A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Drone from Stasis exhaust? This might be your problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drone from Stasis exhaust? This might be your problem...

Took my car into the shop to find out why my exhaust was droning. They found two cracks in the mid-muffler. The one in the picture was 4in long, the other one was a little less than an inch. Thanks to Jared at Stasis for getting this sorted out, and also to the guys at EPWerks.

Mid-muffler:

4 inch crack:
Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtysoil
Took my car into the shop to find out why my exhaust was droning. They found two cracks in the mid-muffler. The one in the picture was 4in long, the other one was a little less than an inch. Thanks to Jared at Stasis for getting this sorted out, and also to the guys at EPWerks.

4 inch crack:
At least you obviously have Version 2 of the exhaust. Version 1 used spot welds instead of the seam weld. I had all the spotwelds fail on track and the racket was horrendous. Henry Hsu, Stasis Chief Engineer tore it down and the whole baffle was flopping around inside. Think shaking a can within a can for the whole way home. At least they discovered that and upgraded the welds to seam welds.

I have never seen any other Stasis exhaust V2 fail at that weld like yours and I "product test" the heck out of them at the track. It seems like maybe the back of the weld wasn't purged properly. Or maybe just a "bad" unit. It can happen.

That said, I was really pleased at how Stasis took care of us during the replacement process. I'm glad to hear that Jared is getting you squared away properly.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently they are on v3 now. The welds on the new part were more robust. There is also a grid pattern of welds on both the top and bottom pans that were not present on the part that failed.

Here is a picture of the new part: