A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

If you are a car sales person or planning to be, please read this

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but one other thing I want to get off my chest. When I call your dealership to inquire about your pre-owned inventory, don't sound bored or annoyed. It drives me nuts to talk to a salesmen who sounds irritated that I am asking probing questions. I talked to a real sharp salesmen at Brumos Porsche - I asked what Boxsters they had in stock and he said none at the moment. And then hung up on me when I asked if they had any pending trades coming in. This moron has no idea who I am or what I'm shopping for - maybe I'm looking for a CPO Boxster for my wife and a brand new GT2 for myself? With his attitude I would find his sworn enemy at work and buy the effing cars from him instead.

Don't mean to be a jerk but salesmen have to learn a little humility. They no longer hold all of the cards so we the auto buying public now have some of the knowledge and control which they historically always had and controled. I realize the commission they make is probably pretty small and the more cars they sell the better. However, if you treat me well, bend over backwards for me and cut the crap, I'm goign to tell everyone what a great salesmen you were and seriously recommend you.

If you jerk me around, sound bored and annoyed and waste my time, I just might create a website to flame you. Selling cars is not rocket science nor is providing a great customer experience. I would kill to steal or buy my local Porsche and Audi dealerships. They flatly suck in each and every measurable way. If the owner of Steve Smith Audi or Porsche of Greenville is on this board I would love to know. Man up and PM me - I'll buy dinner at Sassafrass if you'll meet me for constructive advice.

I think the key to both selling these vehicles and providing an outstanding customer experience is this:

Don't hire these idiot middle management, former insuranace salesmen types. I don't want to buy a $40K+ car from a guy who was recently the district manager for Chic-Fil-A. Instead hire brand geeks - you know those people who can name every Audi VIN since the good ol'Auto Union days or the kinda of person who as a child painted their bedroom Arena Red.

These cars sell themselves really - The majority of us know what we want and why we must have it. We only need these people for the paper really. So if you own a Porsche or Audi dealership, why hire salestrash who are totally rude and inept? I want a salesmen who understands not only my desires and needs but also the culture and demographic of those buying Audis and Porsches.

Finally, I hate to say this because it sounds really snobbish etc and I'm really not. I realize how incredibly blessed I am to have a good job right now. BUT.....just because I show up to your holy dealership in jeans, flip-flops and a t=shirt, don't assume I'm only window dream shopping, not serious or have crappy credit. The old days of checking out a guy's shoes to tell how much money he makes are over. Turn in your Glen Garry Glen Ross membership card and realize most people with money, don't show it.

Ok that's it for my rant. And by the way, I hate proof reading posts.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had some of the worst experiences with various salesman over the years knowing absolutely nothing about the vehicles that they are selling. Most have no concept of being a real salesman either and apply the pressure with no professionalism whatsoever.

That being said, I recently had a wonderful experience with the Audi dealership we recently bought our new car. The salesman was extremely professional with absolutely no pressure applied whatsoever (he didn't ask to talk numbers until I mentioned I was interested in discussing where we could meet numbers wise). When I finally gave him a number that I would be willing to buy the car at...he didn't just match it, but he came in $100 lower. Now I realize that $100 is a ridiculously small amount when talking about a ~$40K vehicle, but I still felt that was a classy move on his part.

On top of acting professional, my salesman was also exceptionally knowledgeable regarding the car. I'm a car nut and there is little I don't know about cars that I'm not even remotely interested in. For the cars that I am interested in...I'm very well versed in all the features, oddities, performance figures, etc of the vehicle. To my great surprise, this guy was right in step. He even pointed out little details that I would have overlooked. On the first night we visited, he drew us a map of a nice long 20 minute drive that had a good mixture of roads to really test the handling. After explaining to him that we had a few other car makes/models we wanted to test drive before settling on an Audi, he inquired which brands we were cross shopping. He then suggested that we could come back on a later night and he'd have similarly spec'd cars from each brand/model for us to test drive along with the Audi. We showed back up that Friday night and we were able to walk in and out of each car and fully compare and test drive the cars (these cars were from sister dealerships that he arranged to be brought in).

