A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Shoppig around (long!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Shoppig around (long!)

I had some time to spare today so I thought I'd do some new car shopping. After owning two Audis, I have it ingrained in my head that I'll buy another, but I thought I'd take a look at what else is out there. So I stopped by the new BMW dealership that is about 15 minutes from my house.

I have to admit that I was in awe when I drove up to the place. The new dealership is way up on a hill, approached by a winding road. Down below in front of the building is a lot with a sea of gleaming new BMWs in every model/color you could imagine. I wish I had taken a picture because it was enough to take your breath away.

When I walked inside the dealership, I was given a friendly hello by a receptionist at the front desk. Inside the showroom, a jazz band was playing, and there was a table nearby filled with hors d'oeuvres. Was this a special occasion, I thought, or do they do this every day?

There was a salesman standing nearby, but he did not rush over to me. Rather, he allowed me to walk around drooling over the cars in the showroom. I ended up ogling a drop-dead gorgeous Navy blue M5, with a sticker price of $89,000 and change. If I ever win the lottery, I'm rushing back here and buying two of `em!

After awhile, the salesman, named Tom, walked over and asked me if I needed any assistance. I told him that I am shopping for a new car. We chatted briefly, and I asked him if we could talk over some figures. Certainly, he said, and we walked into his office. He immediately pulled BMW's Web site up on his computer screen, and we discussed what model and options I wanted.

First, I pointed out to him that this is the first dealership that I have stopped at and that I plan to visit three or four more. Then we discussed what I wanted - A 2009 328i Xdrive, navy blue, with the sports package and cold weather package.

Using the computer, he added up all the options, and came up with a price of about $42,400. "Now what kind of a deal can you give me?" I asked. So he wrote down the $42,400 on a piece of paper and started figuring out what he could knock off the MSRP price. At this point I interrupted him and said, "before you go on, let's try things a little differently." OK, he said.

I continued, "What is the lowest markup over invoice that you can let me have this car for?"

"Five hundred dollars," he replied, with absolutely no hesitation. "Five hundred is a profit we can live with."

I then asked him that in addition to the destination fee ($825) would there be any other fees? He said there would also be a $299 "documentation fee." When I purchased my B6 back in 2001 I paid a $250 "advertising fee," so I guess that the $299 is not so bad.

Meanwhile, during our conversation, Tom tried to gently steer me away from getting the sports package, pointing out that the run-flat tires it comes with have a lower profile than the standard tires and make the car's ride very firm. However, I really prefer the sports seats and different rims that come with the sports package. Also, at this point in time I chose not to discuss my trade-in, but what they would give me would be a big factor in my decision.

After our "negotiations," Tom took me on a tour of the new facility, including a look inside the service bay area. The place was spotless; you could eat off the floor. He then gave me a BMW brochure. I then departed, and as I walked to my car I had a really confident feeling that this would be a good place to do business with.

Next, within a week or so I plan to return to my Audi dealership, where I went last November to test drive the B8. It's time to sit down with them and talk turkey. But, the Audi boys will have to do a lot to impress me as much as the BMW gang did. Yes, I know I haven't test driven a Bimmer yet, but I definitely will before making a final decision.

Should I get a new BMW over an Audi B8? These are some of the (BMW) factors that will help me decide:

<b>Pros:</b> Four year/50,000-mile free maintenance, awesome comfortable seats, s
Old 03-14-2009, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I do like the 09 3-series

It was a very close race before I ended up with the A4.

Right now BMW's financing beats the snot out of Audi's, so BMW would be the financially smarter choice. I've been know to make some boneheaded financial decisions in my life though.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What was the deciding factor that made you buy an Audi?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the F01 3 series will not be until 2010 MY so you have few years. the 2009

just had its mid life impulse
(BMW speak for facelift)
Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Shoppig around (long!)

I'm in a similar position. Looking at my third A4, but seriously considering a BMW this time around. I'll echo the point about financing-- via purchase or lease-- BMW is offering far more to potential customers. 0.9 for up to 60 months, and first two payments? Audi's not even close.

To your list of pros and cons, you might give Audi the nod on fuel consumption. I've been really impressed with my B7 2.0T MPG figures.

Also, when you do a feature-by-feature comparison re. options, the Audi has a slight advantage on price.

On the other hand, year after year, the 3 series is heralded as the gold standard in this class of car. How a car feels to a driver is subjective, of course, but the press on these cars has always put the 3 series as the car others are trying to match or surpass.

Features, press, cost aside, I have a hard time with the "cache" that comes with a BMW. The brand is an icon of sorts, signifying (to some) excess, gaudy prestige, brand consumerism. I'd almost feel as if I needed to apologize for owning one. For some reason, Audi doesn't have the same baggage. I know it shouldn't matter. I should just drive what I want to drive, but still...
Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A few things...

1. During my test drives quattro outperformed the xDrive on ice and snow, and I live in hilly ski-country.

2. A4 interior is nicer and feels more plush and cozy

3. I like the 4 individual water bottle holders in each door. This probably seems like a trivial detail to most of you but I hate having water bottles rolling around on the floorboards. My kids can each have their own bottle under their own control now. Meanwhile the 3-series has two wonky cupholders on the passenger side. I know in Germany they don't believe in drinking water while driving but I'm a thirsty American.

4. Snazzy LED's

5. B&amp;O stereo kicks ***

6. A4 interior space feels more voluminous and this is our family road trip car. Big trunk too.

7. A4 has a higher safety rating and has some nice safety features such as side assist and ginormous sideview mirrors.

It was a close one, because I almost chose the 335i xDrive for its powahhh. Next car maybe.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default In addition to the financing deals BMW also has huge factory cash incentives this month

We're talking $6000!

A 335i would have been the same cost as my A4. It was really hard to pass up. [sigh]
Old 03-14-2009, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Shut-Up! You guys are turning me towards the Dark Side! :-P
Old 03-14-2009, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default bmw vs audi

the only reason I would consider the 3 series at this point is because of the recent facelift, the car before that looked very cheap compared to any Audi, and I have a feeling this new car will age just as quickly...B6 and B7 A4's still look really fresh on the road because you hardly see any, so the Audi would be a wise choice (at least that's one of the many reasons I chose it)...when I see B7's - even though I had one and willingly traded it in for a newer car - I still get jealous and want one...I think Audi designs and quality speak for themselves...Which is another point - did you get a chance to check out the BMW interior? unless they updated that as well, the base interior is pretty unspectacular.

So as a greedy Audi driver, I whole-heartedly suggest you buy the BMW, because it would mean one less Audi on the road and one more person who just doesn't get that there is no comparison.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default If you want an wagon then theres no choice

I really thought BMW might get my cash this time but as soon as I saw the trunk space it was game over. Love the split tail gate but the space in the current 3 series is small than my B6 S4 saloon.

My wife was also wary of RWD (we don't get the X models in the UK).

It was tempting with the discounts plus with free leather and metallic paint.

B8 won easily in the long run.

Let's not even mention the Merc C-class!!

Quick Reply: Shoppig around (long!)