A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How long am I expected to wait for a dealer swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that sometimes they say they have the car, when they don't, and they just wait to see if one like the one you want eventually shows up.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I spoke to my sales guy. He says the other dealership says they had a buyer, but he thinks they are sitting on the car. This one was in CT. He found another one in Baltimore. He's going to talk to his GSM and get back to me tonight....hopefully. I don't think he isn't trying, I think the car is in very high demand. These cars are selling as they are built, so lack of inventory seems to be an issue for all dealerships.

If I was willing to deviate exterior and interior color, I would have an easier time finding one. If this one in Baltimore doesn't work out, I may have no choice but to go with another color.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok. He called me 2 minutes before 8. They close at 8 I was thinking I wouldn't hear back.

Anyway, they have the request in to the dealership in Baltimore. So now I wait....again
Old 10-13-2010, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer trades can be tough.

A car can show up in the Audi database, but other salespeople at that dealership can be demoing it or trying to sell it @ the same time.

And if your a large Audi dealer moving lots of cars, you can't drop everything for one customer on an a4 that you might make $300 on.

Everybody wants the world, pay as little as possible & get the car 2 hours later.

Lots of sales managers are sick of screwing around with dealer trades & don't want to even pick up the phone from another dealer asking for a trade. Especially when inventory is so tight.

You're always best in buying off the lot or thinking ahead and ordering. Or asking your salesperson to check their incoming order guide and see what cars are coming in the next 15-30-60 days.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
Dealer trades can be tough.

A car can show up in the Audi database, but other salespeople at that dealership can be demoing it or trying to sell it @ the same time.

And if your a large Audi dealer moving lots of cars, you can't drop everything for one customer on an a4 that you might make $300 on.

Everybody wants the world, pay as little as possible & get the car 2 hours later.

Lots of sales managers are sick of screwing around with dealer trades & don't want to even pick up the phone from another dealer asking for a trade. Especially when inventory is so tight.

You're always best in buying off the lot or thinking ahead and ordering. Or asking your salesperson to check their incoming order guide and see what cars are coming in the next 15-30-60 days.
Before we sold my husbands Jeep, the plan was for him to buy a car and I was going to keep my '08 A4 and buy it at lease end. Well, we decided he would take my car and I would get a new one. That sounded great at the time, but now it's turning into a real chore.

So now I have my heart set on a specific car (unfortunately for me) and I am hoping I can find one. I don't expect the car in 2 hours, but I'm hoping a couple of weeks is all I will have to wait.

The sales person says a lot of their business is doing dealer trades right now, so I'm sure I am not the only one they are trying to locate a car for.

I had never thought of ordering because we thought my husband was buying a different car. I certainly didn't expect this kind of issue with a shortage of cars. From what I am told, they don't have anything coming in until the end of the year/beginning of 2011. And alot of those are sold already.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trlyka
I don't think he isn't trying, I think the car is in very high demand. These cars are selling as they are built, so lack of inventory seems to be an issue for all dealerships.I just spent 30 seconds running 2011 Quartz Gray Metallic, Black interior, Quattro: I came up with 15 in Los Angeles and more in the surrounding areas. There are 40 more closer but not with the black interior. Audi of Downtown Los Angeles actually has 3 2011 A4's in that configuration. I've said this in the past, but I suppose it bears repeating. California has more Audis/Porsches than all of Germany. That's been published numerous times anyways. While here in Northern California, pickings are not as good as Southern California, there's still plenty. I've read that S-Lines account for only 5% of Audi's sold yet they are all over the place here. Obviously Southern California gets the MOST cars of anywhere in the country with Los Angeles leading the way due to the "car culture" there. I have made many trips down south in the past to get the car I wanted. Perhaps it might be a nice time to fly out and take a road tip across country in your new Audi. I had a great time doing that for a special Alfa Romeo that I flew to Florida to pickup about 8 years ago. A great adventure. I'd feel even more comfortable cruising in the new A4 cross country. The Alfa has no AC and boy were there times that I missed a little bit of cool air so I'd end up cruising faster to cool down. I'm lucky I didn't end up in jail but I did get some warnings from law enforcement along the way

If I was willing to deviate exterior and interior color, I would have an easier time finding one. If this one in Baltimore doesn't work out, I may have no choice but to go with another color.
Hook. Line. Sinker. that's exactly what I told you they are waiting for you to do. With that doubt already creeping in, you might as well just settle and give up. Save yourself some time and headaches. OR travel to get what you want. OR Order what you want. After all this, I can't believe that you are already feeling defeated as if you are the problem because of the choice that you made on a color combination that pleases you. Of course, if you are not buying and just leasing, who cares since you'll just dump it for something else in a few years. Personally, I keep my cars. In fact that's the number one gripe from my wife, too many cars. I just tell her that like her they are keepers. And I mean that she has put up with my collecting cars without ever asking me to sell any of them and I love her for that. When I do sell one here and there or give one away, it's a decision that I know I've made myself and I live with it for better or worse.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your own search. Use Autotrader and put in new cars only and then the exact price MSRP. You'll get an idea about what's out there....

John.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I had hope. Shoot me

I am going to start calling around to dealerships in NJ first and then branch out from there. My Mom volunteered to help with the calling. I just don't have the time during the day with being at work. I'll be asking not only what's in their stock, but what's coming in off the ship. At this point, I am willing to wait a little longer and drive to get it.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

"The waiting is the hardest part." Just ask Tom Petty. He'll sing all about it for you. When you get your car, that should be the first song you play in it.

Echoing what QUA77RO said a few posts ago, Southern California Audi lots are filled with a variety of grey 2011 Audi A4s. Flying across the country to pick up a new car, then driving it back to your home, could be a neat adventure.

Southern California really is a hotbed of enthusiasm for German performance cars. There are more M-badged BMW's driving at speed around Los Angeles alone than were ever built by the factory. Now that's real enthusiasm for German cars.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Brian Cecil
There are more M-badged BMW's driving at speed around Los Angeles alone than were ever built by the factory. Now that's real enthusiasm for German cars.

Quick Reply: How long am I expected to wait for a dealer swap?