A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Tyre Pressures - weird recommendation in manual

Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tyre Pressures - weird recommendation in manual

In the owners manual is says :

"The tyre pressure must be adjusted according to the load the vehicle is carrying. We recommend adhering to the tyre pressure specifications for a maximum load. The tyre inflation pressures are listed on a sticker on the end face of the driver's door Fig. 1.
However, if you prefer an extra-smooth ride and the vehicle is not fully loaded, you can select the tyre pressure for a normal load (no more than three people travelling in the vehicle). However, should you wish to drive with a full load you must increase the tyre pressure to the specified maximum."

So they're recommending the harder pressure regardless of whether you're loaded or not.

I've never heard of this before. What are your thoughts? My guy instinct is that this is the same as running over inflated tyres but they say it's not.

I'm puzzled
Old 09-22-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
In the owners manual is says :
So they're recommending the harder pressure regardless of whether you're loaded or not.

I've never heard of this before. What are your thoughts? My guy instinct is that this is the same as running over inflated tyres but they say it's not.

I'm puzzled
What a coincidence that I just posted about tire pressures in the "Vibrations thread" [link to post].

I think they are simply trying to protect themselves against liability. AFAIK, new cars in the U.S. now come with a single pressure recommendation because our government thinks some drivers are just too stupid to be trusted with the proper selection. This happened after the Ford Explorer low tire pressure fiasco you may have heard about.

If I drove my Passat with the full load and over 100+ mph tire recommendation, the tires would feel grossly over-inflated and the ride would be ridiculously punishing. I know because I once loaded about 900lbs worth of tiles in the trunk and had to inflate the tires to the maximum recommended pressure. After unloading the tiles, the over-inflation was quite evident.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by av_audi
<snip>
AFAIK, new cars in the U.S. now come with a single pressure recommendation because our government thinks some drivers are just too stupid to be trusted with the proper selection. <snip>
My '09 users manual has "full load" and "normal load condition" inflation pressures, so there isn't a single pressure.

Now as to whether or not some drivers are too stupid.......

Scottyuk : The '09 US manual does not have such a statement -- the closest thing I see is :

"If you wish to improve comfort when operating the vehicle at normal load (up to 3 occupants) you can adjust the tire pressure to those specified for the normal vehicle load. Before operating the vehicle at maximum load, you must increase the tire pressure to those specified for maximum vehicle load"
Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by need_TQM
My '09 users manual has "full load" and "normal load condition" inflation pressures, so there isn't a single pressure.
I am not quite sure, but I think the single pressure recommendation might have been only for the door jam sticker. If you get a chance, can you take a look at it?

I do remember vividly all the hoopla about this roughly four years ago. Perhaps not being a sizzling issue anymore, VW/Audi feels safe in circumventing the rule a little. Again, it would be great if you could report the door jam sticker pressure.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
I am not quite sure, but I think the single pressure recommendation might have been only for the door jam sticker. If you get a chance, can you take a look at it?

I do remember vividly all the hoopla about this roughly four years ago. Perhaps not being a sizzling issue anymore, VW/Audi feels safe in circumventing the rule a little. Again, it would be great if you could report the door jam sticker pressure.
The door sticker does have just the maximum load condition pressures -- For the 18" sport 2.0T the "normal" load condition is 1 psi lower front / 6 psi lower rear.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Many thanks for the info.

Maybe they thought that those who actually bother taking a look at the manual will be likely to pay enough attention to understand the extra info correctly
Old 09-22-2009, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My thinking is that the single pressure is to milk the highest mileage out of the car to meet CAFE.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default tire pressures

The door sticker does have just the maximum load condition pressures -- For the 18" sport 2.0T the "normal" load condition is 1 psi lower front / 6 psi lower rear.
my '09 20t s-line shows 38psi front, 42psi rear. what are you guys running with this tire,suspension combo?
don
Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Scottyuk : The '09 US manual does not have such a statement -- the closest thing I see is :

"If you wish to improve comfort when operating the vehicle at normal load (up to 3 occupants) you can adjust the tire pressure to those specified for the normal vehicle load. Before operating the vehicle at maximum load, you must increase the tire pressure to those specified for maximum vehicle load"
That's similar to the UK comment. What does your manual say just before this?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dpcompt
my '09 20t s-line shows 38psi front, 42psi rear. what are you guys running with this tire,suspension combo?
don
Wow! That is so much higher than what need_QTM reported. Is it because you have 19" wheels?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tyre Pressures - weird recommendation in manual