A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Timing chain & tensioner change at Oil part 2 fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing chain & tensioner change at Oil part 2 fix?

Hey guys,

I have had my a4 in the shop for 3 months waiting for part 2 of oil consumption test to be started. They called today and said they have started the pistons replacement but noticed my timing chain and tensioner needed to be changed. I thought they were suppose to last longer than 67,000 miles. Has anyone else had timing chain or tensioner replaced around this mileage? or are they just trying to screw me for $916? Advice needed as i have to tell them what to do tomorrow....

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by markinarch
Hey guys,

I have had my a4 in the shop for 3 months waiting for part 2 of oil consumption test to be started. They called today and said they have started the pistons replacement but noticed my timing chain and tensioner needed to be changed. I thought they were suppose to last longer than 67,000 miles. Has anyone else had timing chain or tensioner replaced around this mileage? or are they just trying to screw me for $916? Advice needed as i have to tell them what to do tomorrow....

Thanks.
The general consensus is that the timing chain and tensioner should last to around 100K miles. Although this seems early you are stuck with "while you're in there" syndrome. I would 1st challenge them and have them show me the difference from the present parts vs. new parts. Somehow I think that although Audi gets reimbursed for these repairs the don't get enough and this is a way to recoup some dollars. They have the front of the engine off anyway so other then parts this is a simple installation. Ask them how much the parts cost and why is there any extra labor when the chain is off anyway in order to replace the pistons. If anything it shouldn't take more then an hour to do this if that. How much is their labor rate. Also I assume they will keep the parts that is covered by the recall but any other parts they replace I would ask for back. So I guess it comes down to this , if you plan to keep the car for another 50K miles then put in the chain but if you plan to keep it for another 20-30K then I would put the old one back. Remember when they replace pistons and rings they don't do new bearings so those are on borrowed time too. Good luck
Old 05-03-2018, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The general consensus is that the timing chain and tensioner should last to around 100K miles. Although this seems early you are stuck with "while you're in there" syndrome. I would 1st challenge them and have them show me the difference from the present parts vs. new parts. Somehow I think that although Audi gets reimbursed for these repairs the don't get enough and this is a way to recoup some dollars. They have the front of the engine off anyway so other then parts this is a simple installation. Ask them how much the parts cost and why is there any extra labor when the chain is off anyway in order to replace the pistons. If anything it shouldn't take more then an hour to do this if that. How much is their labor rate. Also I assume they will keep the parts that is covered by the recall but any other parts they replace I would ask for back. So I guess it comes down to this , if you plan to keep the car for another 50K miles then put in the chain but if you plan to keep it for another 20-30K then I would put the old one back. Remember when they replace pistons and rings they don't do new bearings so those are on borrowed time too. Good luck

They did not remove lower chain cover or chain on mine, I asked why they would charge labor when it chain was already removed and they said it wasnt and took me back to see it, should have taken picture. Not sure how he got the head off but block was sitting on the stand with lower cover on and chain sticking out the top. Dropped off Tuesday around 11 for part 2 and they called me at 9 am this morning to say it is ready (after piston and ring r2). I am paying to have the tensioner replaced they said they would knock it down to 1 hour labor. it is probably 5 minutes labor honestly the engine is right there all you have to do is remove the bolts holding the cover and tensioner. The tech told me he has been doing about 3 a week for the past 3 years and that he could have finished mine from pulling in to garage to ready to go in one day if he really wanted to.