A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How long do you warm your car up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally don't wait at all. The M is VERY jerky if you don't wait until it gets past the high rev at startup. On any other car I've owned, I just start and drive.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
And if you held it in 1st and drove everywhere at 7500rpm it would warm up even quicker
Just tried that out, there was a loss of power after 1/2 miles so I turned round and started home, found this lying in the road so now I have to spend all evening working out how to put it back in the motor......

Old 01-01-2011, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Crucible35
As many expressed on Audizine, I wait for the RPMs to drop down from 1300 to 800 or about 30 seconds and then I drive off slowly. The other thing I do is I always shut everything off (radio, climate control or any accessories) before I turn off the car on the last trip. That way, when you start the vehicle again, you're not over taxing the battery. This could be just an OCD thing, but in all my cars over the years, I have never replaced a battery or had any electrical issues and I normally own cars for 8-10 years and 250K plus kilometers.
OCD or not; I like your suggestion of minimizing the demand on the electrical system on start up- thanks for the suggestion.

Generally I do NOT warm up the engine before driving off. As previously posted, if there is ice on the windshield and I cannot scrape it off, then I will run the engine to break up the ice on the windshield.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Zafi
Just tried that out, there was a loss of power after 1/2 miles so I turned round and started home, found this lying in the road so now I have to spend all evening working out how to put it back in the motor......

Too funny!!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

20 to 30 seconds. Unless, you have to defrost the windshield before driving. I remember watching a show and an auto engineer was ask about this.

About waiting for oil to warm-up, I belive if there is oil pressure(no engine light), you are good. Engine oil helps in cooling the engine too so it shouldn't be very hot. Remember, Oil additives thickens oil (like cold oil) and it works.

I did some experiments on my own and I get more oil flow in the rings when engine was idling. While Idling, the pistons where moving slower and seems more oil in the rings.

It gets very cold here and I just wait about 30 seconds then go while shifting at low RPM 1500-2000. When I feel a bit of heat from the vent, I then drive normally.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

It is not a great idea to "warm up" any car -- OK, warm it up for 10 seconds and turn on the heated seats from the get-go. Somewhere there is a thread that describes some of the things that MIGHT happen if you warmed up your engine and forgot the transmission was not warmed up as you drove off.

Of course the main thing is that warming up is a waste of fuel. If you don't have heated seats, I have [some] sympathy however. Why doesn't Audi offer a heated steering wheel option for $150 upchage? It seems like Audi will in one year offer a heated steering wheel, then the next year not, then the next year its back again (in the A6 line at least).

I'd be happy to pay a slight upcharge for a heated wheel -- and then, with both a heated wheel and seats, I wouldn't need any warm up, just get in and go!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I get in, start the car... then clean it off, if necessary.. get in.. adjust my seat, stereo, put on the seatbelt.. and drive.

total time, less than 2 minutes.

if it doesnt need to be cleaned off.. less than 30 seconds
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zafi
I pour 2 litres of hot water over the screen, 2 flicks of the windscreen wiper then drive off in S mode because in D it hardly revs above 2000 rpm and takes an age to warm up.
I believe you can crack your windshield by doing that
Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I used to wait until the RPMs dropped to 800 before driving off but I don't do that anymore. My understanding is that the longer the engine is running while it's cold, the worse off it is. So w/ that in mind, I just drive off after putting on my seatbelt and fiddling w/ the radio, and keep it below 3k RPMs for a while.

I too make sure to turn off the AC before shutting the car off so it's not a huge drain on the battery on the next startup. I also make it a habit of straightening out my wheels before shutting the car off because I heard that turning cars on w/ turned wheels in cold environments was bad (something about power steering fluid, which I'm pretty sure w/ don't have but whatever, I baby my car ).
Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Slightly off-topic, but on the same issue. Every morning, I wait about 20-30 seconds and back out of the garage. I put the car in R and hear this strange sound, kind of like a vaccum cleaner or just gears shifting? Then after backing out and putting it into D, the sounds go away.

Does anyone else experience this or have any idea what the sounds are?

Quick Reply: How long do you warm your car up?