A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Is Nav Package worth it or not?...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Yes for all the reasons the yay sayers have responded. . .

. . .the cost is another issue. You are paying for effectivity and some efficiency that an aftermarket can't (currently) deliver. The backup camera and park sensors have to be valued and subtracted if you are really trying to perform an ROI.

The camera is great, the voice control of the radio, telephone, cd, directory and nav are very useful, too.

It is a package -- a system, it is in terms of the cost to make it, probably a higher margin item for Audi -- but the total package justifies the price.

I use my "nav system" several times per week, I use the backup camera several times per day and the voice command I use every time I am in the car.

This is a very slick piece of integration and it is oh so purty as it is perfectly integrated into the dash. The ergonomics of the whole thing are awesome and it is exactly like the system in the A6, Q7, A8, etc. It is very nice.

Debate away the functionality of the TomTom system, all you will. The TomTom will probably win out -- but as a system, the TomTom is not as convenient.

That too has a $ value.

I wouldn't go without one.

Drive it like YOU live.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I suppose another thing to consider would be...

... how much she liked to do things in your car other than just driving.

(I'm using my Dragon voice recognition dictation program, so the previous sentence was supposed to say, "how much you like to do things in your car other than driving." Somehow I think I like the first version better!)

I'm talking about things such as talking on the phone, selecting music, looking up addresses, etc. All of those activities are distractions, so it's arguable whether or not you should even be doing those in the first place. Having the high-tech MMI just encourages doing those things, but you have to admit the entire system is pretty cool. If I had the voice-activated Bluetooth system I think I would be more likely to take phone calls while driving. As it is, now I simply let my voice mail on my cell phone take the call, and I address it later.

I suppose if you're somebody who has to talk on the phone while you're driving a lot, say for business, then it would be pretty handy. I suppose also if you need to use the navigation a lot, say for business, then it would also be very handy to have it integrated.

If you would buy it just for the gee-whiz factor than it's probably not worth the money. Like I said before, if a car I was interested in already had the navigation unit I would buy it just because it's cool.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOTE: Sensors and Voice command come on none NAV.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default See below, again, NAV is NOT required for voice command...

You get voice command, just don't have it for the NAV but still have it for phone, stereo, etc...
Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, I did not know that. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default But I have Prestige so that may be why (Bluetooth)

it came with voice for phone, etc.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes Bluetooth is an add on at lower trim levels.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a handheld like Garmin and pocket the difference.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Even the 3G MMI won't be worth it.

Don't get me wrong. The system on my Q5 Demo this week is excellent. Much much better than any portable Nav I have seen.

But the price is just pure fantasy. I couldn't justify it.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

But you can watch DVDs on it!! ;-)

Quick Reply: Is Nav Package worth it or not?...