A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

So what are the chances the dealership will fix my steering shimmy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dk1
You are probably driving just a bit slower.
Thats a really simple answer I didn't think of. Nice.

The most frustrating thing about the whole problem is that it's not consistent. Sometimes I can get the dealer to admit to it, sometimes not. But my favorite is when I'm in the car with someone and it starts shimmying and I say "That's the vibration that Audi says doesn't exist."
Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easy way to notice the shimmy (it's not visible but you can feel it clearly) is to gently change direction from side to side.

Hold the steering wheel with your thumb and forefinger.

John.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 102 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dap12321
I'm gonna throw something out here -- is it possible that driving in the rain reduces the vibration? I took the car to the dealer yesterday and was paying close attention to the shimmy and didn't feel it as much. The dealer (this is RFB #4) said they didn't feel it, though they did follow the TSB steps (which AoA says doesn't exist). Sure enough today (dry) it was back in full force. If it is the control arms, or the bushings or whatever -- is it possible that water would... have some effect? Or am I slowly just going insane due to the A4?

The ONLY reason I haven't dumped this car is that it doesn't make financial sense right now. So tired of the shimmy, fighting dealers, and the inconsistencies between AoA and the dealers.

A family member of mine had a Ford with the same problems.. .a FORD... and they were falling over themselves to replace the control arms.

dap, you have a private mail message.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I give up. Dealt with a (very nice) executive level rep at AoA and eventually the dealer replaced the control arms. I still feel the shimmy. Either a) they didn't actually replace the control arms b) it's not the cause of the problem, in which case i'm at a total loss, or c) I'm going insane (although I sort of doubt it because others in the car can feel it too).

Oh well, I'm really disappointed, but tired of dealing with it.

On top of all this for the last few days my car has stalled at the first stop sign I encounter. It's only been 40-ish degrees out.

Still have a strange soft spot for this car, but pretty sure it's my first and last Audi.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I give up. Dealt with a (very nice) executive level rep at AoA and eventually the dealer replaced the control arms. I still feel the shimmy. Either a) they didn't actually replace the control arms b) it's not the cause of the problem, in which case i'm at a total loss, or c) I'm going insane (although I sort of doubt it because others in the car can feel it too).
While the new control arms alleviated 95% of my shimmy, I still got a bit of vibration. I finally replaced all 4 OEM Pirelli P6 tires at 25K mi for a set of Conti DWS and for the last 5K miles the ride has been smooth as glass.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

dap12321, have you ruled out 'out of round' tires which can be changing to more or less due to 'flat spotting' after parking. I noticed that one of your later diagnoses came out as "due to the tires". Could they pin point which tire(s) it was and what type of problem they found (out of round or a 'wobble' etc)?
It seems that the B8 is sensitive to imperfect tires.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi8k
dap12321, have you ruled out 'out of round' tires which can be changing to more or less due to 'flat spotting' after parking. I noticed that one of your later diagnoses came out as "due to the tires". Could they pin point which tire(s) it was and what type of problem they found (out of round or a 'wobble' etc)?
It seems that the B8 is sensitive to imperfect tires.
Yea I don't think anyone said anything definate about the tires themselves.. The rims, yes.. But not the tires themselves. But I think I'll shortly be replacing tires in any event.. Conti DWS seem to be the consensus. The reviews didn't seem that good, but people on the forum seem to be happy w them.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yea I don't think anyone said anything definate about the tires themselves.. The rims, yes.. But not the tires themselves. But I think I'll shortly be replacing tires in any event.. Conti DWS seem to be the consensus. The reviews didn't seem that good, but people on the forum seem to be happy w them.
Yeah, at least two were out of round even though they balanced to spec by the dealer. I gave up on the Pirellis and took a chance that new tires would solve the problem. They did. I ordered them from Tirerack, had my dealer R&R and rebalance and all was well. (We settled on a 50% discount on the rebalance of the Contis as balancing the Pirellis didn't fix the issue).
Now that the DWS are broken in, I am very pleased with them. Check out my review on the forum:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=dws
Old 11-24-2010, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh well, I'm really disappointed, but tired of dealing with it.

On top of all this for the last few days my car has stalled at the first stop sign I encounter. It's only been 40-ish degrees out.

Still have a strange soft spot for this car, but pretty sure it's my first and last Audi.
Might I suggest the following vehicle brands and corporations for your next vehicle finance, lease or purchase, dap12321: Ford Motors (soon to be Ford, Ford Truck and Lincoln), Fuji Motors (now Daihatsu, Fuji Heavy Industries, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Suzuki), Honda Motors (Acura, Honda and Isuzu), Hyundai Motors (Hyundai and Kia) and Nissan Motors (Infiniti, Nissan, Nissan Truck.

I would recommend General Motors (now Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC; maybe Buick, Cadillac and Chevrolet in a few years) and Volvo. Unfortunately, past problems with General Motors (or GM for short) were so awful that they made the problems with the Volkswagen/Audi Group vehicles (old and especially new) look like the 2006 and prior Toyotas by comparison. General Motors future is very uncertain. Volvo's new ownership is very questionable at best. Therefore, Volvo's future is also very uncertain. As a result, I cannot recommend GM and Volvo, unfortunately.

Stay far, far, far away from the following vehicle brands and corporations: all Europeans outside of Volvo and the Volkswagen/Audi Group (esepcially Aston Martin and non exotic British brands like Jaguar and Land Rover and the 2008+ BMW Group-which is currently BMW, BMW Motorcycle, Mini and Rolls Royce), 2007+ Toyota Motors (Toyota Motors is Lexus, Scion, Toyota and Toyota Truck) and Chrysler Motors (now Chrysler, Dodge, Dodge Truck and Jeep). The vehicle brands and corporations in this paragraph are problematic enough to make all Volkswagen/Audi Group vehicles (old and especially new) look like the 2006 and prior Toyota Motors vehicles.

To put things in perspective, the 2005+ Audis that are typically (but by NO means entirely) troublesome are: the the 2005+ A8 4.2 and A8L 4.2 (the only A8s that ruined the previous A8 in Consumer Reports-or CR for short), the 2005 and early build 2006 A8L W12, the 3.0T and 4.2 versions of the Q7 (the only versions of the Q7 that ruined the Q7 in CR), all versions of the 2005 and early build 2006 A6, the 3.0T version only of the 2009 to 2011 A6 (the only version of the current A6 that ruined the current A6 in CR), all versions of the 2009 Q5 (the only Q5s that ruined the Q5 in CR) all versions of the 2007 to 2009 A3 (the only A3s that ruined the current A3 in CR) and all versions of the 2008 to 2010 TT (the only TTs that ruined the current TT in CR).

Otherwise, all 2005+ Audis are typically (but by NO means entirely) trouble free. That is, despite what North American Audi financers, leasees and owners on the Audi message boards-particularly the North American Audi financiers, leasees and owners here on AudiWorld would lead (or mis lead) people to believe.

Last edited by Audi S5 TC; 11-24-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
the 2005+ Acuras...The vehicle brands and corporations in this paragraph are problematic enough to make all Volkswagen/Audi Group vehicles (old and especially new) look like the 2006 and prior Toyota Motors vehicles and 2004 and prior Acuras by comparison.
Why are you telling people that 2005+ Acuras are extremely unreliable? Your conclusion is the opposite of the recommendation provided by your main source, Consumer Reports.

Quick Reply: So what are the chances the dealership will fix my steering shimmy?