A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtheman
So this morning I finally dropped off my avant for a part 2 of the oil consumption, brake fluid flush and a few switches that needed to be replaced. Saw a new Audi of America president, I believe he was discussing new RS5 with the media.
Anyway here is the interesting part; Since part-1 (650-680 miles) my car consumed almost no oil (MMI still shows almost full) and I told that to my SA. His answer to me was; since I have an 09 I am getting new rings regardless of how much oil was consumed. Audi is in the middle of a class action lawsuit and replacing rings on all of the 09's that come in with oil consumption complaint. Not too happy about it, will update as soon as I get a call back.
Anyone know if this have any sort of limits, my car is out of warranty being at 65k now? Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vtheman
So this morning I finally dropped off my avant for a part 2 of the oil consumption, brake fluid flush and a few switches that needed to be replaced. Saw a new Audi of America president, I believe he was discussing new RS5 with the media.
Anyway here is the interesting part; Since part-1 (650-680 miles) my car consumed almost no oil (MMI still shows almost full) and I told that to my SA. His answer to me was; since I have an 09 I am getting new rings regardless of how much oil was consumed. Audi is in the middle of a class action lawsuit and replacing rings on all of the 09's that come in with oil consumption complaint. Not too happy about it, will update as soon as I get a call back.
Im on the part now currently, do you think i should force them to do the rings too even if the part 1 will "fix" the problem ?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just purchased 2 weeks ago a CPO 2010 A4 premium plus with sport package. It's auto trans, 6 gears. Never knew of the oil consumption issue. Of course my luck what a bummer. Couple questions. Is this consumption issue likely to occur? Or is it more of an exception? Meaning, are there more "lucky" ones who don't have to deal with this?
And what should I do to keep an eye in this? Does the Display have an oil level meter? Additionally, the dealer gave me synthetic oil and the sticker shows next service (which I'm assuming includes the oil change) for 10k miles from now. Is that accurate? I know it's synthetic but still I'm used to every 3k oil changes. Also does the audi need to go to the dealer for oil change or am I able to bring it to any place...

Sorry for all the questions. Appreciate the help
Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jpeluso8
I just purchased 2 weeks ago a CPO 2010 A4 premium plus with sport package. It's auto trans, 6 gears. Never knew of the oil consumption issue. Of course my luck what a bummer. Couple questions. Is this consumption issue likely to occur? Or is it more of an exception? Meaning, are there more "lucky" ones who don't have to deal with this?
And what should I do to keep an eye in this? Does the Display have an oil level meter? Additionally, the dealer gave me synthetic oil and the sticker shows next service (which I'm assuming includes the oil change) for 10k miles from now. Is that accurate? I know it's synthetic but still I'm used to every 3k oil changes. Also does the audi need to go to the dealer for oil change or am I able to bring it to any place...
From what I hear its pretty likely to occur but the vast majority of times its a pretty simple fix for the dealership. They do a consumption test and change some valve. There is an oil level meter in the mmi and it will alert you if the oil level gets low. Yes, 10k is the normal oil change interval for these cars but I know some people on here like to do them more often ( I stick to around 8k). I go to the audi dealer to do the changes because they usually have coupons on their website for $60 synth oil change, which in my area is pretty cheap but you do not have to go to audi.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Jump through hoops?

So I talked to a local Audi Dealer here in the greater Atlanta area who said if I can prove that it is burning oil to them, bring it in for service and pay $800 or so to get this looked at, and that will begin this entire process.

Jiffy lube did my last oil change, but lost paperwork and they are not being too helpful at the location at finding proof of service. I don't think they logged it either when I went in two separate times for top off of fluids as well.

Anyone have advice on how to 100% ensure that they will take my 'proof' without questions, success stories welcome!

Also, if you know any good Audi dealers in the Atlanta area, please do tell.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Rome
So I talked to a local Audi Dealer here in the greater Atlanta area who said if I can prove that it is burning oil to them, bring it in for service and pay $800 or so to get this looked at, and that will begin this entire process.

Jiffy lube did my last oil change, but lost paperwork and they are not being too helpful at the location at finding proof of service. I don't think they logged it either when I went in two separate times for top off of fluids as well.

Anyone have advice on how to 100% ensure that they will take my 'proof' without questions, success stories welcome!

Is your car under warranty? If so, there is no reason you should have to pay $800. My dealer performed stage 1 after I notified them that my car had consumed 3/4 of a quart in the 800 miles since it had been serviced.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by B8kmon
From what I hear its pretty likely to occur but the vast majority of times its a pretty simple fix for the dealership. They do a consumption test and change some valve. There is an oil level meter in the mmi and it will alert you if the oil level gets low. Yes, 10k is the normal oil change interval for these cars but I know some people on here like to do them more often ( I stick to around 8k). I go to the audi dealer to do the changes because they usually have coupons on their website for $60 synth oil change, which in my area is pretty cheap but you do not have to go to audi.
Hey thanks for the reply. I appreciate it
Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Is your car under warranty? If so, there is no reason you should have to pay $800. My dealer performed stage 1 after I notified them that my car had consumed 3/4 of a quart in the 800 miles since it had been serviced.
+1

1 my world and they did part 1. No question asked.

im already on 900 mile so going to the dealer soon. oil level seems to be same on the mmi so i quess everything is fine.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Anyone know if this have any sort of limits, my car is out of warranty being at 65k now? Thanks!
If your car consumes oil you should be covered. At least I know that 09 MY is.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Jiffy Lube??? are you serious? Do they even carry a synthetic oil for your Audi?

as for everyone else: stage one will not fix your problem, it will in some cases temporarily reduce consumption. If your car takes a lot of oil you'll need new rings and pistons, period.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption