A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Is this a good deal?

Old 06-10-2014, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

I have a distrust of dealerships so I want to throw this out to the forum for some advice. 2 weeks ago I bought a 2014 A4 Premium Plus, w/sports pkg & side assist. I wanted to get MMI/nav but I was talked out of it by my wife. I paid $38,800k and after tax + audi care $41,500. I put $10k down and financed
$31,500.

I really want the mmi/nav package and finally got my wife to agree so I emailed the dealer and asked if we could work something out. He found my exact same color car with the same packages I have plus mmi/nav and premium sound and is offering me $42k out the door.

He said he will give me trade in value of $35,000 for my which means I have trade in equity of $3500. He is throwing in an extra $500 so I can apply a total of $4000 towards the new car which means I would finance $38k. He says that I paid about $2600 in tax, fees, and audicare on the old car plus another $600 in tax and fees on the new car so out of my $10k downpayment, I get $4k back in trade equity and I lose about $3200 in taxes/fees. so he is claiming that I am getting this new car with about $4k in extra options and only paying an additional $2700.

This doesn't make sense to me as the way I see it I am currently financing $31,500 and he is asking me to finance $38000 for $4k in extra options.

Am I right?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I have never done a trade so quickly as this, I did do one after 3 months and, to put it simply, you take a huge hit financially. In your situation, the cost of the new car as compared to what you PAID for your present car is good - the navigation and sound system add up to well more. However, in addition to the depreciation on your present car, you will completely lose all of the taxes, fees and AudiCare payment and there is no getting that stuff back. This is what is eating up your prior down payment and making it necessary for you to finance a higher amount.
You need to decide how much that stuff means to you relative to the extra payment you will make each month. I have one car with nav and one without - we use a Garmin in that one. I use my nav rarely because I usually know where I am and where I am going - although I will say that when you need them it is nice to have. I could not possibly live without a premium sound system....that's a whole different story!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback. You are right in that I am losing the taxes (~$1150), fees ($400) and audicare ($900). The tax on the trade is much less ($~200) since I am paying tax on only the difference. The loss on the Audicare is what is killing me. What appeals to me about the new car is the backup camera and premium sound. My brain is telling me not to do this deal, but I really want that other stuff...
Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 12VMan
Thanks for the feedback. You are right in that I am losing the taxes (~$1150), fees ($400) and audicare ($900). The tax on the trade is much less ($~200) since I am paying tax on only the difference. The loss on the Audicare is what is killing me. What appeals to me about the new car is the backup camera and premium sound. My brain is telling me not to do this deal, but I really want that other stuff...
buy what you want dude, but that's a lot of money that you can save by turning your head to look out the back.

premium sound isn't that much more premium. Maybe if you're a hardcore audiophile, but even then, between road noise and engine music, you're still in a car, not a soundbooth.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does the MMI included with that nav package give anything that makes it more worth it? Voice control, anything else?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made the mistake of getting my '11 without a bunch of options.... and I always regretted it.

I was waffling on the MMI on the '14. But I'm SO glad I got it. Higher res screen, bigger screen, modern interface, and all the controls down on the center console. And bluetooth music streaming! Also the backup camera is cool. I don't need NAV - but I LOVE the realtime traffic that comes free for 6 years. It has some voice control.. but I haven't used it so I can't tell you much about it.

Also might as well get the B&O. It sounds much better. It's not mind blowing - but for $875 it's worth it.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is the problem with brains - they get in the way of what we want.....if you are anything like me, you're going to end up buying the fully equipped car...i did and despite the hit financially, i've certainly enjoyed the car...
Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm leaning that way but I'm trying to figure out how much of a hit I'm taking financially first since I'm not good at the numbers game they play. The dealer claims I'm only paying approx. $2700 more for the car but I don't buy that. If that were the case then I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I'm not convinced.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

You might see if you are eligible for any Audi loyalty rebate as well. I see $1000 loyalty rebate available...

Last edited by mjfloyd1; 06-10-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

What state do you live in? Do you pay sales tax on the difference between the new car agreed price and the trade? It's difficult to figure it all out without knowing your sales tax percentage as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?