A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

So what are the chances the dealership will fix my steering shimmy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
...Your mechanics and service writers receive training and tools directly from Audi and work exclusively on Audi vehicles. Yet, my local independent VW/Audi mechanic seems to be more skilled at diagnosing and fixing your various products along with countless other makes....all without manufacturer provided tools and training . Unfortunately an Audi dealership is the only location that is able to perform warranty repairs, otherwise my car would be in my independent mechanic's hands (which are clearly more capable then your dealership's). Also, why are your dealerships so afraid of an educated customer? Oh yeah, I forgot, educated customers can't be easily ripped off.
it is because they pay the techs close to minimum pay, the techs don't have any interest in fixing your car right, and have no interest in you coming back (unlike your indy mech who wants you to come back)...

it is why you don't see any middle-aged or older mechanics in the dealers (not only Audi), becvause the better guys leave and open their own shops...
Old 08-20-2010, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NJRoadfan,

Have you been able to obtain a copy of the TSB yet? My dealership is giving me the runaround and says they can't find a TSB for the vibration problem.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtysoil
NJRoadfan,

Have you been able to obtain a copy of the TSB yet? My dealership is giving me the runaround and says they can't find a TSB for the vibration problem.
I have not. Tell them to search by TSB number and not by VIN... here are the current numbers for both problems. Good luck getting the high speed shimmy fixed.

High speed shimmy: 2022179/3
Low speed studder: 2020322/6
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I will need it. I am ready for them to tell me that being lowered is the cause for the vibration. Although, I reported it as an issue, and was given the road force balancing well before I put on the KW's.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As I have noticed in many of these posts from others, you may be confusing two completely different issues; to clarify:

The solution for the LOW speed shudder in the steering wheel while turning on certain types of surfaces is to have a newly designed power steering hose installed (for 2009 A4s at the least; not sure when the 2.0t 2010's came with the new hose). Balance, alignment, control arms play NO role in providing a solution for this. Note that the hose for 3.2 engines only, is different than the 2.0t and includes a small air cooler (available just now).

The solution for most owners of the HIGH speed (55-70 mph) steering wheel shimmy is first, road force balancing and if that doesn't solve it, replace with redesigned upper control arms (different rubber bushings). This applies to all 2009 and some early 2010 A4s. If your newly purchased car is under 6 months, the balancing and realignment portion after install should be covered under Audi's adjustment period and as stated in the documentation. If your car is over 6 months old when this issue is reported, the dealer may charge for balancing, and if that doesn't solve the shimmy, the dealer should be able to get the arms approved by AOA for replacement.

Both fixes as described, if diagnosed properly by the dealer, should be covered under warranty (despite if some dealers tell you otherwise).

Hope this helps.

I have a 2010 A4 sedan with about 2,300 miles and was wondering how a person can tell if there is a low speed "shudder" problem or if it's just the sports suspension and the certain types of roads that I drive on to cause the bounciness of the car when driving? I'm wondering if it's just the Audi sports package that is a little more rough than usual?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gobruins23
I have a 2010 A4 sedan with about 2,300 miles and was wondering how a person can tell if there is a low speed "shudder" problem or if it's just the sports suspension and the certain types of roads that I drive on to cause the bounciness of the car when driving? I'm wondering if it's just the Audi sports package that is a little more rough than usual?
The low speed "shudder" is actually pretty obvious. You are diving under 5 mph on a certain types of surfaces, i.e. painted concrete, tile, gravel and when you turn the steering wheel you will feel a fast, very noticeable oscillation in the wheel until you straighten out and/or exceed 5 mph. A passenger can feel it as well.

Just picked mine up after the new hoses and cooler were installed (A4 3.2). So far, so good but need more seat time to confirm it's been solved.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

So since Audi of Alexandria, denies that there is a high speed shimmy TSB and that I bent my rims and all the wheels were out of true, etc etc

Should I take it to another dealer? And if I do, will they be able to see the notes Audi of Alexandria wrote up? Is it worth it to call AoA and make the Alexandria dealer fix it?

its the difference of a 5 minute drive to the dealer and a 30 minute drive to the dealer?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeye96
So since Audi of Alexandria, denies that there is a high speed shimmy TSB and that I bent my rims and all the wheels were out of true, etc etc

Should I take it to another dealer? And if I do, will they be able to see the notes Audi of Alexandria wrote up? Is it worth it to call AoA and make the Alexandria dealer fix it?

its the difference of a 5 minute drive to the dealer and a 30 minute drive to the dealer?
What model year A4? The TSB is only for cars built before November of 2009. The TSB number I posted earlier in the thread (2022179/3) does indeed exist but I have to go back and forth with the AoA rep on the phone before they managed to find it. I don't think dealerships can see each other's service records, I know that AoA certainly can't.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
I don't think dealerships can see each other's service records, I know that AoA certainly can't.
FWIW, I am of this opinion too dealerships can not see each other's service records unless things have changed. Many years ago on a non-Audi vehicle I asked if they could see what work another dealership had done on the car. The answer was no.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I notice some high speed shudder but only around 80mph. I've also experienced the low speed shake, but only once. I'm 09 and qualify for the tsb time-range, though I'm outside the 6month/1year adjustment timeframe.

I'd love to get the tsb work done but dread trying to convince the dealer... any advice?

Quick Reply: So what are the chances the dealership will fix my steering shimmy?