A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A Sirius problem (won't activate)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Sauce, did you ever get your traffic service to work? Couple months ago, Sirius tried to give me that line about needing two ESN's in order to get both traffic and audio services. After much back and forth, it became clear that you can't use one ESN for two "separate" audio and traffic subscriptions. You have to get the audio/traffic single subscription - think they call it "Audio w/ SiriusXM Traffic". Once they changed the type of subscription to that one, everything worked just fine. That is, audio and traffic both worked even though I only have one ESN.

Originally Posted by Mr. Sauce
Has anyone had any trouble renewing their Sirius Traffic subscription after the trial period? I've spent countless hours with Sirius customer service...to no avail. In the current state, I have access to all Sirius audio channels...but when I select the INFO button I don't get any of the traffic data for the Navigation system. I had traffic during the trial period...but Sirius says that there's no "package" that allows me to use a single ESN for both Audio (radio) & Data (traffic) packages. Has anyone had this same experience?

2011 Q5 - Prestige
Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did actually get the Sirius problem resolved after speaking with Audi North America customer service line. Fortunately now, it all appears to be working well.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by theautoking
TIP:

Do not buy into Sirius's "soft" and "hard" reset troubleshooting suggestions. These methods do not work and result in nothing but frustration on the consumers part as well as possible hefty (and unnecessary) fees for a new factory installed radio that you do not need to replace

If you are having difficulties re-activating your service, do the following:

1. Write down your ESN number for your Sirius Account. (This will be important later)

2. Call Sirius and ask for Technical Support. Tell the representative you have done the "soft" reset and it does not work.
- Make sure your radio is tuned to Ch. 184 and car ant. is not obstructed in any way.

3. Ask the Tech Rep to enter in a "DUMMY" ESN number to your Sirius Account, refresh and then RE-ENTER your original ESN number. Once that has been done, have the technical rep RE-SEND the activation signal.
- According the tech rep I spoke with at Sirius, your ESN cannot be saved in their system and once it is erased it is difficult to locate again. I'm not sure how 'true' that is, but thats the reason for step #1.

4. DONE. no soft resets and no hard resets.

Fortunately for me, I figured this out within 24 hours of reactivating my service with Sirius.

MY STORY: I had a free 1yr trial and did not renew my subscription. A year later (now) I wanted to have the Sirius service again and then I started having problems "reactivating" my service. I don't know the technical side behind why you have to have Sirius put a "dummy" ESN in the system (or zero out your ESN) reenter your original ESN and then resend the signal, but it works. And its the only thing that made sense to me.

I hope this helps everyone who has been frustrated with this.
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pilot4300
Unfortunately, Sirius only seems to give you the great subscription deals once your prior one has expired, so I am going to have to get used to this practice.
What kind of deal are they currently offering? The 3 month trial that came with my car is almost up.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
so I called the 1-800 # on the display a cpl of hrs later. I went through the automated menu to 'activate' my service. It went through w/out a hitch.
I had success with the 800# number activation routine as well when I re-upped last week. The off-shore telephone rep could not get the activation completed.

I re-upped at $25 for 6 months with some skepticism. I rarely use the Sirius network as the number of commercials and general trash is somewhat overwhelming. Sirius has been a real disappointer.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey uberwgn! How do you find the reception in your area? You live fairly close to me. Sirius would cut out under every bridge and would lose signal for longer periods on streets with over-hanging trees...even in winter! The wife's Jeep on the otherhand works extremely well in the same areas. I had the same problem on a previous VW. I wrote a letter to Sirius and AoA to summarize the issue. AoA left me a message Friday and I need to return their call. No reply from Sirius. I didn't ask for anything, just gave them feedback on the poor reception. As far as I can tell, the issue is either the radio or the antenna and not my area since the reception in the Jeep is superior to the VW/Audis. Will call AoA back very soon. Just curious if you have had great reception or not.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by zulujams
Sirius would cut out under every bridge and would lose signal for longer periods on streets with over-hanging trees...even in winter!
My car is exactly the same I've driven other Sirius-equipped cars and never noticed the common drop-outs.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CPS2010
Mr. Sauce, did you ever get your traffic service to work? Couple months ago, Sirius tried to give me that line about needing two ESN's in order to get both traffic and audio services. After much back and forth, it became clear that you can't use one ESN for two "separate" audio and traffic subscriptions. You have to get the audio/traffic single subscription - think they call it "Audio w/ SiriusXM Traffic".
Or you can get traffic only, as I do.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
My car is exactly the same I've driven other Sirius-equipped cars and never noticed the common drop-outs.
Yay! That helps validate my issue, at least to me! Oops, I mean, sorry to hear you have this problem also! There must be others who have this lack of reception, or they don't know how much better it can be. I had a nice chat with an Audi rep in Michigan who apologized for the lack of reception and agreed to pass the feedback on to Audi Engineering. I'm glad to at least know that my voice was heard. There doesn't appear to be a fix for it, and I have no plans to swap out the radio and antenna for aftermarket parts. While Sirius would be nice to have, I'm content with the jukebox, SD cards, and AMI iPod connector. I'm sure many others get great reception elsewhere in the country and in metro areas with ground repeaters. For those who do, enjoy.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi there-

We might need to refresh your signal? Have you tried this? Here's a link on how to refresh it: https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/ap...fresh%20signal

If this doesn't help, send us an email with your contact information to sxm_help@siriusxm.com, and we'd be happy to help!

Thanks,
SiriusXM Digital Care Team

Quick Reply: A Sirius problem (won't activate)