A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Saga continues, pay $10k more for 2010 or equal trade for 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saga continues, pay $10k more for 2010 or equal trade for 2008

Okay, so continuing from my prior thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2758377&page=4

I still HATE my 09 IS250 AWD, still cramping up my R leg/hip and now my knee. Absolutely atrocious hump...

I'm curious what would you guys do? Given that I already spent $26k plus traded in a perfectly fine 05 TSX (which otherwise couldn't negotiate anything snowy/hilly), what would you do? My current options and thoughts:

1a)Go back in time and shoot myself in the foot for trading my TSX for the IS, and wish I had gotten either an 09 A4 or TL in the first place.

1b)Continue to live with a sore R foot/leg/hip/knee, etc....

2a)Pay an additional ~$7k-$10k on a new 2010 A4 2.0T manual.

2b)I'm waiting to see how the 2010 Acura TL-AWD 6spd manual drives. As controversial as the looks are, it's an otherwise fine sedan with a harsh ride.

3)Try to get an equal trade in on a lightly used 2008 A4 2.0T/3.2 manual, w/ or w/out nav

4)I found a CPO 38k mile 06 A42.0T S-line w/nav manual for $28k. Audi is offering up to $3k cash back with the IS trade in. Very low offer IMHO; I decided to pass on this car b/c carfax should prior accident hx. But the idea is there, find a lightly used 06+ A4 and try to get $$ back.

What would you do?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How long do you plan to keep the new car?

If say 3 years or more I would just pay up and buy the A4.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If it were me, option #3 would be my choice.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

get a new a4!!!!!! live it up
Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure if i'm reading correctly, but does option 4 mean the dealer evaluated your trade to be worth $31k?

For that amount, wouldn't you be able to put down a few thousand more (not including whatever equity you've already put into the IS) to get a used 09 A4? I would guess a manual would be hard to find though.

There are even forum members who might be considering trading in their 09's just for the 2010 3g navigation (myself included) if it weren't for the payoff-to-trade-in value discrepancy. You might be able to find a used 09 at or below payoff prices. However, you would then have to figure out how to sell the IS yourself. But basically, if you are able to sell the IS yourself, it opens up a whole new set of options....even buying out a lease on a B7 A4 and then potentially purchasing the car after the lease is up (the wife's '08 A4 SE lease ends with something like 17-19k residual which I believe can be further negotiated at lease end)

I definitely understand what you are saying about an uncomfortable driving position. If you spend a good amount of time in the car, it's definitely not worth the hip and joint pain.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by userbbc
not sure if i'm reading correctly, but does option 4 mean the dealer evaluated your trade to be worth $31k?

For that amount, wouldn't you be able to put down a few thousand more (not including whatever equity you've already put into the IS) to get a used 09 A4? I would guess a manual would be hard to find though.

There are even forum members who might be considering trading in their 09's just for the 2010 3g navigation (myself included) if it weren't for the payoff-to-trade-in value discrepancy. You might be able to find a used 09 at or below payoff prices. However, you would then have to figure out how to sell the IS yourself. But basically, if you are able to sell the IS yourself, it opens up a whole new set of options....even buying out a lease on a B7 A4 and then potentially purchasing the car after the lease is up (the wife's '08 A4 SE lease ends with something like 17-19k residual which I believe can be further negotiated at lease end)

I definitely understand what you are saying about an uncomfortable driving position. If you spend a good amount of time in the car, it's definitely not worth the hip and joint pain.
You got it. I've gotten a range of initial trade in values from $29-$32k for the IS (Acura, Infiniti, Audi). The old adage that one can lose $10k just by driving the car off the lot holds merit (and anger)....

The IS was paid for full in cash (plus my old TSX, RIP). Not sure whether that works against or for me.

I have never run into this ergonomic problem before. But I have learned the hard way that when buying AWD sedans, there are more components that intrude into the interior, and which may cause an unnatural body posture.

You might say I'm hesitant to pull the trigger again, esp after already making one, and now having to potentially put in even MORE $$ on a depreciating object.

I like your idea of trying to sell the IS privately. Haven't tried it yet and am not sure how easy it will be to sell privately. That's a good idea though, to potentially buyout a B7 lease.

Advantage of trade in (at least in my state) is the tax credit.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You really are between a rock and a hard place!

I would try and see if you can firstly sell the IS on your own, that might give you a better price than trading it in, but with the tax credit you gotta see if this option really works.

Next I would go for a 2009 or 2010 A4, if you plan on keeping the car then might as well get the most current model. You don't want to be 2 or 3 generations old when selling it. Drive the latest be it the A4 or the TL. Call it entertainment tax if you have to pony up the extra cash.

If, you want to buy 2nd hand, CPO etc... then there are a whole lot of options. You can check out CPOs at different dealers or even carmax.com ... plus then you open yourself up to various other manufacterers too (BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes etc. etc.)

I hope I haven't confused matters for you, but just passing on my opinion, and what I would do if I was in your situation. At least we established one thing that you gotta let the IS go, no point dealing with pain and not enjoying the car you drive.