens A4 had dusty pads if that's what you are comparing with. They have a strong initial bite whereas the ceramics in use these days have a softer initial bite, but stop equally well when pushed hard.
There is always some compromise. I have chosen a slightly different route. I installed s4 carriers and s4-size rotors, which pushes the calipers out a bit for an increased brake torque. The s4 rotors are heavier, which is extra unsprung weight and to avoid that, I got two-piece rotors with aluminum hats which are lighter than the stock A4 rotors. That's about $900 for the front rotors and the carriers.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Of course, buy metallic track pads and cope with the dust. The previous two gens A4 had dusty pads if that's what you are comparing with. They have a strong initial bite whereas the ceramics in use these days have a softer initial bite, but stop equally well when pushed hard.
There is always some compromise. I have chosen a slightly different route. I installed s4 carriers and s4-size rotors, which pushes the calipers out a bit for an increased brake torque. The s4 rotors are heavier, which is extra unsprung weight and to avoid that, I got two-piece rotors with aluminum hats which are lighter than the stock A4 rotors. That's about $900 for the front rotors and the carriers.
Gunsmoker,

I was looking at running the same front brake setup as you, have you been happy with it? Or if you had to do it again would you have just went with performance pad and rotor in the stock size?

thanks
Old 06-06-2014, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by efett
Gunsmoker,

I was looking at running the same front brake setup as you, have you been happy with it? Or if you had to do it again would you have just went with performance pad and rotor in the stock size?

thanks
I couldn't be happier with the ECS OEM big brake kit I've got. I'd buy it again.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome thanks