A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Sold my 2009 A4 Prestige S-Line - Sad but had to - Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad to hear, sad Audi couldn't fix it for you. Worth to push one more time on AoA?
Best of luck with next car.

As other have said, my 2011 A4 w 18" sport etc., is one of the absolute best car i have ever had. No issues whatsoever, rock solid built - feels molded like a one-piece item, drives well and with awesome gas milage.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

My issue is the guy joined the forum to post a negative comment after he already traded the car in for an Acura. Where was he the whole time he owned the car?
What's the point?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
My issue is the guy joined the forum to post a negative comment after he already traded the car in for an Acura. Where was he the whole time he owned the car?
What's the point?
An excellent question.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

What's the point?
+1

And another guy did the same thing today, although the problem was with his parent's A6 and he owned a Lexus.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Audi issues

What's the point?
I really don't have an issue with the guy. I have owned a number of Audis and the owner's relationship with a dealer is very important. I have seen many posts on this site noting some dealers denying that the front vibration exists. My dealer not only replaced one of my tires, but replaced the lower control arms.
When i came in to complain about the vibrations, he readily admitted that Audi had a problem and a fix. My impression after reading many of these posts is that a significant number of Audi dealerships are either not honest with their customers or their service departments lack required knowledge of the Audi products.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agree with the comment that some service departments lack the knowledge to properly diagnose and
Fix such problems. Also, I am not new to the board. Have read it for years. And I have not yet purchased an Acura. I already own a Dodge Ram and a VW GLI. Both good cars with no vibration. Both Audi and VW know I have been a very loyal customer to them. Have owned 6 of their products over ten years or so.

Corporate Audi simply wore me down by telling me the car was OK because they changed the control arms. That did not fix the problem. Recall I was one of the original owners who went through all of the tire balance episodes, etc. Before control arms were even an idea. They kept telling me it was road feel. A cyclic, resonant type imbalance is not road feel. The car felt like a tuning fork. The shaking coming from the back only made the experience worse.

I am not bashing, just venting because I wanted to keep the car but had to make a financial decision to get rid of it before the factory warranty expired. Perhaps the new owner won't care about the vibes, or, Audi will take care of the problem for them.

Loved the car in every way except for that issue.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default vibration issues

Originally Posted by Former Audi Owner
Agree with the comment that some service departments lack the knowledge to properly diagnose and
Fix such problems. Also, I am not new to the board. Have read it for years. And I have not yet purchased an Acura. I already own a Dodge Ram and a VW GLI. Both good cars with no vibration. Both Audi and VW know I have been a very loyal customer to them. Have owned 6 of their products over ten years or so.

Corporate Audi simply wore me down by telling me the car was OK because they changed the control arms. That did not fix the problem. Recall I was one of the original owners who went through all of the tire balance episodes, etc. Before control arms were even an idea. They kept telling me it was road feel. A cyclic, resonant type imbalance is not road feel. The car felt like a tuning fork. The shaking coming from the back only made the experience worse.

I am not bashing, just venting because I wanted to keep the car but had to make a financial decision to get rid of it before the factory warranty expired. Perhaps the new owner won't care about the vibes, or, Audi will take care of the problem for them.

Loved the car in every way except for that issue.
I hate to tell you this, but the replacement control arms are literally indistinguishable from the originals and my dealer has told me that some dealers have made the mistake of installing one or two of the old arms when not paying attention. I was showed the difference and its hard to see. I am sure if some mech made that mistake, it would be hard to get him to admit his mistake.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another note,
I live in Lodi,ca and take my car to livermore for service. They are totally honest. Unfortunately, my '08 S4 had a dead battery and with Audi's service, my car was towed to Lasher Audi in Elk Grove. While the car is under warranty and I purchased Audicare, they charged me $370 for a new battery. Also, shortly after I purchased my '09 A4 S-line, my driver's side wiper quit working. I had to be towed to Lasher and the service rep said warranty wouldn't cover the fix because I had done something to the wiper. After a brief conversation, I paid the $150 bill( I couldn't drive the car during the storm without the fix). I sent an e-mail to AoA and the Lasher owner describing my concerns and also that this was my sixth Audi and the third that I had purchased from Lasher. They credited my card for the charge. The ***$#@! service rep was trying ot get both warranty money from Audi and money from me.
My daughter used to work in the car business. There are a lot of "bad apples".
Just watch your back.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry you had a ****ty dealer, I have a 2009 a4 prestige sline quattro 6speed which had the vibration problem when I picked it up used a year ago or so, and they immediately changed out the control arms and stated it was the bushings that have been redesigned.

Bam. Fixed. No vibration and all is well.

Have the large wheels and the stock tires still as well.

I've found that having a successful relationship with a dealer depends on being a little knowledgeable about the product yourself. It's very easy to pull up TSBs about the car and with a little common sense you can apply what you feel in the car day in and day out to whats being fixed on the TSBs or at the dealerships.

Sorry you couldnt get it fixed, it seemed pretty straightforward to my dealership.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

While it is possible that a dealer might mistakenly replace old control arms with old ones still, it is somewhat unlikely.

After AoA finally agreed to swap the control arms on my 2010 A4, I was allowed into the shop while the job was in progress, and they showed me the two series control arms (old and new) side by side. The newer one definitely had a visibly larger bushing--easy to miss if by itself, but easy to catch if compared to the old one.

I will say that the swap of control arms did completely fix the problem, however getting there was another story, which I won't rehash, since I no longer own the vehicle.

With regard to my Audi by the way, it took the buying dealer 7 weeks to get it certified, meaning they must have done some significant work to it before putting it on the line for sale as a certified used car....and it was sold last week, according to Carfax.

I do miss the car a little, but I am MORE than pleased with my BMW....

just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Sold my 2009 A4 Prestige S-Line - Sad but had to - Please Read