A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

need new tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need new tire advice

I am not sure if I am on my original tires (not the original owner), I have a 2009 A4 Prestige. Currently I have Pirellis all around, 245/40-18.

One tire has a few leaks and I was told it can't be fixed and so they wanted to replace all 4 with a different tire . I think I still have some life left in the tires, have to check tomorrow. I have 38k miles and I know the previous owner had winter tires put on for half the year so if they are original , would have about 25k miles on them.

I am wondering if I should just replace the one tire if I get the same one to match the others, or just replace both rears, or all 4?

Do you recommend a particular all-season tire? Audi Dealer recommended Continental Extreme Contact DWS ~ $200 each (including their road hazard warranty) + labor.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have Pirelli P7s those came with the sports package. They are summer tires not suitable for winter driving. If you have P6s those are OEM all-seasons that are poorly rated. The DWS have very good grip like a snow tire but don't have the soft rubber ice stickiness of winter tires. I have them on our 2007 A4. They are an all-season that is almost a snow tire. Tire rack has excellent rating comparison reports.

Last edited by Barrels41; 07-29-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the quattro drive system if you have one bad tire, you have four bad tires. The nature of Torsen drive components require that all four tires be very close in circumfrence. Audi specifies not more than 1/8 inch difference between all tires. Tires with tens of thousands of miles will not play nice with a new tire. quattro also does not apreciate different tires on any wheel. They should all be from the same maker and the same type. You need a matched set. No one goes racing with Yokos on the front and Goodyears on the rear.

A lot of people say that the Continental DWS is a very good tire, and they are reasonably priced.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by topaz99
I am not sure if I am on my original tires (not the original owner), I have a 2009 A4 Prestige. Currently I have Pirellis all around, 245/40-18.

One tire has a few leaks and I was told it can't be fixed and so they wanted to replace all 4 with a different tire . I think I still have some life left in the tires, have to check tomorrow. I have 38k miles and I know the previous owner had winter tires put on for half the year so if they are original , would have about 25k miles on them.

I am wondering if I should just replace the one tire if I get the same one to match the others, or just replace both rears, or all 4?

Do you recommend a particular all-season tire? Audi Dealer recommended Continental Extreme Contact DWS ~ $200 each (including their road hazard warranty) + labor.
I have Michelin Super Sports 255/35 ZR19'" on my A4 with Sports suspension. They replaced Pirelli P Zero Rosso which effectively lived for only 36,00km (about 21,000 miles). The Michelins have now run for 20,000km( 12,000 miles), have still heaps of tread left and stick like glue in wet and dry. Quiet running as well. Very expensive in Australia at about $800 per wheel.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 AM
47D
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the Continental DWSs on my A4. I also ran them on my 330xi and my wife's MINI. It's a good tire for the money. Much better than the Khumo ASX and very similar to the Bridgestone Potenza Poleposition. $200 each plus labor is also a pretty good price: Tirerack.com is selling your size for $192 each (plus shipping) and you would still have to pay to get them installed.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

I also have 2009 A4 Prestige. Just swapped original Pirellis for Continental DWS. Finally my ride is completely vibration-free - same was reported by others on the forum. Pirellis lasted about 40K miles and probably had another 10 left but shaking was getting progressively worse and I was in no mood for another $220 road force balance at the dealer (I had a couple of them with 3 tires that failed to balance altogether).

I got mine from Discount Tire Direct; they were $171 each with free shipping. That's about $90 less shipped total than TireRack. Ordered on Friday, got them on Monday. Installation was $70 at an independent local shop.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had the vibration issue on my 09 (see https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...0#post24329810 ) and just got rid of the Pirelli P6 tires (I will never buy a Pirelli product or a car with Pirellis on it again in my life). We went with Michelins and the car drives fantastically.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am another big time fan of the Continental Extreme contact DWS! In my opinion the best all season tire available for the money. And yes, unfortunately, with the amount of miles you have on your current tires you will need to replace all 4.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got DWS's too and I am having terrible vibration issues with them on my '11 P+. Of course maybe it's because most morons that work at NJ Audi dealerships cant seem to be able to do a decent road force balance... But I never had issues on the pirellis.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installation is about $20/tire at your local tire guy.

The Continental DWS are great. I bought them last year from Discount Tire Direct for $146/each and free shipping.

I skip the road hazard warranty, I've never found it helpful.

Quick Reply: need new tire advice