A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Sunroof Issue - not always closing on the first try

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Issue - not always closing on the first try

I thought that there was a thread on this previously, but haven't been able to find it.

Has anyone had an issue closing the sunroof? With the sunroof open, I turned the **** to close the sunroof. As it is sliding closed, just before it was about to close completely, it slides opened again (with the **** in the closed position). After turning the **** to open and close a few times, it finally closed all the way.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The very same thing happened to me just yesterday. I opened the roof to extend my arm so the truck inches from bumper could see my invitation to approach my posterior with affection.

When the roof was closing, it suddenly reversed and went open. I suspect it is a lubrication issue. The drag on the motor drew more current than is programmed into the controller. The controller assumed an obstruction, and opened the roof. A worthwhile safety feature.

Every car maker has a special grease just for the roof. I'll have to bring it up with the dealer when I take the car for service on the steering judder, the key that won't come out, and the rough idle at start up.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

same problem when car was new. but it disappeared after about 3500 miles.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
Every car maker has a special grease just for the roof. I'll have to bring it up with the dealer when I take the car for service on the steering judder, the key that won't come out, and the rough idle at start up.

You know that you have to wait until the "click" before pulling the key out, right?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don't open my moonroof often, but there was this one time when in fact this very thing happened.

I figured at the time that it was because I had opened the moonroof with the manual roof cover(?) closed. Opening the moonroof had basically slided the manual cover along with it.

I just fiddled around with the manual cover and the moonroof eventually closed.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's happened a couple of times on me so far. Both times the car was stationary. Just worried that one time when a sudden downpour hits and I can't get the roof to close. Guess I'll have to bring it up on my next service.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello mart242, I do know to wait for the click. When it first occurred, I read the manual. When it continued, I took instruction from You Tube video's made by Audi. It still happens, so I put in a call to Pascal Colombani, the chairman of Valeo asking for assistance. He has not returned my call. I guess he is busy trying to find something for 57,000 odd employees to do, since so little car building is happening. If the name does not sound familiar, They are the French company that made radiators for Daimler AG that destroyed countless transmissions.

Hiya Boilers, I know what you mean about a sudden downpour, I wore out an umbrella on a recent trip to Boeing. In case the roof won't close electrically, Audi have thoughtfully provided a hand crank to drive the roof panel closed. It even has a fitted niche in the cover for the interior fuse panel.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Moviela ~ that's right! I totally forgot about the manual hand crank for the sunroof.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

this used to happen to me when i turned the **** too fast to close it, it reopens for some reason...but when i turn the **** normally it always closes - havent had the problem since
Old 06-12-2009, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You might need it recalibrated. We had an Avant that would not close unless the car was moving. Recalibrated it and no problems since.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Issue - not always closing on the first try