A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

I think we may already know...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think we may already know...

but here's an article from Edmunds confirming powertrains and est. price.<ul><li><a href="http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=125502">http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=125502</a</li></ul>
Old 04-08-2008, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Quick summary and opinion

"As expected, the A4 sedan will be available with both engines. The 3.2-liter V6 will come standard with Audi's new six-speed "fast-shifting" automatic transmission only, complete with steering-wheel paddle shifters. A six-speed manual will also be available on the 2.0T sedan, when equipped with the rear-biased Quattro all-wheel drive. A front-wheel-drive A4 2.0T will also be offered, and will come only with the "Multitronic" CVT, sans paddle shifters."

"The Avant wagon will only be offered one way: Quattro with the 2.0-liter four and six-speed auto with paddles"

It's not that Audi ignores Audiworld and other online forums, it's that they have detailed sales data that shows what sells and what doesn't. Based on that they see if it's worth it to bring in a special model combintaion based on sales and costs.

Yes, Audi has not spent nearly as much money as the competition in the US market. It would be great if Audi could significantly increase the resources available for the US, but the current situation is not favorable.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Quick summary and opinion

I think makers do tend to ignore blogs, and online forums (online feedback in general), particularly when it comes to styling e.g. the new Mazda 6 or Acura TSX. I think when it comes down to it; we are the minority who actually gives a F***, but ultimately still the minority - not the average buyer who knows jack and is much easier to please.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Default better luck in 2010 maybe..

still hoping for

- quattro
- avant
- 6MT
- TDI

give me all of them in one car and i'll buy it. The first three are strictly non-negotiable.

If audi won't give me another wagon with a stick, BMW 530xi, here I come.

(the 530xi is the 2006 model, which is now cost-competitive with a new A4 and has more interior room.. the 535xi gets the twin turbo six but is way spendier @ 55k new, base price)
Old 04-09-2008, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The irony is............

The most vocal and vehement online critics of AoA's marketing strategies, clamoring to get exactly what they want regardless of profitablilty, tend to be the folks who also make claims like "I'd NEVER pay a cent over invoice!"
Old 04-09-2008, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no 6mt on avant

--I might just get the sedan
Old 04-09-2008, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IMO everyone places too much importance on manuals, again just my opinion.

I mean if you love the avant, need the avant but it only comes in auto, is it really going to make you get a sedan?

Now if it is simply for looks and not for the extra space and you have to have manual then I can see it.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If I absolutely needed the space of an Avant...

...and they didn't offer a manual, I'd probably end up buying a BMW 328xi Touring instead. The transmission defines the character of the car to me.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It depends

my first allroad had a tip that suffered from the dreaded throttle lag that just ruined the whole experience. it was OK but not an involving satisfying drive. My current allroad has the tip with the 4.2 motor. No throttle tip in lag. I think the combination of the turbo motor and the tip was the problem. It wasnt turbo lag, but some weird electonic artificial hesitation. Now if I get a 2.0 T and it has the same tip throttle lag with turbo motor I will be bummed. If it is absent and its a nice responsive tip with steering wheel paddles then I'd bite. Anyone know what the "quick-shifting automatic" means. I know its not the DSG.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Even the DSG doesn't do it for me...

...I know it's faster and more efficient, but for some reason driving one I just don't get that same feeling. I know it makes no sense!

Quick Reply: I think we may already know...