A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

TDI for A4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TDI for A4?

Has anyone heard anything about either the 2.0 or 3.0 TDI for the A4 for 2011?

I am looking to replace our 2002 a4 avant with a 2011 a4 sedan. Probably will go with a 2.0T 6 speed manual (we have the 5 speed manual in the 02 a4; a 6 speed manual in our 06 a4).

For those of you who are driving the B8 version of the a4, what has been your experience? What concerns have you had? What have you liked most about the B8?

Our experience with the 1.8T has been very good-no problems; it is a sweet performing engine. Similarly, the 2.0T in the '06 has been a stellar performer. In my experience the 2.0T is a bit quicker, particularly at higher speeds, and it is more frugual with fuel than the 1.8T.

What has been your experience in terms of performance and fuel economy with the B8 2.0?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B8 2.0T is superior to the B7 2.0T in every way AFAIK. Its use of valvelift technology allows it to produce far more low-end torque, a little bit more HP, and claims an improvement in fuel economy by 7% IIRC. Pulls at higher speeds will no doubt be better than your '06's.

The new 2.0T is now chain-driven instead of belt-driven, which means no more replacing belts at higher-mileage service intervals. Also, the diverter-valve is piston-type this time, which is far more reliable than the B7 2.0T DVs.

Performance has been outstanding IMHO, especially in the lower RPM range. The B8 A4 is almost the size of an A6 now but the new 2.0T helps keep it nimble and exciting to drive. The highest mpg I've gotten was somewhere in the 34s, tho I usually get around 23 mpg under normal non-spirited driving w/ a mix of city and highway.

As for the TDIs, I haven't heard anything yet. My ideal A4 would actually be a 3.0 TDI w/ S-tronic. I can dream, can't I?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

I spoke with someone at Audi USA a few weeks ago. He told me that we will know whether or not an A4 TDI will be available in the US as a 2011 model sometime in June or July. If it is, it will most likely be the 3.0. I'm hoping for a yes answer... I'll place my order right away if they decide to sell it here.

--Phil
Old 05-10-2010, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
B8 2.0T is superior to the B7 2.0T in every way AFAIK. Its use of valvelift technology allows it to produce far more low-end torque, a little bit more HP, and claims an improvement in fuel economy by 7% IIRC. Pulls at higher speeds will no doubt be better than your '06's.

The new 2.0T is now chain-driven instead of belt-driven, which means no more replacing belts at higher-mileage service intervals. Also, the diverter-valve is piston-type this time, which is far more reliable than the B7 2.0T DVs.

Performance has been outstanding IMHO, especially in the lower RPM range. The B8 A4 is almost the size of an A6 now but the new 2.0T helps keep it nimble and exciting to drive. The highest mpg I've gotten was somewhere in the 34s, tho I usually get around 23 mpg under normal non-spirited driving w/ a mix of city and highway.

As for the TDIs, I haven't heard anything yet. My ideal A4 would actually be a 3.0 TDI w/ S-tronic. I can dream, can't I?
Thanks for the helpful reply. Specifically, it is encouraing to hear about your performance experience with the 2.0T FSI -both the quickness and fuel efficiency. The news on the timing belt is also welcome. Since we tend to keep our vehicles into higher mileage, timing belt changes have been a part of the on going maintenance.

Your ideal for the A4 is my preferred configuration for the Q5. I am very intrigued by the possibility of the 3.0 TDI for the A4, however. What have you seen for performance specs on the A4 with the 3.0 TDI in other parts of the world?

Given your experience, it would seem the 2.0T FSI is a pretty nice fit with the A4.

It is my understanding the Q5 will be offered in 2011 with the 2.0T FSI with an 8 speed Tiptronic. I am not as convinced the 2.0T FSI is as good a fit with the Q5 (I am open to being influenced, however) as the 3.0 TDI.

Somewhere I read Audi has redesigned the 3.0 TDI. If true, and if it is an improved design, perhaps there is a silver lining to the delay in releasing the 3.0 TDI in the North American market. I am willing to wait another 12-18 months on the availability of the 3.0 TDI in the Q5.

I hope this is not a dream!

Thanks again
Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi, if you read this, give us A4 and Q5 TDIs in the U.S. Now! There are plenty customers who are dying to get these cars and the minute anyone else would test-drive, they would be sold to.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

An A4 3.0 TDI with a manual tranny? I'll take it. Where do I sign?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

How do you know this to be true -- "plenty of customers," that is? If Audi actually had market research that would indicate this, I would assume they would have done this already. I find it hard to believe that there are any statistically significant data points that support this claim.

Now, having said this, I would imagine that the Q7 coming soon (very soon) only being offered in TDI form is an indication of some research that is supportive of that notion -- but maybe only for over $60,000 vehicles that, when equipped with gasoline engines, suck gas.

I attempted, to no avail, to become an activist railing against E85 and for diesel. I argued factually: diesel = improved MPG's, power, and with the "blue" technologies and cleaner (and even some bio-diesel thrown in) that E85 was totally dumbass thing to do (and I did not literally say "dumbass.") My congresswoman actually wrote back to me telling me that even though E85 was a dumb idea and that diesel was a smart idea, a provable bridge to the future, etc, that E85 support and legislation could be "sold" whereas diesel was going the way of the stick shift (in the US.)

Now, the fact that there are TDI Jettas and Mercedes and even an Audi or BMW here and there that are oil burners, is not lost on me.

However, in the US, at this time, diesel is a bad MARKETING decision, and a brilliant green and performance decision.

There aren't plenty of customers -- quite the opposite based on market share.

Having said that, I am hopeful that the increase in models offered using diesel motivation will change the tide.

Such a plea to Audi at this time however, without facts, is, as they say about as useful as screaming in the wilderness.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Loafer123
What have you seen for performance specs on the A4 with the 3.0 TDI in other parts of the world?
The 3.0TDI sedan does 0-100 in 6.1 with a stick and 6.2 with the S tronic, but diesels really need an automatic gearbox. I for one hate diesel sticks because of their bad elasticity, lot's of shifting with a stick.

EDIT: one more thing, over here you can get the sport diff with the 3.0TDI!

Last edited by BananSWE; 05-11-2010 at 11:51 AM.