A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Does anybody else hate their rain sensing wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
how do you all know it's the same sensor? AFAIK the rain sensor is part of the windshield mount on the windshield (the dark circle,etc.). I know this because when I was thinking of replacing my windshield, the glass guy told me to make sure I specifically ask for the windshield with rain sensor (i.e. there's a windshield with and one without). The sensor for the headlights is definitely not on the windshield and I find it hard to believe they use the same sensor. I think someone is just making this up. Last time I read, rain sensors use infared light to detect drops of water, etc. how the hell could this be used for headlights?!?
It says in the manual more or less. On page 37 in the EU pdf manual it explains if the sensor is defective. Fuse number 12 powers 1 sensor called "Rain and Light sensor."
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rain sensing wipers work perfectly now. I changed my auto headlight setting from late to med and presto, the rain sensing wipers work to my liking. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had them on my b7 and now b8...They are the best! Keep it at the lowest setting and its highers and lowers the speen (on auto) depending on the rain. I've never had a problem on highway or city traffic. Occasionally i have to put it on full blast but thats at 75mph thruway speed with tractor trailor or suv in front of me
Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm only at 1000 miles, so i don't have a ton of experience with them - but love how they operate so far!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great ... until the first snowstorm. So bad in the snow that you may want to stay home when it snows.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rain sensing wipers can be changed to regular intermittent

The rain sensing wipers on my '09 A4 have never worked well....today the dealer discovered that you can go into the computer and disable them without affecting the automatic lights. I'm now happy as can be with regular intermittent wipers with 4 settings!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shs92645
The rain sensing wipers on my '09 A4 have never worked well....today the dealer discovered that you can go into the computer and disable them without affecting the automatic lights. I'm now happy as can be with regular intermittent wipers with 4 settings!
Whoa! I want this! I wonder if the procedure is common knowledge among dealerships at this point?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I successfully disabled the rain sensor with vagcom but this would have affected the light sensor too probably:

09-Electric
07-coding
long coding helper
byte 22 - rain/light sensor installed (checkbox)

I unchecked this and it seemed to make the wipers run in regular intermittent modes while at speed. The wipers did slow and stop at times when the car was stopped. I re-enabled the rain sensor awhile later to see if I'd get used to the sensor and find it useful. I'm still on the fence on it. Why not allow the intermittent settings to be intermittent and have a different setting on the stalk for the rain sensor? Easier to mass produce the same wiper stalk I guess. As for the light sensor, I don't use it at all. I run with parking lights during the day and manually turn the headlights on at night.

If one of you does not have the ross-tech cable and really wants me to test it out more between the wipers and lights, I can do it soon. I did not see a dedicated option for just the rain sensor with vagcom but I may have missed it or it is not obvious.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Mist
What setting in the MMI do you have your auto headlights set on? The auto wipers use the same sensor to determine when to come on. If you have the headlights to not come on till it gets quite dark, your wipers don't come on until your screen is very wet.
I tried this in one of our cars and did not notice any change in behavior. I may try again - - the Auto wipers in our A6 were going berserk last time I drove it in the rain
Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I tried this in one of our cars and did not notice any change in behavior. I may try again - - the Auto wipers in our A6 were going berserk last time I drove it in the rain
I did notice any difference either.

Quick Reply: Does anybody else hate their rain sensing wipers?