A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Does the iPhone 5 work with our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

My iPhone 5 works exactly as my iPhone 4 did in my B8 S4 with the AMI cable and the Lightning adapter. If your car has an AMI adapter in the glovebox (whether you have just the AMI or a full MMI system), the iPhone 5 will work with it. I'm also using an
iTeck extension cable iTeck extension cable
, which allows me to keep the iPhone within reach. The Lightning to 30-pin adapter is on the end of that cable. Eventually, I expect there to be a Lightning-compatible extension cable that does the same thing without needing to use the adapter.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dropshadow
I'm also using an iTeck extension cable, which allows me to keep the iPhone within reach.
Just a quick question about that extension cable, do you hear any static or ticking when using it? I have tried a different brand but I hear a static tick once a second or so with it.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickG
Just a quick question about that extension cable, do you hear any static or ticking when using it? I have tried a different brand but I hear a static tick once a second or so with it.
I haven't noticed any with mine.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default pandora or Spotify work as well?

My iPhone 5 works exactly as my iPhone 4 did in my B8 S4 with the AMI cable and the Lightning adapter. If your car has an AMI adapter in the glovebox (whether you have just the AMI or a full MMI system), the iPhone 5 will work with it. I'm also using an iTeck extension cable, which allows me to keep the iPhone within reach. The Lightning to 30-pin adapter is on the end of that cable. Eventually, I expect there to be a Lightning-compatible extension cable that does the same thing without needing to use the adapter.
Do Pandora and Spotify work as well? I have a 30 t0 8 pin adapter from apple and music from the iphone works but not from spotify or Pandora? anyone figure this out?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rav6370
Do Pandora and Spotify work as well? I have a 30 t0 8 pin adapter from apple and music from the iphone works but not from spotify or Pandora? anyone figure this out?
Yes, everything works fine. You have to use the Spotify & Pandora apps on the phone, they don't work through the dash controls.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default IPhone 5 WORKS with MMI

My wife and I read all the hoopla in the forums, mostly Apple ones, about how the iPod function wouldn't work with the 30 pin to lightning adapter. I was so convinced I didn't even try. My wife, on the other hand, said "This sounds wrong. Why don't we just try it and see for ourselves?" I didn't want to bother, but she insisted, so....

It works perfectly. We have a 2012 A6 and a 2012 Q5. Both have NO PROBLEM using the Apple original adapter, either the cable type or the plug adapter type.

Next time, I'm just going to find out myself before believing what I read on the internet. . . .
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michaelmlevin
It works perfectly. We have a 2012 A6 and a 2012 Q5. Both have NO PROBLEM using the Apple original adapter, either the cable type or the plug adapter type.

Next time, I'm just going to find out myself before believing what I read on the internet. . . .
Some people (see earlier messages in this thread) did find various problems with the iPhone 5 and the A4--you don't have an A4. I'm not sure if there are some hardware differences between your cars and the the A4 (B8 model).

But I hope your experience is predictive, since I have two months left until I get an iPhone 5.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by perdido34
Some people (see earlier messages in this thread) did find various problems with the iPhone 5 and the A4--you don't have an A4. I'm not sure if there are some hardware differences between your cars and the the A4 (B8 model).

But I hope your experience is predictive, since I have two months left until I get an iPhone 5.
I have a B8 A4. The Lightning adapter works.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for clarifying...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a B8 A4. The Lightning adapter works.
It just won't pass video.

Quick Reply: Does the iPhone 5 work with our cars?