A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Thule Racks Installed on A4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thule Racks Installed on A4 Avant

After many hours of researching the Thule and Yakima rack systems for my new Avant, I decided on Thule and couldn't be happier with my choice so far. Here's what I went with if anyone else out there has been thinking of racking their ride:

#RB47 Rapid Aero Cross Bars
#4007 Fit Kit
#460R Rapid Podium Foot Pack
8 pack locks

Thule offers many bike racks but I decided on the #518 Echelon because of it's sturdiness, ease of use, and its clean looks. I also had to get the #XADAPT9 adapter since the mount that comes with the Echelon does not work on the Aero Bars. A little bit of jimmy-rigging had to be done to keep the rubber strips on the top of the aero bars but it was an easy fix. When winter hits and it's time to dust off the snowboard I went with the #91725 Universal Flat Top 6 Carrier which will fit 4 boards or 6 pair of "misery sticks" if that's how you choose to slide down the hill. Here are some pics of the bike set up.
Attached Images      
Old 06-29-2009, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I hope they're quieter than the OEM bars :-/
Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice! I just got the same setup except I got the sidearm bike racks. But of course the podiums are backordered which I didn't discover until I started to install it.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice car!

Do the Thule base carrier bars line up with the markings/pin holes on the inside of the roof rails similar to the way the Audi base carrier bars line up?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Scotty - thankfully there's only a little wind noise between 40-50 mph. You would think that the noise would increase as your speed increased but there is no wind noise over 50/55 mph...kinda trippy but I'm not complaining. On a side note, did you order those chrome tips yet?

A G A - I lined up the front feet where the pinholes are but have the back feet set a few inches behind the rear pinholes for a little more stability with the bike trays. The Thule's do not attach or have screws that mount in to these holes so you can set as for forward or back as needed. The Thule's simply grab the lip of the rail when tightened.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! Approximately how tall are the black feet, and how many inches is the bar above the centerline of the car (at the shortest clearance distance)?

Would you mind taking a photo straight from the front of the car, and perhaps one directly from the rear (to show the bars spanning the width of the car)?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
I hope they're quieter than the OEM bars :-/
Do the OEM bars quiet down over 55 MPH too? Or do they just get noisier as speed increases?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very nice setup....I will probably go with a different bike carrier but the overall package looks great. I still can't believe the price of base bars....something that comes standard with many SUVs.
My preference is still a tow hitch carrier.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FreshTracks
Scotty - thankfully there's only a little wind noise between 40-50 mph. You would think that the noise would increase as your speed increased but there is no wind noise over 50/55 mph...kinda trippy but I'm not complaining. On a side note, did you order those chrome tips yet?
I haven't ordered the tips as my replacement A4 Avant (one WITH quattro) is not due until September 1st (to coincide with a new registration plate in the UK) and hence I'm waiting to see what Audi do. So far all the MY2010 S-lines have had chrome tips but I'm not sure I've seen a 2.0T S-line Avant yet. I'm hoping it's resolve before I get mine. In the mean time I know current owners are still looking around at different options.

With regards the OEM racks, I only had mine on once and it was only around town so I don't know if they quieten. I'm on a months leave (had a baby a few days ago) so I'll probably have them on to get some decking etc whilst at home. I'll give them a go and see at what speed they quieten down or if I run out of road first
Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great compared to the photos of the factory Audi racks since these sit lower.

Quick Reply: Thule Racks Installed on A4 Avant