A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

RainX

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RainX

Has anyone used RainX Glass Treatment on their windshields? I'm wondering if it will confuse or impair the rain sensor.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RainX is an emulsion window cleaner that removes surface dirt with a solvent. The emulsion film then dries on the glass and when buffed it leaves the micro fissures in the surface of the glass filled. This results in a super smooth surface that reduces the "grip" of water drops.

The rain sensor is a closed loop infrared LED and sensor. When the windshield is dry the light from the LED passes through the glass and reflects back from the outer surface of the glass. This light is measured by the sensor, and sends a "dry" signal to the wipers. If there is a drop of water on the glass the light rays are bent by refraction and pass through the droplet and out into the air. Since the light is not reflected back to the sensor, it sends a "wet" signal to the wipers, and they take a swipe.

If you have a nightshot video camera or even some still cameras or phones you can see if the infrared LED's are working by pointing the camera at the area around the rear view mirror. They will be lit on the video screen, but invisible to the eye.

I don't see where it will have any effect on the automatic wiper system. RainX is one of those exterior products that is not really necessary, but if you like the way the rain drops blow off the windshield, you should use it. I like it so much, I take a couple ounces when I get a rental in rainy places like Thailand or Hawaii.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I love it too -use it on my 08 A4 - never a rpoblem and I love to watch those water beads jump around and get blown away!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's been many, many years since I used RainX, but my recollection was that while it did what it was supposed to it also made the wipers very ineffective. So you pretty much had to commit to not using the wipers if you decided to use RainX.

Is this still the case?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have had no ill affects using Rain-x on my A4. The OM does make a statement against said "emulsions".
I had some minor chatter on one wiper blade after the first application, however after repeat applications I've no other issues.
Anything over 40-45 mph and it simply cant hang on.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I use it all the time -- no issue.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

should have no issues... i use it on my mercedes. works just fine.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curious how often you guys apply Rain-X. I've only used it a couple of times so far and noticed that bug guts slide off almost as well as rain drops!
Old 08-22-2009, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The water doesn't smear when using the wipers with the RainX? That was the problem I remember having, particularly at lower speeds where the wind isn't enough to blow off the water.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have used Rain X for years and it works great. I recently noticed how much easier it is to remove dead bugs from the windshield. Jsut last week my windshield was covered with bugs and a rain came up in no time at all the wipers had removed the bugs and even outside the path of the wipers the bugs disappeared.

Quick Reply: RainX