A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Does anyone feel like me that Audi with the release of the A4 has made you want to look at other car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone feel like me that Audi with the release of the A4 has made you want to look at other car

manufacturers?

I like the car but the pricing and the complexity and astronomical costs around options has really turned me off big time. Basically Audi is nickel and diming us to death. Taking away the manual on the 3.2 is shocking. Sales guy told me he has lost 5 sales because of that alone. He said the entire dealership in 2 weeks only sold 2 A4's. I live in a RICH neighborhood too. Off the record the sales guy said that he wasn't happy at all at what Audi was doing with options and prices. He only said this after I told him that I was going to look at other car manufacterers. I actually went down to the dealership to buy a car and ended up so disappointed.

I wasn't expecting this AT ALL so I am still in shock. Actually I am made at Audi.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

No.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:11 AM

Not in the slightest.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default I'm also gonna look at a VW GTI, Infiniti G37 and another 335 sedan

Lack of a 3.2 manual is also very disappointing to me. I am hoping that in a year they will bring it over but I'm not holding my breath. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. They don't bring manual cars, so people can't buy them. Then they turn around and say we can't make a business case for it since people aren't buying manual cars.

All I know is that BMW continues to offer manual transmissions on the entire line-up of the 1-, 3- and 5-Series plus the X3 SUV. Audi claims to want to expand sales but I don't know how they can do it while eliminating choices.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default For me, it was just not the bang for the buck...

I ended up getting an S5 because by the time I went to the premium plus package in order to get the sport package with the 19" wheels the price was much closer than I expected. And, the only way to get the manual was with the 2.0T. I have the 2.0T in my current B7 but it shouldn't end up being priced so close to an S5 with the V8.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had 4 A4s in the last ten years and it may be time for a change.

My disposable income has decreased with family obiligations. After the mortgage and child care is paid for, the car budget is tighter than ever. I'm at the point that even if I had the money, I don't want to spend it on something that is so expensive and depreciates so fast. I might get another CPO Audi, but a new four cylinder for more than 40 is just silly. I've been thinking of a 4 door GTI or maybe a WRX hatchback.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Current Score 3 to 2. 3 looking at other manufacturers, 2 are not (but seems both already bought)
Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The new A4 is so compelling that I'm likely purchasing a new A4 instead of a used A8 as planned.

It's got more space and the gadgeteria I wanted from the A8 and it is the first A4 since my B5 that's been visually interesting and attractive to me.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thats odd

We've been selling close to one a day since launch.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi is FORCING me...

...because of the lack of a MT Avant, to either consider other options, or try to hold out for another year and hope the range of Audi choices improves.

I'd say lack of cloth seats (cloth sports would be ideal!) is also an issue, but as near as I can tell I really don't have alternatives for those elsewhere, either.

For what I need - MT AWD Sports Wagon w/ ~200HP, about the size of the A4 - there really aren't many suitable options:

* Saab 2.0T XWD Wagon (out this fall)

* Subaru Outback XT (unfortunately, no motor in the 200HP range, so take a hit on fuel mileage)

Although I know they are great-driving cars, the current BMWs are just too ugly for me (3 series is merely ugly; the 5 series is simply hideous!).

I don't want all the wiz-bang options, so pricing isn't really an issue. I'd probably do Premium, maybe add the sport package (although I'm hesitant to go to 18" wheels).

I don't often find myself ogling exhaust pipes, so...

Hopefully my B5 Avant will hold out for awhile longer, and Audi offers a bit more choice!

Quick Reply: Does anyone feel like me that Audi with the release of the A4 has made you want to look at other car