A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

please talk me out of a S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetrade
I have a 2011 P+ A4. I have the speed bug but shouldn't spend the money to get a S4. Is there anyone that has had both and can talk me out of the extra $10,0000+ for an extra 222 horse power?
You are vacillating so buy a used one and if you sell it take less of a hit.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gary135r
Agree with that statement. Just came back from Germany and had a Tiguan 1.4 for a rental and hit 127 mph on the highway (granted going down hill with a full load of passengers), but if I did that here in the States I would be criminally charged for speeding. When people ask me why I don't chip my A4 I will tell them I do not know what to do with th extra speed my car has now, after I hit 4th gear with all the grannies driving.
I couldn't care less about fast driving on a straight line. 40-50mph on twisty roads and a fast acceleration past the apex or from a stop is what I care about and I enjoy it regularly except for this week and the Q5 loaner box I have right now. A tune can be quite enjoyable under those conditions too.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
I couldn't care less about fast driving on a straight line. 40-50mph on twisty roads and a fast acceleration past the apex or from a stop is what I care about and I enjoy it regularly except for this week and the Q5 loaner box I have right now. A tune can be quite enjoyable under those conditions too.
twisties are awesome no doubt, but if you ever get a chance to do some Autobahn driving, you will never forget it.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

twisties are awesome no doubt, but if you ever get a chance to do some Autobahn driving, you will never forget it.
I have driven at high speeds before. I find it very engaging and tiresome if I do it for more than 30 minutes or so. I have done 205km/h which is about what you did. Most of the cars in Europe don't have the power the cars in US have and at that time I was into high speed. I'm into acceleration and twisties how. Back then I could do 190-200km/h with a 82hp 1.6l naturally aspired coupe and then 205km/h with a 90hp 2.0l monoinjection Audi B4, which goes to show that we don't really need these powerful cars we have now to drive fast and we can be much more economical at that. The extra power makes a difference in how quickly you get to those speeds for which you pay with the gas mileage. 50mpg will be the norm in a few years. Whether we will get there through technology or by scaling back, we will see. The 3-cylinder turbocharged engines are coming! Having said that, I'll enjoy my tuned 270-ish HP A4 before such power may become exceptional in the near future unless the technology catches up with the gas mileage requirements.
To the OP, if you can afford the S4, buy it. If you are not sure it fits your budget, then don't. It's not about whether it's a better car than the A4 or not or whether is a better value for the money compared to the competition, because it is. It's about whether YOU can afford it or not.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Most of the cars in Europe don't have the power the cars in US have and at that time I was into high speed. which goes to show that we don't really need these powerful cars we have now to drive fast and we can be much more economical at that. The 3-cylinder turbocharged engines are coming! Having said that, I'll enjoy my tuned 270-ish HP A4 before such power may become exceptional in the near future unless the technology catches up with the gas mileage requirements.
Makes you wonder why we have so few enginge options compared to the European models (economics, culture). fun CAN be had plus, fuel economy. People dissed the turbo 4 in the A4, but now it is becoming the norm.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Makes you wonder why we have so few enginge options compared to the European models (economics, culture). fun CAN be had plus, fuel economy. People dissed the turbo 4 in the A4, but now it is becoming the norm.
Because the US market is smaller, the gas is twice as cheap, the sales tax is lower, the country is less populated, the families have more children, ... all reasons to buy different cars.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sundowner
I'll talk you out of the S4:
The S4 is the biggest rip-off Audi sells. It's arguably exactly the same as the A4 with the Sport Package, except they put a bigger motor in it and bilk you for an additional $8,000. They try to make you feel better about the money you spent by tossing $100 worth of fancy stitching, $5 of caliper paint, and $15 of shiny silver plastic on the mirrors and the rockers/front.

Aside from the fact that the car is completely inscrutable from any common A4 by any common person, only most hardened Audiphile would even bother to look at the emblems (or care) to see the difference between an A4 and an S4.

Add to this the fact that the S4 really shines over the A4 on wide open unhindered highway, which is laughably rare in this country, and the fact that you will pay though the nose for insurance and gasoline, and what you get with the S4 is a giant sloppy stupid person tax.

This is, of course, just my opinion, but it stands.
Have you driven a B8/8.5 S4 and, if so, with the sport diff?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetrade
I have a 2011 P+ A4. I have the speed bug but shouldn't spend the money to get a S4. Is there anyone that has had both and can talk me out of the extra $10,0000+ for an extra 222 horse power?
Do not buy it.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

They are completely different animals. To the person saying it's an 8,000 ripoff, they couldn't be further from the truth. The S4 feels and drives completely differently. It's not just the power, it's the road grip, driving dynamics and the nicer options. I had a 2013 A4 as a loaner for about a hundred mile round trip, and while it is a great car, every minute I was missing my S4 (was getting serviced and was driving to/from work.) Now if you can't afford it, the A4 is a fantastic car, but if you can...I'd highly recommend the S4.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sundowner
I'll talk you out of the S4:
The S4 is the biggest rip-off Audi sells. It's arguably exactly the same as the A4 with the Sport Package, except they put a bigger motor in it and bilk you for an additional $8,000. They try to make you feel better about the money you spent by tossing $100 worth of fancy stitching, $5 of caliper paint, and $15 of shiny silver plastic on the mirrors and the rockers/front.

Aside from the fact that the car is completely inscrutable from any common A4 by any common person, only most hardened Audiphile would even bother to look at the emblems (or care) to see the difference between an A4 and an S4.

Add to this the fact that the S4 really shines over the A4 on wide open unhindered highway, which is laughably rare in this country, and the fact that you will pay though the nose for insurance and gasoline, and what you get with the S4 is a giant sloppy stupid person tax.

This is, of course, just my opinion, but it stands.
as long as you have test driven one, this is understandable. Myself, I found the difference to be huge. People don't buy the s4 for its looks, its for the way it drives vs. A4. I rank it as audis best bang for the buck. Nothing can compete from any manufacturer for the price, as a daily driver.

Quick Reply: please talk me out of a S4