A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Looking for Forged one piece wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Forged one piece wheels

Hey guys,

Looking for some input on a set of wheels. I always change the wheels on my cars and an am a big believer in the benefits of reductions in unsprung weight. On prior cars I have had BBS CH, BBS LM and Vorsteiner V105 monoblocks.

My preferences are:
18" (for ride quality)
Forged
One Piece/monoblock
Light weight

Right now I am considering the BBS RE

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

I also really like the Nuespeed RS10

http://www.supremepowerparts.com/0/3..._category.html

These forged wheels are only 17.9 lbs which would be fantastic but they are not listed as being available for my car. I'm wondering is their is a center bore or centering ring that would allow them to work on my car.

Overall not seeing as many options as I had hoped. Did Audi change the wheel spec from the B7 to the B8?

Would appreciate any suggestions. Picking wheels drives me nuts. The right wheels totally make the car, the wrong ones make the car look cheap.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Neuspeed wheels would not be able to use a centering ring... The would need to be machined to the larger bore of the B8. Not something I'd be willing to risk but some people do it...not necessarily with the wheels in question but it has been done for the B8 with other wheels.

Offhand, HRE and ADV also have excellent Monoblocks. Not sure if they have 18's.

The weight savings of an 18 vs 19 inch forged wheel is significant and tangible. Few people want to spend 3-6k on a set of wheels for a car that costs less than 45k so it's tough to get manufacturers interested in producing them for B8's. Much easier for them to produce 3 piece wheels that can easily be configured for that small customer base.

There are economic/performance benefits to a 3-piece wheel that eclipse the minor weight savings of a forged monoblock though. 3-piece wheels were designed/engineered for race applications where the modularity was important. They typically incorporate a forged center with softer spun rim halves. This allows the rim halves to act as energy absorbing devices in the event of an impact. The rim halves can fold absorbing energy that would otherwise be transferred into more expensive suspension components.

Anyways, best of luck with your search.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mhs525
Did Audi change the wheel spec from the B7 to the B8?
B7 centerbore = 57.1 mm
B8 centerbore = 66.56 mm