A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How good is 2009 A4 handling without the sport package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To me and my wife, the sport package makes a big difference.

We're no autocrossers, but we've test driven non-sport A4s and we prefer the tighter handling of the sport package-equipped A4s.

My 02 A4 Avant had sport and my wife's 06 A4 Sedan has sport (06 was the year that the S-Line package actually came with the sport package). I know I missed it when I got my 06 A3 without sport (but that's a different car altogether).

We test drove a B8 Avant with sport a couple of weeks ago and loved it. For us, the next car will definitely have sport package.

We also live in SoCal, but we don't do any snow driving at all, so can't help you there.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Could it be wider tires that are causing the issues?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default no problems either way as long as you have snow tires. You will love snow/ice driving if you have

a good set of snows.
But what you get depends on where you live.
If you get slushy snow and not much worse, you can get performance snows.
If you get lots of snow - powder or heavy snow, get good snow tires.
If you live in a climate like me with snow from November to mid-April and where it is dry, the snow essentially dehydrates and gets hard like ice. Lots of ice here and you want to make sure that you have winters that are geared towards ice.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My observations with Audi A3 & Mag Ride Sport Pkg...

I know this doesn't totally apply to the A4 but my new A3 with Magnetic Ride Sport has been an interesting experience. My A3 has sport springs and two level adjustable Delphi dampers, the same system, in principal, used in the TT, A8, Ferrari, Corvette and upcoming VW Mark VI GTI. It appears that the "normal" setting on the shocks is not as "stiff" as the standard Audi sport pkg shocks. But the Mag Ride "sport" setting is almost too much, IMHO. I've had sport suspensions on almost all my previous cars - some factory, some aftermarket, so I AM quite familiar with sport suspension behaviors. I've driven both A3 & A4 standard & sport suspension models. In my estimation, I would rank the suspensions in terms of control & handling in this way:

Stock A3/A4 < A3 MagRide Normal < A3/A4 Sport < A3 MagRide Sport

I've found the A3's Mag Ride on "Normal" to be a very nice combo - it handles well but is still comfortable. The Mag Ride with "Sport" engaged is definitely very edgy and tight, I think likely beyond standard sport in A3 & A4.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default base suspension feels like the sport suspension on the B5

and just a notch less sporty than the B6/7 sport set up. the sport suspension on the B8 feels much like my B7 S4's. overall audi is putting more sporty dialing into it's base set up. if you cannot afford the sports package have no fear. besides- you can always go aftermarket when you have the cash.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd get ADS without the sport package and get the best of both worlds. . .
Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM

I don't think the two can be combined can they? ADS already has sport mode and sits 20mm lower.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Once you've gone Sport, you'll never...go...ummm...Schwartz...

I test drove cars both with the ADS and with the Sport Package and I distinctly preferred the Sport Handling to any ADS setting (even dynamic).
Old 01-30-2009, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

You can order ADS without ordering the sport package according to Audiusa.com
Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I'm heavily leaning toward the standard suspension at this point.

If I never drove in snow and if I was already spoiled by a tight sport suspension, I would opt for the sport package.

From what I have read, the standard suspension will be a huge improvement from what I am used to in my truck.

Quick Reply: How good is 2009 A4 handling without the sport package?