A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

My 2011 Avant...1000 mile report

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2011 Avant...1000 mile report

This is my fourth A4...my first was the first year (either 96 or 95, can't recall) 2.8 quattro stick, second 2002 1.8T quattro stick, third 2008 convertible, 2.0 cvt...all previous were silver/black.

My A4 is fairly stripped down, just premium with bluetooth/ipod/heated seats. Meteor grey/grey interior.

Comments:

1. The car feels great and zippy compared to my other models. Handling is MUCH better, though turning radius seems worse (is it?). Interior much bigger and more refined. Without a doubt the best A4 yet...glad I got this over the 328xi.

2. It's not an Audi unless you have QUATTRO. I realized this after suffering for three years with a CVT tranny...the torque steer, lack of "solid" feel make me realize that I will NEVER buy another non-quattro Audi. Here in LA I see loaded (premium plus, NAV, custom wheels etc..) non-quattro A4's...baffles me completely.

3. The driver side front door seems to rattle over bumps...am I imagining this? I usually play music, so I don't notice, but when I do, it's a little irritating. This a common problem?

4. The standard audio system (as I mentioned in another post) is really weak. Just to torture myself, I sat in a A4 with the Bose system the other day in a dealership - night and day, IMO, especially if you like music.

5. The gas mileage around town is awful...nearly as bad as my gas guzzling E350 I traded in. Wish they would sell this car with a TDI in this country, like the jetta sportwagon which I considered (however, it leases for about the same payment, despite being 10k cheaper!)

6. Panoramic roof great.

7. MMI controls a little confusing...not for music as much for climate control. I'm used to it, for the most part, but wifey is a little perplexed still.

8. Wish rear windows would roll all the way down...well, my daughter does as I've never actually sat in back!

9. Just put keyless entry/start in all Audi's! If it's on my 25K prius, Audi can do it as well.

10. Weird speedometer...60 mph is at nine o'clock, and the numbers are too compressed - especially since we don't have an autobahn here in the USA! I was told it makes it look more sporting to start at 6:00 postion, however, I've yet to see the speedometer hit the 11:00 oclock position...also, difficult to keep under 35 as it's so compressed (they love giving speeding tickets on surface streets in Beverly Hills/West LA.)

Really enjoying the car so far, despite minor complaints/quirks.

Too bad they won't sell the A6 TDI wagon in this country
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One more thing...really glad I did not end up getting sport package.

I wanted it mostly due to nice steering wheel/seats, but living in LA with all the bumps and potholes, I'm thrilled not to have low profile tires with big rims. Also makes for a more comfortable ride.

Last year alone, I shelled out over $1000 for two flats and a bent rim on my MB from potholes alone!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

You are a braver man than I, parking next to an abandoned shopping cart. New cars are magnets for those diabolical things!
Thanks for your report. I agree with you completely about Audi and quattro. After also owning a CVT cabriolet, I will never own another Audi without quattro. You might also find your city gas mileage improving over time. Mine seems to be getting better with my 2011 A4, with around 4K miles now.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your review sounds right on. Only real complaint I have about my Avant is the in town / short trip gas mileage.

I just hit 10,000 miles and I doubt it'll ever get any better.

Long trips are pretty stellar, though, and I get 30-31 mpg setting the cruise in the low 70's. It's just not my normal driving to do long highway trips.

But on the flip side for me, I'm glad I got the 19 inch sport package. I love the sport seats and the ride quality on my car is still quite good. It rides better than my old A6 that I had with the sport suspension. Lots of bumpy roads and potholes where I live, too.

Last edited by jperryrocks; 07-21-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

MPG picked up significantly for me around 15k miles.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice, meteors w/ gray interiors seem to be pretty rare. Nice choice

You're right; turning radius is worse than previous models. My brother's B7 avant definitely has better turning radius than my B8.

I've seen reports of the door rattling in a few B8s (A5s included), and the issue seems to be due to the cable for the power window control rattling against metal inside the door panel. Here's the fix: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-top...-resolved.html

My gas mileage improved after my engine was broken in at around 10k miles.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With you on the FWD. I bought my A4 almost on a lark while shopping for a TDI Golf and really didn't know much about Quattro or Audi heritage in general.

After 10 years of driving RWD cars, the torque steer really bums me out. Everytime you drop into S and give it gas you better have both hands firmly at 10&2. I've said before, this car has too much motor for FWD.

My wife is still baffled by all the controls. They're not readily intuitive. But I personally love playing with buttons so I'm happy.