To finish off my praise of the salesman, you could really tell that he loved the vehicles that he was selling...that he was a true believer in Audi cars and their attributes. He would have been happy to sell us any one of the cars he had brought in for us to test drive...but in the end he was always selling the Audi in his subtle way which only enhanced the perception of confidence he had in the Audi.

In the end, we walked away with an Audi and haven't regretted it one bit. To be honest, it was Audi's business to lose as I've always been a huge fan of their cars...but this salesman's efforts an zeal definitely sealed the deal for the wife and I. If he is still selling cars the next time I'm in the market...I'll gladly fly back to St. Louis from wherever I live to buy another car from him.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default my point exactly :>)

Ha ha, your post just sound like my experience this past Saturday. I went to get an oil change for my wify CRV at DCH honda around Long Branch (which by they way, treat us like royalty, not like those Audi dealers). Anyways, I stopped by the Audi/Porshe of long branch to inquiry about the A6 or an A4. They must be selling 100 cars a day. First off, they only had one used, yes used 2009 A6...that's it! The salesperson was very very nice, but show not one ounce of effort in trying to get me as a client (hey I am a lead for those of you sales people reading this). Yes, I am just inquiring, but for the life of me, ask me for my name and number and tell me "well, what exactly are you looking for, if I build the car you want, this will be the monthly pmt, etc etc)"

I am telling you guys, Audi will kick anybody's *** in sales (as they have beautiful cars) if they hired hungry, knowledgeable sales force. But, someone here said it best, its never going to change, so I am done ranting.Its a battle that can never be won.

I will just follow the advice and blast emails to as many dealers, and see if they show any interest. And if by any change any of you have had a great experience with any sales person in Central NJ or NYC, feel free to let me know. I have zero luck dealing with these "zero emotions" sales associates. By the way, the same apply to BMW or Acura (please do not stone me to death), if you know of an specific dealer or salesperson, let me know. I GIVE UP.

And last, not to sound political or change the topic, if the goverment ever, ever bail out another car manufacturer, I will move to Angola. These people do not deserve anything at all. They dont give a damm (in general with very few exceptions) about customer service or customer loyalty. Even in these market conditions they still treat potential customers like we are not paying for our cars.....AHHHHH there, I feel better. Now lets keep hunting for my wheels

Originally Posted by sapsecurity01
Sorry but one other thing I want to get off my chest. When I call your dealership to inquire about your pre-owned inventory, don't sound bored or annoyed. It drives me nuts to talk to a salesmen who sounds irritated that I am asking probing questions. I talked to a real sharp salesmen at Brumos Porsche - I asked what Boxsters they had in stock and he said none at the moment. And then hung up on me when I asked if they had any pending trades coming in. This moron has no idea who I am or what I'm shopping for - maybe I'm looking for a CPO Boxster for my wife and a brand new GT2 for myself? With his attitude I would find his sworn enemy at work and buy the effing cars from him instead.

Don't mean to be a jerk but salesmen have to learn a little humility. They no longer hold all of the cards so we the auto buying public now have some of the knowledge and control which they historically always had and controled. I realize the commission they make is probably pretty small and the more cars they sell the better. However, if you treat me well, bend over backwards for me and cut the crap, I'm goign to tell everyone what a great salesmen you were and seriously recommend you.

If you jerk me around, sound bored and annoyed and waste my time, I just might create a website to flame you. Selling cars is not rocket science nor is providing a great customer experience. I would kill to steal or buy my local Porsche and Audi dealerships. They flatly suck in each and every measurable way. If the owner of Steve Smith Audi or Porsche of Greenville is on this board I would love to know. Man up and PM me - I'll buy dinner at Sassafrass if you'll meet me for constructive advice.

I think the key to both selling these vehicles and providing an outstanding customer experience is this:

Don't hire these idiot middle management, former insuranace salesmen types. I don't want to buy a $40K+ car from a guy who was recently the district manager for Chic-Fil-A. Instead hire brand geeks - you know those people who can name every Audi VIN since the good ol'Auto Union days or the kinda of person who as a child painted their bedroom Arena Red.

