A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

electro-mech. brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 AM
dfc
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electro-mech. brakes

as these are completely new to me, can someone direct me to a source that can explain them [specifically regards to manual trannies]?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just posted this in another thread. It may give you some of the information you are after -- it's from the Audi Glossary, UK Edition (which explains the spelling of "centre" and "manoeuvre" which the Pilgrims forgot on the way over):

The electromechanical parking brake has little in common with a conventional handbrake. It is resistant to wear, its braking effect is permanently constant and it cannot lock. The electromechanical parking brake is activated by pulling the small electric lever on the centre console, which replaces the conventional handbrake lever. The parking brake is released automatically when setting off. It does not have to be released manually even when performing a hill start. The integral starting assist function determines the selected gear, accelerator position, engine speed, torque, direction of travel and the vehicle's angle of inclination. This prevents the car from rolling back when the parking brake is released automatically.

The brake can only be released manually if the foot brake is depressed at the same time. In the event of an emergency braking manoeuvre via the parking brake, the vehicle can be braked considerably more effectively than with a conventional handbrake because in this case braking takes place via the normal service brake with the aid of the vehicle's electronic stabilization program (ESP) functions. All the benefits of the anti-lock braking system (ABS) and electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) are exploited.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dfc
as these are completely new to me, can someone direct me to a source that can explain them [specifically regards to manual trannies]?
I'm not aware of any documentation, but one thing I was concerned about while shopping was the roll-back on a hill, since the usual ebrake trick wouldnt work... but the way the electronic ebrake works, you can turn it on once you come to a stop, and once traffic starts moving again you just lift your foot off the brake pedal and ease into gear like normal - once the ebrake feels enough pull, it will release automatically. No rollback whatsoever.

Which makes me curious - if someone pushed hard enough while it was parked, would the ebrake release? Or does it only release like that while the engine is running? hopefully the latter!

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'd still prefer a dipstick and a hand brake to the electronic versions. I'll admit though that not having the hand brake taking up space does make the center console a whole lot slicker
Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Some technical info to add:

-To change the rear brake pads or rotors, you will need a VCDS or similar to put the brake in "service mode"

-The brake servos are likely expensive to replace when they break, but at least you don't have to fool around under the car to replace the brake cables and adjust them.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The e-brake will only release if you push on the gas pedal. Great for hills and also solves the "I just drove 10 miles with the parking break on because I forgot to release it" problem.

Originally Posted by cparson
Which makes me curious - if someone pushed hard enough while it was parked, would the ebrake release? Or does it only release like that while the engine is running? hopefully the latter!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also note that the e-brake will only release automatically if you have your seatbelt on. If not, you have to manually release the e-brake (with your foot on the brake).