A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Quality Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality Rims

I've been poking around the web quite a bit for rims for the car. I was looking to put up 20" rims for my summers next year (or tail end of this year)

Now, i'm looking for a decent wheel. I was looking at VMRs and how they are manufactured (gravity casting). I read that they are heavy wheels (26~27lbs) and that this would affect ride quality. Since I don't know much about rims, I thought I would compare with what I currently have. I currently have the OEM RS4 rims that came with my S-Line. Does anyone know what the specs on these are?

Also to "start" my shopping, good brands that members here would recommend?

Again, perhaps websites where I can shop with these "good brands" in mind?

Having said all this, if I can narrow it down for you, I like the VMR style of rims (VB3, V714, V715), i'm open to anything. Looking for suggestions, personal experiences and recommendations.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor

We don't have any 20" models, but you're about right on the weight of our 19" wheels. Anywhere from 25-27 lbs, depending on the model. Realistically you won't notice a performance difference vs your OE wheels as the weights are very similar.

If you're referring to the weight savings from forged wheels, it's something that won't make much of a difference in daily driving. Though if you track the car often, then yes, cutting down on unsprung weight helps.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MrStuff
I currently have the OEM RS4 rims that came with my S-Line.
What do you expect to improve on your OEM 19"s? Looks? Performance?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Increasing the wheel diameter isn't going to improve performance, in fact it has the opposite effect. A bigger wheel will increase in weight, which increases rotating mass and robs horsepower. It also decreases the size of the sidewall which takes away grip and ride quality at speed. If your looking for a wheel for performance your better off running with something like an 18x9. I'm unsure if anything wider will fit.

Like you, I have the RS4 style wheels which came on my Sport Package and mine are 19x9. Yours might be 18x9. Trust me, for the $$$ your going to have a pretty hard time beating these wheels. They're by far lighter then most 19x9 aluminum wheels and very strong. I'm not sure where you got the idea that thats heavy, but racing wheels in the 19x9 size weigh around 22-25lbs.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^Aren't the OEM RS4-style wheels 19x8.5?

Btw, 9.5"-wide wheels are doable but very few ppl run them. Everyone that does runs their tires stretched.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm looking for a bit of style while trying to avoid making the mistake of putting boat anchors on the car. (which is why I ask here) I was asking if it really makes that much difference or more if it hamper the car in a big way. I've seen several a4/s4 with nice looking20" wheels that were slightly out (20x9) with no rubbing.

I currently have the 19" oem rs4 wheels.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NickZag
It also decreases the size of the sidewall which takes away grip and ride quality at speed.
I am sure you meant that to be the case for sidewall sizes smaller than a certain point. For typical passenger tires with high sidewalls, the tires deform badly under hard cornering, warping the contact patch to reduce grip. But for very low profile tires, which need rather high pressures, maintaining good contact on typical less than smooth pavement becomes more difficult, and I assume that it what you are talking about?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MrStuff
I'm looking for a bit of style while trying to avoid making the mistake of putting boat anchors on the car. (which is why I ask here) I was asking if it really makes that much difference or more if it hamper the car in a big way. I've seen several a4/s4 with nice looking20" wheels that were slightly out (20x9) with no rubbing.

I currently have the 19" oem rs4 wheels.
Here is my two cents. Please let no one take this personally. It's just they way I see it. I think you would be throwing money down the drain. If the wheels you have are the ones I am think they are, they look great and they are of high quality. 19" is already really pushing it. 20" will probably provide you no additional grip, it will be heavier, probably not of the same quality as OEM, the ride will be more uncomfortable, and the chance of damaging them will go up a lot. When big rims stick out, they make the car look like a crappy cheap toy with elastic bands on tacky wheels. Some people like that look. I can't stand them. So worse performance and tacky looks is what you get for your hard earned money. Others may disagree

Last edited by av_audi; 08-27-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

2 cents appreciated.

The closest thing look wise that i'm trying to achieve is this.

Some of you might know SupraBlur. He had put 20" on his A5 and kicked the wheels out 5 to 15mm and I think they look great. (I believe the car is also lowered)

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...1t:429,r:2,s:0

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...1t:429,r:1,s:0

This is the type of "low key" subtle style i'm trying to achieve.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
I am sure you meant that to be the case for sidewall sizes smaller than a certain point. For typical passenger tires with high sidewalls, the tires deform badly under hard cornering, warping the contact patch to reduce grip. But for very low profile tires, which need rather high pressures, maintaining good contact on typical less than smooth pavement becomes more difficult, and I assume that it what you are talking about?
Yes your correct, if you go too high of a sidewall the tire will over flex when pushed in a turn and the contact patch will lose contact with the road, but a tire needs to have some flex to keep the patch on the road also. Anything smaller then around a 35 aspect ratio is about worthless unless your running a supper wide wheel (like 10"+) and even thing your pushing it. Most racing wheel are between 15-17" and run around a 50-65 aspect ratio (NASCAR uses a 300/55/15, or at least used to). The OP was asking about performance and weight for his wheel/tire combo, and I guarantee going with something like a 20x9 wheel with something like 265/30/19 tires is a far greater drop in performance then something like a 255/35/19 or 255/40/18, not to mention the increase rotating mass for moving a heavier and larger diameter wheel. Anyone needs to find the balance of sidewall thickness and tire width if your really looking for performance as far as looks.

Quick Reply: Quality Rims