A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New cars...what's are you guys considering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New cars...what's are you guys considering?

My car's getting on in years and miles.
I've been thinking about some replacements, especially if my turbo ends up breaking and destroys the engine. I have the boost leak and the shaft is worn where the support is so it rattles.

I went from a 2003 325xi to the 09 A4 2.0T. It was a nice bump in power, and both were fun to drive.

I'm not so sure about getting a B8.5 A4. I'd rather get a B9, if it's a nice generational jump with the all digital speedo/tach display, etc.

The A3 is garbage. The whole interior feels and looks like a cheap rental car, except it's still $49,000 sitting on a dealers lot.

The Subaru Legacy is decent, but the nav/bt system is terrible, and they don't have Android Auto yet.

What do you guys think is a comparably driving car?
Old 01-16-2016, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a look at the new Jaguar XE . Should be coming out in a few months. Target market is Audi A4 and BMW 3 and MB c series.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

jagtoes, I don't know anyone that owns one... I've heard the "rumors" that like all luxury cars Jaguars are maintenance hogs. I haven't really experienced that on my A4 or 325xi.
I definitely haven't seen a lot of Jaguar dealerships...fewer than BMW and Audi.

What do you think the AWD will be like?
Old 01-17-2016, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ports
jagtoes, I don't know anyone that owns one... I've heard the "rumors" that like all luxury cars Jaguars are maintenance hogs. I haven't really experienced that on my A4 or 325xi.
I definitely haven't seen a lot of Jaguar dealerships...fewer than BMW and Audi.

What do you think the AWD will be like?
After Ford bought Jaguar they went on a reliability mission. Cars are pretty much daily drivers. The XE is a new model so no history but their AWD has been used on other models. I would look at it and do a comparison that's all. I would also compare the Lexus IS250 or IS350 AWD. I hear they don't burn oil.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
After Ford bought Jaguar they went on a reliability mission. Cars are pretty much daily drivers. The XE is a new model so no history but their AWD has been used on other models. I would look at it and do a comparison that's all. I would also compare the Lexus IS250 or IS350 AWD. I hear they don't burn oil.
In 2008 Ford sold Jaguar to Tata Motors of India. I haven't seen any statistics on reliability since then.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Diogenes
In 2008 Ford sold Jaguar to Tata Motors of India. I haven't seen any statistics on reliability since then.
Yep I've got an indian XKR in my garage.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Cat Herder

turbo breaking won't destroy the engine...get a K04, a HFC and a matching tune when the stock turbo gives up the ghost...
Old 01-22-2016, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

After 13 VW's and 2 Audi A4's, I bought a Buick Regal Turbo which, in my opinion, is a far superior vehicle. Although mine is FWD, they do come in AWD and in tests it blew the A4 off the track in terms of handling and traction. This design was the 2009 European Car of the Year. Test drive one - you might be very surprised as I was.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pierreb
turbo breaking won't destroy the engine...get a K04, a HFC and a matching tune when the stock turbo gives up the ghost...
That's...what.. $5000? Replacing the K03 by itself at the dealer was $2500.

I don't like the center console of the Buick Regal. The rest of it looks decent. I am a fan of the new Ford Taurus. I rented it a lot last year. It's a solid highway cruiser.

Last edited by Macallan21; 01-22-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ports
My car's getting on in years and miles.
I've been thinking about some replacements, especially if my turbo ends up breaking and destroys the engine. I have the boost leak and the shaft is worn where the support is so it rattles.

I went from a 2003 325xi to the 09 A4 2.0T. It was a nice bump in power, and both were fun to drive.

I'm not so sure about getting a B8.5 A4. I'd rather get a B9, if it's a nice generational jump with the all digital speedo/tach display, etc.

The A3 is garbage. The whole interior feels and looks like a cheap rental car, except it's still $49,000 sitting on a dealers lot.

The Subaru Legacy is decent, but the nav/bt system is terrible, and they don't have Android Auto yet.

What do you guys think is a comparably driving car?
I'm considering getting a 2017 A4. However, I priced one online, and with the options I want it would retail in the high 40ks. I'm not sure I want to spend that much on an A4.

But I live in the snowbelt and have to have AWD. And I would prefer a German car -- I wouldn't even consider a Subaru, or most other Japanese cars for that matter.

I won't buy used, so i don't know what I'm going to do.

Quick Reply: New cars...what's are you guys considering?