A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Insurance paid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance paid?

Hi, I just moved in to the country, ordered a A4 2.0T quattro 2010 Prestige. I'm getting a little chocked over the insurance quotes I'm getting, so wanted to doublecheck with you what a typical rate for a car like this would be. Thanks for any input you can give.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know what country you are coming from, but insurance in the US might be a bit more expensive then elsewhere, particularly in crowded states (NJ,NY,MA,CA). They may be hitting you with a higher premium due to not having any sort of insurance history, or even not having any credit history (credit history is a factor used by a lot of insurance companies here). Companies here only have access to US and maybe Canadian databases.

One thing you can try is getting proof of coverage from your previous auto insurer in your home country, in English if possible. Proof of a clean driving record also helps a lot too. If you can successfully prove that you have been insured continuously for 3-5 years, whatever carrier you choose will likely adjust their rates downwards. Before going through all the trouble, call them and find out the procedure for submitting past proof of insurance from a foreign country.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to estimate, it depends on your age, length of license (auto), coverage amount, location in the states, any outstanding blemishing on your license.

With that being said. I just called this morning to get a quote from my current insurer.

$1198 annual premium, 100k/300k full coverage.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm originally from Scandinavia, have a clean driving record an all that. Over 40 years of age. I'm getting quotes like 120-140 $/month with 100k/300k full coverage. Currently of all called only Liberty Mutual agreed to look into my past driving history. For the rest of them, Geigos, State farm etc. I was basically issued a drivers license yesterday....

Another problem I have is that I don't have any other insurances since my company pays for rent etc.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You're a new driver to the USA? If you have no prior insurance coverage in the USA it is typical to pay a higher insurance premium. Honestly that's pretty reasonable. I was expecting $200+ a month. It will go down with time.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hankoman
I'm originally from Scandinavia, have a clean driving record an all that. Over 40 years of age. I'm getting quotes like 120-140 $/month with 100k/300k full coverage. Currently of all called only Liberty Mutual agreed to look into my past driving history. For the rest of them, Geigos, State farm etc. I was basically issued a drivers license yesterday....

Another problem I have is that I don't have any other insurances since my company pays for rent etc.
With no driving history... I think the Liberty Mutual quote of avg. $130/month is absolutely fine! Its in the right ball park... but do your due diligence and give the other two companies a call. $1500 a year seems about right.

Which US state are you in?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

i am an insurance agent in Florida, i did a quote for me and its about 91.00 a month or 437.00 every six months paid in full. i got a quote from gmac that was $2.00 less every six months.

you might be calling the wrong companies for you. most insurance companies will give you a renewal discount after 6 months, that will make a difference between 20% to 40% on the next 6 months ( ask when you call and get both rate with or without ). once you have a lic in the states for at least 3 years that will help reduce your premium too, ask when you call if getting a copy of your driving record will help, that way they can verify your driving history.

most insurance companies use credit to determine the rate too, it might just take you a little while before you get the lowest absolute rate, i hope this info helps.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iflywoe
i am an insurance agent in Florida, i did a quote for me and its about 91.00 a month or 437.00 every six months paid in full. i got a quote from gmac that was $2.00 less every six months.
Yeah, but excepting Miami insurance is cheap in Fla. The geezers really draw down the overall rates.

It really depends on where the OP resides, and he doesn't say. Insurance up here in NJ is the most expensive in the country. Insurance in rural Nebraska will cost considerably less.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

where you live have a lot to do with it! too, rates in miami are about 3 times what they are here in orlando!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbes
Yeah, but excepting Miami insurance is cheap in Fla. The geezers really draw down the overall rates.

It really depends on where the OP resides, and he doesn't say. Insurance up here in NJ is the most expensive in the country. Insurance in rural Nebraska will cost considerably less.
Not always.... I somehow only pay $94/mo for the A4 and its far from bare bones coverage. Chump change considering I have an at-fault accident on my record. It also helps that the A4 is dirt cheap to insure compared to other new cars.

To the OP, you might want to deal with an insurance agent this first time around. They will be more willing to deal with the insurance companies when it comes to proof of prior insurance and driving history.

Quick Reply: Insurance paid?