A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

So what are the chances the dealership will fix my steering shimmy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So what are the chances the dealership will fix my steering shimmy?

I've got both problems (highway shimmy at 65-80mph, and turning vibration at 0-5mph). I've got both TSB numbers ready to go (2020332/4 and 2022179/2), although I have no print outs since the Bentley manual doesn't have them yet (anyone got pdfs?). What are the chances they'll replace the front control arms and the one power steering hose without any hassle?

Somewhat unrelated, I think both my rear wheel bearings are going bad... not even at 15,000 miles. There is noticeable play in the rear wheels that I observed when rotating the tires, doing the classic test of grabbing the wheels at 12 and 6'o clock and shaking.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
I've got both problems (highway shimmy at 65-80mph, and turning vibration at 0-5mph). I've got both TSB numbers ready to go (2020332/4 and 2022179/2), although I have no print outs since the Bentley manual doesn't have them yet (anyone got pdfs?). What are the chances they'll replace the front control arms and the one power steering hose without any hassle?

Somewhat unrelated, I think both my rear wheel bearings are going bad... not even at 15,000 miles. There is noticeable play in the rear wheels that I observed when rotating the tires, doing the classic test of grabbing the wheels at 12 and 6'o clock and shaking.
i have an "09 s-line tip sedan" and experienced the 65mph shimmy. my dealer found a bad tire and relpaced it and the shimmy went away. in addition, they replaced the front lower a-arms and i have, since, rotated my tires and have never experienced any shimmy since their fix. bottom line, the fix works, and any dealer that denies the problem, is a lying sack of sh*&% period. by the way, there is a "tsb".
Old 07-04-2010, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and i believe they also replace a power sterring hose
Old 07-04-2010, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the low-speed shimmy and am fully prepared for the dealership to tell me that I have to pay out-of-pocket for the fix since I have aftermarket wheels and suspension, even tho the fix is the new power steering hose.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're in Northern NJ, I've been through the process with Jack Daniels @ Upper Saddle River. No problems. Demoed the initial problem - roadforce balance as per TSB. Problem remained so had the control arms done.

My problem is that the shimmy is still there for me and they have the car now to diagnose.

I was truly expecting the control arms to fix the problem. In most cases, this seems to be true.

As for a strategy - I just made sure that the 'complaint' as as close to the TSB language/symptoms as possible. I din't need to throw the TSB paperwork around.

John.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
What are the chances they'll replace the front control arms and the one power steering hose without any hassle?
I'm reminded of that Daniel Day Lewis movie where he states, "Oh they will be blood".

It's pretty much the same for the shimmies.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an update: Going to the dealer on Tuesday for an oil change and to have the two steering issues fixed..... wish me luck.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is my 3rd Audi in 10 years (leased 2010 A4 P+) and will definitely be my last. I spent months to get the high-speed vibration issue addressed, and now I can't even get the recognized low-speed shudder fixed.

Summary:

I travel a lot, and have narrow windows in which to take my car in for repairs.

In April, I told my local Audi shop about the low-speed shudder. After half an hour of research, they told me they have the solution of replacing the steering hose (already known to me). It takes a few days to order the part.

May, I had to cancel my appointment.

June, I showed up only to be told that all Audi employees had a mandatory 2 hour mid-day meeting that day (after I left my car there for 2 hours already). I was told that the part was available and ready to be put into my car. Unfortunately, I did not have 6 hours to waste that day.

Yesterday, I showed up for my appointment. The service manager, the exact same one who talked with me in June, has no recollection of the problem. She wanted to test-drive my car before issuing a service ticket. After some polite arguing on my part, she then tells me that though there is a TSB about the problem, there is no fix for it. This is despite the fact that she was ready to replace the steering hose last month. Of course, the parts department has no record of it either, and does not have the part available. Apparently the computer records are also deficient.

After I gave her the TSB number, she finally did acknowledge that there is a known problem and came up with the replacement part, which was in her possession one month ago.

Unfortunately, I will be out of town for the next 3 weeks, and who knows what will happen when I see them again to get the repair done.

This sort of incompetence is just not acceptable to me. I am not interested in getting anyone fired; I just want to get the steering hose replaced in a neighboring city with the minimum of fuss. Of course, I will never buy/lease an Audi ever again. In the meantime, how can I contact Audi of America with my problem? None of their websites actually show a phone number.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bill T
This is my 3rd Audi in 10 years (leased 2010 A4 P+) and will definitely be my last. I spent months to get the high-speed vibration issue addressed, and now I can't even get the recognized low-speed shudder fixed.

