A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Rough Idle, Sputter, Die...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuffaloAudi
So...I have run into an issue with my 2010 Audi A4. She's at ~105k miles and last fall developed some idling issues (throwing error code P2178). Basically, it will turn over, sputter for five to ten seconds, and die. It just started to do this, but a week ago it did idle roughly at a light for a few seconds, before returning to normal and running fine for a week, before deciding it doesn't want to move. I replaced sparks and ignition coils and neither helped.

Some history. Had issues in November of last year, as well. At the time, I replaced the PCV Valve Engine Crankcase Vent.
Spoiler

that did solve the issue.

Any thoughts on how to pinpoint the issue?? Many thanks in advance!
so I have the same issue on my 2010 a4 but I only really have this problem when i step on it excessively when driving the day or night before. I found the solution to it never doing it was giving it an octane booster when its having its starting issues like that. Idk about you but mines I know for a fact is related to my fuel injectors but when I run an expensive octane booster it clears all the gunk out and I don’t have to replace any new shii that I don’t have to. I’ve already replaced the pcv valve twice and replaced the motor in its entirety. Try the octane booster and let me know !
Old 11-06-2023, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry to hear bro. I am going to Ft. Worth Audi this afternoon to sign papers to sell my 2013 Q5 over to them. It was problem after problem with it and so I am cutting my losses. My issues were the same with the, fuel to rich at bank.... and on and on. So I am so glad to be selling it off.
I hope you don't end up spending nothing but money on this huge problem they have and don't address. Good luck. BTW - if you are ever quoted the 2K to do the brakes.... do them yourself. They are extremely easy and MUCH cheaper. Just make sure to purchase the $12 sensor that goes on the brakes. I'm cancelling my Audi Forums membership as of right now and hope to NEVER be on it again as I will never purchase an Audi again.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by r68tomlin
Sorry to hear bro. I am going to Ft. Worth Audi this afternoon to sign papers to sell my 2013 Q5 over to them. It was problem after problem with it and so I am cutting my losses. My issues were the same with the, fuel to rich at bank.... and on and on. So I am so glad to be selling it off.
I hope you don't end up spending nothing but money on this huge problem they have and don't address. Good luck. BTW - if you are ever quoted the 2K to do the brakes.... do them yourself. They are extremely easy and MUCH cheaper. Just make sure to purchase the $12 sensor that goes on the brakes. I'm cancelling my Audi Forums membership as of right now and hope to NEVER be on it again as I will never purchase an Audi again.
don't hold back .. tell us how you REALLY feel
Old 04-21-2024, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BuffaloAudi
So...I have run into an issue with my 2010 Audi A4. She's at ~105k miles and last fall developed some idling issues (throwing error code P2178). Basically, it will turn over, sputter for five to ten seconds, and die. It just started to do this, but a week ago it did idle roughly at a light for a few seconds, before returning to normal and running fine for a week, before deciding it doesn't want to move. I replaced sparks and ignition coils and neither helped.

Some history. Had issues in November of last year, as well. At the time, I replaced the PCV Valve Engine Crankcase Vent.
Spoiler

that did solve the issue.

Any thoughts on how to pinpoint the issue?? Many thanks in advance!
I would say your problem is with ECM or ECU amongst others ..... take your cowling off washer fluid reservoir under hood on drivers side .....look for the fuse panel ....check the ECM Motronic power supply relay .....and the relay beside it ....mine had "643" 4H0951253A on it

Let me know
Old 04-22-2024, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainCapeBreton
I would say your problem is with ECM or ECU amongst others ..... take your cowling off washer fluid reservoir under hood on drivers side .....look for the fuse panel ....check the ECM Motronic power supply relay .....and the relay beside it ....mine had "643" 4H0951253A on it

Let me know
Are you responding to the original 5 year old quote ?