These cars sell themselves really - The majority of us know what we want and why we must have it. We only need these people for the paper really. So if you own a Porsche or Audi dealership, why hire salestrash who are totally rude and inept? I want a salesmen who understands not only my desires and needs but also the culture and demographic of those buying Audis and Porsches.

Finally, I hate to say this because it sounds really snobbish etc and I'm really not. I realize how incredibly blessed I am to have a good job right now. BUT.....just because I show up to your holy dealership in jeans, flip-flops and a t=shirt, don't assume I'm only window dream shopping, not serious or have crappy credit. The old days of checking out a guy's shoes to tell how much money he makes are over. Turn in your Glen Garry Glen Ross membership card and realize most people with money, don't show it.

Ok that's it for my rant. And by the way, I hate proof reading posts.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"If I contact you via the internet it means we are doing business over the 'net. Don't tell me I can't get a good deal unless I come into the dealership."

Let me ask--it sounds so simple--what makes this so GD complicated? Prior to buying the A4 I stopped in at a Cadillac dealership to look at the AWD CTS. A more stereotypical Cadillac salesman you would never find. Looked and sounded like John Gotti, offered no information whatsoever, wouldn't even state a ballpark price. So I went to the internet, and in response to my request for a quote on a very specific car got back not less than nine eMails from my local dealer, none of which contained a price of any kind. I finally had to eMail them back and request that they stop harrassing me. I might have actually bought the car at the time (they were giving them away), but after this experience I crossed it off the list.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How I Would Sell a Car.

First, I would honestly study the history of the manufacturer - who started the company, why it was started and what the company's mission statement or branding was/is.

Once I fully understood the history of the brand and understood the brand equity, I would study the individual models. What makes them different mechanically and aestheticaly? Have any of the models participated in and won and significant races over years? What materials are used to manufacture the engine, suspension and body components? I would learn why these differences are significant, how they improve safety, reliability, performance resale etc. Now I'm starting to get an idea of what I am selling! I certainly wouldn't stop now.

So far I know who started the company, when and where. I know the history and race history of the models and can quote a few race statistics. I understand the brand's equity, the USP and how the history, race heritage and materials all contribute the perception of the brand.

From this information I could start to create a profile of potential buyers (demographics). This would help me communicate with potential buyers because I would first, understand what they are looking for in a car. I would have a better understanding of their needs and desires. I would have positioned myself to meet their needs by being able to intelligently show and help them understand how my brand meets their needs. I don't have to sell them the car - but communicate to them how the car will satisfy their need for speed, power, prestige, safety, reliablity, resale whatever.....

Pretty simple stuff to me. Let's be honest too, if we are talking about selling sport, luxury or exotic cars, only a certain small percentage of the population is either interested or can afford these cars. As a salesmen part of my job would be understanding how to communicate with them.

Part of knowing how to sell a brand has nothing to do with the car but with knowing who your customer is. I doubt anyone who can only afford a Kia is going to window shop for a Porsche or Lotus. So, if you happen to sell these cars, anyone on the lot IS a true potential customer! I bet 99% of Kia buyers could barely tell you what a Porsche is, why it is significant etc. They generally aren't in the demographic which purchases these.

Based on that rationale, if I'm a smart salesmen who would like to earn enough to make a living, I'm not buring any bridges on the lot. I think it is safe to say this holds true for not only Porsche but Audi, BMW, Lotus, Acura, Lexus etc. These types of cars are NOT aspirational models!! They are reward models.

An aspirational car would be a Nissan Maxima or the ugly freakin' Toyota Camry with the faux race ground effects. An absolute POS by the way. So...for someone who is aspiring to a "better" car, they will buy a Corolla in the hopes someday, they can afford that God ugly Camry.

To sum this up:

Know what you are selling.
Know what it "solves".
Know who you are selling to.
Know how to communicate with them intelligently.

