A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Motorised trunk on the Avant

Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorised trunk on the Avant

I realise that most of you can't get the Avant, but is there anyone who knows how the operation of the trunk works?

Mostly I park my car with no height restriction so would want the trunk to open fully. Occasionally I park somewhere where I would need reduced opening height.

How easy would it be to use the motorised trunk in my situation... can you set two opening heights? Or manually control it as it is opening?

Thanks for any info!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can only preset one opening height not two. You can however stop it by pressing the close button on the rear hatch when you want it to stop. I can't recall if it's then one press or two to have it close again.

I can double check my owner's manual if you like.

Hope this helps,

P
Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks... no need to hunt down the manual it seems reasonable what you say. It is actually very rarely that I park in the restricted spot so manually stopping it from opening is no big deal.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

As my fellow Canuk posted only one preset opening height can be set.

You can manually overide the operation by pressing the trunk button. Press once to stop operation and press again it will reverse operation.

If it was opening once you press the button a second time it will close the trunk. If it was closing and you stop it once you press the buttin again it will open the trunk.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you was a regular low height user then I'd say set it low and then you can manually push past for full height use.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Since so many avant owners are posting I hope you don't mind me added a second part to the question.

With my avant I have the rear hatch set to the highest opening position yet I'm able to push it up manually about another 1/2 inch. I've tried holding the button in that position thinking it will go there but it never does.

Is this normal? My thinking was that the colder weather is preventing it from going to that point.

Thoughts?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I tried doing that on mine a couple of times.

It seems it's always got a fraction more in hand if you give it a small push.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
I tried doing that on mine a couple of times.

It seems it's always got a fraction more in hand if you give it a small push.
Sounds like good design to stop the motor just before the absolute mechanical limit. Maybe it's like my Sedan where the end stop has some kind of dampening rubber, so that the stop point is somewhat diffuse.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can now sleep

Thanks gents.

P
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Canuk1.8T
Since so many avant owners are posting I hope you don't mind me added a second part to the question.

With my avant I have the rear hatch set to the highest opening position yet I'm able to push it up manually about another 1/2 inch. I've tried holding the button in that position thinking it will go there but it never does.

Is this normal? My thinking was that the colder weather is preventing it from going to that point.

Thoughts?
Canuk1.8T, we have the exact same car, and I had the exact same question not too long ago! I found this particularly irritating and thought it was a result of the cold weather, spent 20 minutes trying to reprogram it to open at the maximum.

Another side note, has anyone found a way to program the remote and driver door button to close the hatch? I find the inability to do so quite irritating, especially if Lexus allows it. My dealer has been confronted with this issue before and said that this feature could not be added.

Another side note, I took my car to the dealer last week to receive a complimentary car wash and once I returned home, I noticed a light scratch on the passenger side front door. It looks like there was a small piece of grit stuck in the cloth, since the scratch curves top to bottom (The circular motion you use to clean). Do you think I should bring this to the dealer’s attention next time? I do not want to kick a fuss, but it really irritates me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motorised trunk on the Avant