Summary:

I travel a lot, and have narrow windows in which to take my car in for repairs.

In April, I told my local Audi shop about the low-speed shudder. After half an hour of research, they told me they have the solution of replacing the steering hose (already known to me). It takes a few days to order the part.

May, I had to cancel my appointment.

June, I showed up only to be told that all Audi employees had a mandatory 2 hour mid-day meeting that day (after I left my car there for 2 hours already). I was told that the part was available and ready to be put into my car. Unfortunately, I did not have 6 hours to waste that day.

Yesterday, I showed up for my appointment. The service manager, the exact same one who talked with me in June, has no recollection of the problem. She wanted to test-drive my car before issuing a service ticket. After some polite arguing on my part, she then tells me that though there is a TSB about the problem, there is no fix for it. This is despite the fact that she was ready to replace the steering hose last month. Of course, the parts department has no record of it either, and does not have the part available. Apparently the computer records are also deficient.

After I gave her the TSB number, she finally did acknowledge that there is a known problem and came up with the replacement part, which was in her possession one month ago.

Unfortunately, I will be out of town for the next 3 weeks, and who knows what will happen when I see them again to get the repair done.

This sort of incompetence is just not acceptable to me. I am not interested in getting anyone fired; I just want to get the steering hose replaced in a neighboring city with the minimum of fuss. Of course, I will never buy/lease an Audi ever again. In the meantime, how can I contact Audi of America with my problem? None of their websites actually show a phone number.
May I recommend the following vehicle brands and corporations for your future vehicle purchases, Bill: Ford Motors (which is now Ford, Lincoln and Mercury), Fuji Motors (which is now Daihatsu, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Suzuki), Hyundai Motors (Hyundai and Kia) and Nissan Motors (Infiniti, Nissan and Renault).

I would recommend Cadillac and the current Chevrolet Camaro and Corvette. However, General Motors (which is now Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC) has an extremely uncertain future. That cancels out the Cadillacs, Chevrolet Camaro and Chevrolet Corvette.

I would also recommend the current Dodge Challenger. However, Chrysler's future is a little more uncertain than General Motors' future. That cancels out the Dodge Challenger.

I would also recommend Volvo. However, they are now Chinese owned with Hummer and Saab. The Chinese vehicle brand(s) and corporation (which, IIRC is Spyker Motors) build vehicles that are so awful that they make the bad Volkswagen/Audi Group vehicles look like the 2006 and prior Toyota Motors vehicles. The Chinese will most likely make Volvo (which always has been excellent) as bad as the Chinese vehicles themselves. Hummer and Saab were butchered by General Motors and the Chinese will butcher these two brands ever further. Unless the Chinese maintain or improve on Volvo's excellence (which is possibly but highly unlikely), Volvo also gets cancelled out.

Stay far, far away from Acura (they currently have lots of problems that are frequent and severe; other Honda Motors vehicles-Honda and Isuzu are still excellent), Toyota Motors (Lexus, Scion and Toyota) and all other Europeans (especially the following: the 2008+ BMW Group vehicles, Aston Martin and the non exotic English) as they are so awful that they, too, make the bad Volkswagen/Audi Group vehicles (which, for the most part, are models and model years from 1984 to 1990 and especially models and model years from 1998 to 2004, which themselves are very bad, FWIW) look like the 2006 and prior Toyota Motors vehicles by comparison.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill T
In the meantime, how can I contact Audi of America with my problem? None of their websites actually show a phone number.

AoA (800)822-2834

I see you're a 2010, so the hose fix is def available and def fixes the issue.

It's an all day event so get a loaner for a couple of days and get them to knock out a few issues while she's in the shop - oil change, control arms, etc...

If you ding that dealer with AoA, trust me, that dealer will be calling you the next day to apologize and offer you a time and place to get these issues rectified. They may even offer you pick up service where they come to you and swap cars out.

I will say, I've had an Audi for almost 10 yrs and the new B8 seems to be more in the shop then the last one. It's got a helluva lot more technology in it compared to my b6, so I am hoping that these issue start resolving soon. Ever since the hose & the arms were replaced, I'm only down to a few more small details that I think are software related: 2nd gear stick & reverse brake grab. No fix for either as of date. Other than that she's performed quite well. Get STaSIS or APR tune and it's even better.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: So what are the chances the dealership will fix my steering shimmy?