Geez....I did get something from my marketing degree!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me throw in, just to play devil's advocate, that most car salesmen will tell you "how would you like to be dicked around by 90% of customers who come in and say they want to buy a car, then you spend an hour or two with them, and they walk away saying I'm going to shop around?" They find the same car one city over and buy it for $100 less. This happens day in and day out. A car salesman has to bend over backwards only to have many walk away to save a few dollars. I'm not saying it's an excuse, but it is reality. I bring this up because I work in retail and there are two sides to every story and coin. Over the years, one becomes hardened, and the drive and desire to go above and beyond sometimes gets forgetton due to the saving a buck thing.
Having said this, I will state again, don't expect things to improve or change in this business. It is cut throat and always will be. Go in not expecting much and you'll come out okay if you've done your own homework. The internet is your friend.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Perfectly acceptable

I think it is funny the preception that most of you have on salesman. While the average car salesman works longer hours than you and works on full commission, you think it is wrong for them to make a few extra bucks. A few extra bucks that will come a long way when you are looking for help with friends, problems with your car, accessories ect. Your doctor, your jewler, your cable provider, your resturant, your bartender, your landscaper can charge you what they please (usually 200% mark up) and you wouldnt bat an eye. But the person that is providing you with one of the largest purchases you will ever make, gets dumped on for trying to make $100 dollars. This is a vehicle you are transporting your family in, wouldnt you want to know how to use it and the safety features and such that come with the car?

Nearly every single person that walks through the door wants the same thing- lowest price, best financing, ect... Last time I check I was a car salesman- not an incentive salesman. I will not lose a deal over price thats for sure, my job is to sell you a car-- not a rate. 9/10 you won't qualify for the lowest rate- thats the banks choice not mine. For years people that didnt deserve the great rates or even car loans got them- thats one of the reasons the economy is in the place it is.

There is a very easy way to get the best deal on a car-- and its not over the internet (I was the internet sales manager for 2 years before moving back onto the floor. I would get 200 emails a day for the same thing... If you blow out every car on first spot, how could a dealership even last). Pick out the dealership you want to buy from, pick out the car, and tell them what you want to pay. Every dealer has the exact same invoice. We call choose from the same cars, if I dont have it I'll try and get it for you. But be fair, if your offer is fair, you'll get the car, and maybe the dealership will make a few bucks to keep the doors open when you need to service your car. If you are asking the dealership to lose money, 9/10 its not going to happen. Last time I checked I have bills to pay like everyone else, god forbid I make $200 selling you $45,000 car.

That beimng said there is a learning curve in car sales. I sell 3 franchises. Porsche, Audi, VW-- that amounts to about 60 models in millions of configurations. I have forgotten more about these cars then most of you will ever know. Just a heads up, looks like most car makers are going to go to a gov't regulated no haggle pricing. So then you won't have to bitch about having to play the "game" anymore.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I definitely agree it is a game... and actually don't mind that aspect of trying to work the best price I can get. As I posted earlier...I had a wonderful experience with the salesman...and it really had nothing to do with the price I got (which I thought was fair...but nothing mind blowing). What I liked was how he treated me and how much he new about the car. I happily gave him my business for that reason.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by skot667
That beimng said there is a learning curve in car sales. I sell 3 franchises. Porsche, Audi, VW-- that amounts to about 60 models in millions of configurations. I have forgotten more about these cars then most of you will ever know. Just a heads up, looks like most car makers are going to go to a gov't regulated no haggle pricing. So then you won't have to bitch about having to play the "game" anymore.
I know salesmen aren't getting rich doing this. And I can understand they put up with a lot of BS customers wasting their time. I won't even fault you for not knowing if the premium plus package has auto dimming mirrors. I just ask, that if you are selling Audi's you've at least HEARD of the model I'm interested in.

BTW, I am a computer programmer and I have to memorize a hell of a lot more than the equivalent of 60 car models. This is your profession, it shouldn't be treated like a hobby.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a great experience with my salesman. He was a car guy, he knew the brand and the cars. He and I worked out a price that was both fair to him and I meaning he got paid and I got a good deal. Everyone was happy and I was well treated.

Went in to get service on the car and he was fired from the dealer. I guess he didn't meet their corporate image (some tats and piercings). Now all they have are the typical d-bag high salesman. No thanks.

Quick Reply: If you are a car sales person or planning to be, please read this