A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

OK - I'm convinced. Audi has no idea what they are doing by not bringing the Avant.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK - I'm convinced. Audi has no idea what they are doing by not bringing the Avant.

Subaru was one of two automakers to actually show positive sales growth in 2008. Their monthly sales volume is around 12,000 for wagons (legacy/outback/impreza), 6,000 for small wagon/suv crossover (forester...essentially a wagon) and 1200 for their mid-size SUV (tribeca).

Doesn't this fly in the face of Audi thinking??

Subaru states that marketing of their Legacy/forester lines was one of the main reasons for growth. They understand the value of AWD, fuel efficient vehicles that are promoted towards the out of doors.

Any concern Audi has about sedan v. wagon v SUV is a bed that they made and refuse to change. It is not a reality, Subaru is the proof.

-still ranting-
Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm pretty sure Audi did bring the Avant over or are you referring to the S4 Avant?

Which is a simple business decision. The volume was too low to justify the cost.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think he means allroad?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Only one model of Avant...no TDI, no S4, No allroad.

The excuse "volume too low to justify cost" is circular reasoning. Why is the volume too low? Subaru has shown positive sales growth by marketing of exactly the segement Audi states to be "low volume".

You make your bed, then lie in it. Don't expect different results if you keep doing it the same way.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi never advertises it's Avants, if they did sales would be much stronger...

I wish they would, but I'm giving up on AoA in making any good decisions these days...
Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Subaru is doing very well because their small SUV (Q5 for Audi) has doubled in sales

The Q5 is to Audi what the Forester is to Subaru. The Forester is Subaru's best selling vehicle. Subaru recently redesigned it, doing everything that enthusiasts complained about. (bigger/generic styling/less manuals/etc) Yet its sales have skyrocketed. How in the real world is that possible?

So what can Audi learn from Subaru? Oh yes, that America loves compact SUVs way more than any wagon.<ul><li><a href="http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=ind_focus.story&am p;STORY=/www/story/02-03-2009/0004965734&amp;EDATE=">SUV Outsells Wagons Even for Subaru</a></li></ul>
Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There's probably a small factor of slightly different markets

I wouldn't quite say that people looking at Audi would necessarily consider Subaru and such, and the demographics are probably quite different. Of course, there's probably an overlap where there are customers that would consider either vehicles or even one of each in their garage.

Me, I rather stick with Audi and I wouldn't even consider a Forester or Legacy, though the Legacy is a pretty good car for the money.

Things that don't help is that the number of S4 avants sold last year was something like 400. Pretty dismal. I hardly see any A4 avants here in Toronto and when I do, I wish I had one!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi AG is going to do exactly what they should do.......

Federalize and import those models to the US that they believe will net them the most profit and not pay to federalize and import those vehicle that they feel will not be profitable.

Does that strategy fullfill all my wants and desires?

Of course not. There are things I'd like to have available that make no financial sense to Audi.

And as the prophet Jagger once said....

"You can't always get what you want."

We can rail all we want about it here on AudiWorld but Audi AG doesn't live in AudiWorld. They have to survive in the real world.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Banned

Oh my goodness...a voice of reason??? ^5
Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Subaru is PROOF?

Well perhaps Subaru is proof -- but I can't make that "if then else" argument work.

Audi is growing, here and world wide (and that even factors in the recession, which has affected all makes generally speaking.) They are in the Premium Sector (took a long time to get there too and once you're there you still have to fight to stay there.)

Subaru is not in the premium sector, for one thing and Audi has "people" who look at the product, profit, image and market mix with an eye toward gaining either market share, mind share, profit or all of the above or some of the above.

Subaru, with respect to Audi, proves, er, little if anything.

The argument is, well, specious.

No offense meant.

Quick Reply: OK - I'm convinced. Audi has no idea what they are doing by not bringing the Avant.